“Fabulous Meal - Good Kids choice”

Jiko - The Cooking Place
Ranked #22 of 3,777 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Meal - Good Kids choice”
Reviewed September 20, 2007

We ate here while staying at AKL, we turned up without a reservation and got seated immediately.

Our waiter was wonderful and really new his stuff. The food and wine were delicious, and the service first class.

We ate here with our 5 year old daughter, and it was really nice to have a childs menu that didn't consist of chicken nuggets and fries. We got her a lovely chicken breast with fresh vegetables, I would have been happy eating it.

The only fault was the air-con was on so high it was freezing.

Overall a great place to dine.

2 Thank N1cky

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Orlando, FL
“Good food, terrible service”
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Food was pretty darn good. Innovative vegetarian food and the lamb was excellent as well. Very good wine selection. But, the service was worse than that found at a Circle-K! Unbelievably bad. Overall, we liked the place but could not believe how bad the server was (despite an excellent staff to assist him), for the price.

2 Thank Floridatravel_7
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and food - a great experience”
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and booked in here one night when we could not get a table at Boma. So glad we did!
It had an extensive childrens menu with healthier choices than most - they don't do fries but our very helpful waiter popped to Boma to get some for my awkward son!
The adults menu was great. I am sometimes picky but would have happily eaten any of the starters. They were a good size too. My 'Taste of Africa' was 3 different breads and 3 gorgeous dips - it would easily of done both of us. The main courses were lovely and beautifully cooked and presented - I can really recommend the Lamb Shanks.
Our waiter was helful and attentive all night even though the restaurant was quite busy.

3 Thank debbie2618
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“An exquisite meal with fascinating flavors”
Reviewed August 14, 2007

I knew before coming here that Jiko prides itself on its "flavors." The waiter would even ask us "How are the flavors?" instead of the more typical "How is your meal?" Now that I've eaten at Jiko, I will admit that they have a right to be a little smug about their flavors. The food was absolutely outstanding, and the flavor combinations were truly original and delicious.

In August 2007 I went with four other family members, so first we shared three appetizers: the barbeque flatbread, the lentil pastilla, and the "Taste of Africa." One of the "Taste of Africa" breads was too spicy for much of our group, but I loved it, especially with the ginger-y tikka masala. The barbeque flatbread was everyone's favorite. It was almost like a pizza: rich baked dough covered in veggies and a fantastic, slightly sweet sauce.

Of the entrees, we felt the best one at our table was the seared halibut. But I also thoroughly enjoyed the scallops. The pap was a little strange, but very well seasoned. Savory and spicy. The pork was beyond tender, but unfortunately undercooked (we'd asked for it to be well done).

Our waiter was very attentive and friendly, and the restaurant decor is lovely. Be sure to arrive early so that you can watch the giraffes, zebras, flamingos, and other animals outside a bit. The restaurant is rather pricey, but we were very pleased with the overall experience, and highly recommend Jiko to anyone visiting Orlando!

4 Thank Marywhotravels
Orlando
“Super Food; Small Portions; Very Pricey”
Reviewed August 14, 2007

The food here is awesome! Food-wise this is one of Disney's top 3 restaurants. However, I can't give it a perfect score because of a few things. First, the portions are small considering how much you pay, especially the tamale appetizer. We had a party of 4 and ordered this appetizer to share but there were only two very tiny tamales so each person only got about half a bite. The salad appetizer was pretty small too. The flatbread appetizer was normal size and the best of all the appetizers by far, it was excellent. I had the Filet over the white/mac/cheese with red wine sauce. The filet and red wine sauce were perfect one of the best steaks I ever have eaten, and I have eaten a lot of nice steaks. The red wine sauce was great as well. It should have just been the steak and wine sauce with the mac/cheese on the side. The filet was a bit small compared to ones you get at places like Ruth Chris. The small portion of white mac/cheese was undercooked and nothing special. It would be better as a side in its own dish baked better. I had the Tusker beer which is excellent, someone else had the Casablanca beer which I tasted (nothing special). I tired the porf tenderloin dish too which was the best pork (not a big pork eater here) I have had.

I say go for the filet or pork tenderloin, get the flatbread appetizers and Tusker beer and you will enjoy. Bring your paycheck though because this place is pricey. Overall, I would definitely recommend and would love to eat there again, as I now know what to get.

2 Thank OrlandoReviewer