“Excellent food, service & ambience”

Jiko - The Cooking Place
Ranked #21 of 3,924 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time dining at this particular WDW restaurant, and I was NOT disappointed! I ordered the duck roll as an appetizer, and the chicken flat bread as a meal. Both were amazing!! They also have a notable wine list. Saudia, my server was very attentive and provided superb service. Finally, the ambience of this place was relaxing and just beautiful. I love the warm towels with Rosemary they give you to freshen up before you start your meal. I was here on a Wednesday night, but if you're planning to dine on a weekend, definitely make reservations!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My family went to Jiko because some other family recommended it to us. It wasn't until we got there when we realized that they have never actually been there. The food was not very good except for the chicken flatbread which was addictive. I got the steak and it was not cooked great at all. I would only come back for the chicken flat bread. Even the regular bread was gross. Plus this meal was super over priced even for us when we got a 20% discount for being Disney workers! Never coming back here again.

4  Thank Rdhoff
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Wow.
This place is incredible, we was 15 minutes late as we have just flew in from England for our honeymoon In Orlando, but this did not bother them, we went to the bar and had a cocktail each, highly recommend the "Hanging out in Cape Town" very strong though
We sat and 'Oscar' was our waiter, he was so friendly and helpful, we had some bread come to our table with this fantastic butter they specialise In, the flavours was unreal
We ordered the duck roll, and wild boar for starters both Absolutely out of this world, and I had the pork loin for mains which was sweet and full of flavour same for my spouses lamb, cooked to perfection and defiantly the best meal I've had in a long long time x worth the money ! And it's quite dress....

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I was really looking forward to Jiko on the last night of our vacation. The food was so spicy that our teenagers couldn't eat it (and they are very adventurous eaters). I would have thought that the waiter might have warned us about the spice. Also my husbands scallops were raw and cold. This was after waiting for a long time and the waiter admitting that they had to redo our meal once already. For the price, I would like to see Jiko be better all around. With so many good choices at Disney, we won't be back.

1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a gear to place to summon up your African adventure, Disney style. Make sure you make a reservation, and be prepared to wait a little bit. Stroll through the resort, marvel at the amazing lobby, and then be ready to sample some African culinary delights. The menu consists of mostly American friendly items, but the atmosphere is great. Make sure you try their soups and the zebra deserts!

1  Thank aiordana