“Unforgetable!”

Ranked #19 of 3,849 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My best friend and I dined at Jiko and had a one of a kind experience that was so wonderful, we did it two nights in a row. We enjoyed a large variety of appetizer items along with flatbreads (lamb and pear, cauliflower and the new tomatoe basil) and wine and desert. Not only was the food authentic, fresh and delicious, the experience was enhanced by the informative and friendly conversation with three chefs. The servers were professional, friendly and helpful. They easily accomodated my vegetarian, teenage son who actually got into conversations with the chefs and learned a lot. The cost was reasonable. We will never forget this place and I look forward to re-visiting each and every time that I am in that area.

There are newer reviews for Jiko - The Cooking Place

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I went to Jiko for dinner in June 2013 and had a fabulous experience. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the service was phenomenal. Our server, Giovanni, was very knowledgable about the food and wine menus in addition to be very attentive and personable. The food was delicious and was by far one of the best meals I've had on WDW property. I highly recommend Jiko-The Cooking Place!

1  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I liked the variety of authentic foods from Africa without having to go to Africa! Thank you for opening my horizons!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I were fortunate to get a Jiko reservation during our last trip to Disney. We were travelling as a couple, and made it a point to hit a number of the '2 credit' deluxe dining plan restaurants, such as Jiko, Artist's Point, Le Cellier and the Hollywood Brown Derby.

Jiko really stood out from the pack. The ambience of the restaurant was wonderful - warm colors on the walls, with just enough animal print to evoke the African savannah. We had a wonderful server who quickly realized that we were very knowledgeable about wine, and went out of her way to help us choose the perfect pinotage to accompany our meal.

We ate (it was nearly a year ago and I remember almost everything!) a flatbread and grilled wild boar tenderloin. Both delicious. My husband had excellent short ribs, and I had a fantastic maize crusted perch from Lake Victoria as my entree. Both were simply wonderful. We indulged in dessert but the real standout was the fantastic African french press coffee.

It was the dining highlight of our trip by far, with Artist's Point as a second. We will definitely be returning to Jiko on our next trip, and checking out Boma as well!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were seated at the Cooking Place, and Patty was our server. The chef sent out an amuse bouche of duck breast with a lentil puree. Lyd had club soda and I had a Maker’s Mark Manhattan (9.50). We also ordered a bottle of Warwick Pinotage (49) from Stellenbosh. Lyd started with the Crispy Beef “Bobotie” roll (9) with cucumber raita, green mango atjar, and roasted groundnuts, while I opened with the Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin (16) with mealie pap, chakalaka, white truffle oil and micro cilantro. For her entrée, Lyd chose the Spicy Botswana-style “Seswaa” Beef Short Rib (42) with cassava-potato puree, sambal, mushrooms and fava beans. I had the seared Barbarie Duck Breast (39) with potato and spinach masala, Royal Trumpet Mushrooms and port emulsion.

1  Thank RetiredAnalyst