“Simply delicious”

Jiko - The Cooking Place
Ranked #24 of 3,763 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Simply delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stop back at Jiko during occasional business trips to Orlando. The food and experience are awesome! Went there this week w/o a reservation on a solo trip. The hostess was awesome, and sat at my favorite seat - the counter across from the chefs. When I asked for vegetation options, they had three menus. Regulars, vegetarian and vegan. The vegetarian menus were items not on the regular menu. The chef let me customize my order a bit further. Above all this, the food was outstanding....one of my favorite restaurants around the world.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Estero, Florida
“Very unique and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We loved the lobby of the resort and the restaurant menu was unusual. We enjoyed some new tastes but they still had my husbands favorite fillet. The waiter was knowledgeable although slightly condescending concerning the wine list which was extensive. We had a party of 6 and thoroughly enjoyed the appetizers and dinner.

Visited September 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Amazing Anniversary Spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have celebrated anniversaries ,birthdays, and other events here and this place is definitely one of the top restaurants in Orlando!! Their wine list will blow your mind- so many choices!! I'm vegetarian and their veg options are best of the best! Flavors you can't even describe! My husband has had some of the best steaks ever here and I think he would go here just for the filet-phenomenal! The atmosphere and culture are super cool, different, and makes you feel like you crossed the ocean to get here! They have some cool martinis too! A little too pricey for us to visit often but when we want to celebrate, this is our top choice and the management and staff always make us want to come back!

• Visited February 2013
Elon, North Carolina
“Delicious and Different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on the great reviews here on Trip Advisor. The service was excellent and without a doubt the seared duck was the best duck I have ever had. The only problem I had with the restaurant was the kids that surrounded us. Keep in mind this is a Disney hotel and despite the very high prices (my entree was $40) - there is no guarantee you won't have a screaming 2 year old next to you. Excellent wine selection too. Nothing good on draft.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Not for everyone......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us and we also knew it got great reviews. I want to be very fair because there were some very nice things about this restaurant. I would love for this review to just help folks make an informed decision based on what they are looking for. Pros: beautifully appointed and vey tasteful decor, romantic atmosphere but, many families were there enjoying it as well, service was very good and the waitress was lovely. Cons: There were two of us dining and we ordered the Filet dinner, a salad and a glass of wine each and with tip we spent $170. the menu is very exotic and gives you a taste of S. Africa but it was almost too exotic. The portions were too small for my Husband, but we both agreed the the presentation was beautiful.
The steak was good but not as special as I thought it would be based on the reviews. The Mac
and cheese many raved about that can still be ordered even though it has been removed from
the menu still has us wondering what was so special. We are not opposed to paying more for a nice dinner, but we left feeling underwhelmed