“Amazing Anniversary Spot!”

Ranked #19 of 3,849 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have celebrated anniversaries ,birthdays, and other events here and this place is definitely one of the top restaurants in Orlando!! Their wine list will blow your mind- so many choices!! I'm vegetarian and their veg options are best of the best! Flavors you can't even describe! My husband has had some of the best steaks ever here and I think he would go here just for the filet-phenomenal! The atmosphere and culture are super cool, different, and makes you feel like you crossed the ocean to get here! They have some cool martinis too! A little too pricey for us to visit often but when we want to celebrate, this is our top choice and the management and staff always make us want to come back!

There are newer reviews for Jiko - The Cooking Place

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I chose this restaurant based on the great reviews here on Trip Advisor. The service was excellent and without a doubt the seared duck was the best duck I have ever had. The only problem I had with the restaurant was the kids that surrounded us. Keep in mind this is a Disney hotel and despite the very high prices (my entree was $40) - there is no guarantee you won't have a screaming 2 year old next to you. Excellent wine selection too. Nothing good on draft.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us and we also knew it got great reviews. I want to be very fair because there were some very nice things about this restaurant. I would love for this review to just help folks make an informed decision based on what they are looking for. Pros: beautifully appointed and vey tasteful decor, romantic atmosphere but, many families were there enjoying it as well, service was very good and the waitress was lovely. Cons: There were two of us dining and we ordered the Filet dinner, a salad and a glass of wine each and with tip we spent $170. the menu is very exotic and gives you a taste of S. Africa but it was almost too exotic. The portions were too small for my Husband, but we both agreed the the presentation was beautiful.
The steak was good but not as special as I thought it would be based on the reviews. The Mac
and cheese many raved about that can still be ordered even though it has been removed from
the menu still has us wondering what was so special. We are not opposed to paying more for a nice dinner, but we left feeling underwhelmed

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had an excellent meal with friends at Jiko. Every piece of the experience was perfect - food, service, atmosphere were all top notch.

We arrived a little early for our reservation, but were seated promptly at a comfy booth in the middle of the dining room. The person who sat us brought warm towels, spritzed with rose water, for us to use on our hands and face and it was very refreshing after being out in the sun all day. She also gave us a run down of the menu and the wine list before our server arrived.

The restaurant has the largest selection of South African wines outside of South Africa, and it is a very impresive list, so we appreciated the server's assistance with choosing one to go with our meal. We ended up with a wonderful pinot noir that nicely complemented the seafood dishes we all ordered.

We started with an amuse bouche of roasted boar that was amazing. I almost wish I had ordered a full entree of this! Next we had the Taste of Africa selection of breads and dips and an order of Fire-roasted oysters on the half shell. The selection of dips was flavorful and delicious. All had very complex flavors with African-inspired spices. A great way to get a sample of the flavors to come. The oysters were fresh and only very lightly roasted. The homemade hot sauce and horseradish were a nice complement.

For main courses, we all had seafood. I had the jerked scallops, which were perfectly cooked and delicious with the accompanying curry sauce. The monkfish my friend ordered, and I had a taste of, was also delicious. Our third dining companion had the whole snapper and loved it, as well.

For dessert we all shared the Kenyan coffee creme brulee and the white chocolate cheesecake with toasted coconut and mango sauce. Both were devine! I was so full, but couldn't stop eating the cheesecake!

As with most of the high-end Disney resort restaurants, the decor was outstanding. I love the big floor to ceiling windows looking out over a replica of Victoria Falls, and the birds hanging from the ceiling flying into the setting sun at the back of the restaurant. It's visually stunning and really adds to the dining experience.

This is not an inexpensive place to dine, but it is a beautiful, the service is warm and attentive, and the food is excellent, so it is most definitely worth the price.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

we have eaten here several times we love it. Jiko's is located at the Animal Kingdom lodge and is African cuisine. my husband had the lamb which I tried and it was very tasty I had the Braie pie
it is a vegetable dish kind of like a potpie only better, big chunks of potatoes, squash onions also goat cheese. I have never had a meal here that I didn't love. the staff is always knowledgeable and eager to answer questions about the food. it is expensive but so worth it.