“Simply Not to be Missed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jiko - The Cooking Place

Jiko - The Cooking Place
Ranked #22 of 3,641 Restaurants in Orlando
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Acton, Massachusetts
“Simply Not to be Missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

By far the most creative and interesting restaurant we encountered at Disney. I dined here with my husband and 9 year old twin boys, and at the end of our meal, I made reservations for our last night at Disney. I could not go home without experiencing this again!

It's at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is beautiful. Both nights, we arrived well before our reservation, so we could spend a little time by the savannah (which is just outside the lobby), to watch the giraffes and other animals graze. My boys loved it!

The African decor in the restaurant creates an exotic ambiance. The service was good, and the food was fantastic! We got entrees the first night, and shared appetizers the second night; the food was delicious, unique and memorable! One of my boys is an adventurous eater, and the other is more of a 'mac and cheese and chicken nuggets' guy. The kids menu provided options for both, and they each enjoyed their meals.

The desserts were fabulous, both on the adult menu and the chidrens' menu.

If you're vacationing at Disney but also want to eat well, then a reservation (or two!) at Jiko should definitely be on your schedule. It was fabulous!

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
East Coast of Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best signature restaurants at Disney!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had two wonderful meals there a few weeks ago. At each visit the waiter brought us a special treat from the chef. The first one was a single scallop that appeared to be broiled with light seasoning, some type of sauce, with micro-greens on top of it. I can honestly say it was the best scallop I've ever eaten in my life and I've had a lot of scallops! The second time our special treat was a strip of medium rare ostrich served on tapioca and topped with micro-greens. It was awesome also. Our entrees were equally as delicious. Definitely one of Disney 's best restaurants!

Preston, United Kingdom
“Can't fault it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Another great dining experience. The restaurant is gorgeous. The staff are fabulous. The food was amazing. Nothing more to say. Loved it. X

1 Thank lesley1071
Kingston, Canada
“Fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Fantastic place to eat, but be prepared to pay a lot. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the service and the food. It had a good selection of food and wines as well....try it!

Visited May 2013
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Excellent service - Very Good Food- Dessert was just Ok..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary on the 14th while in Disney at Jiko. The service was flawless and the atmosphere was very nice with a view from our table that overlooked a natural pond. I would have never thought to try the bison or wild boar, but both were surprisingly excellent. Portions were small for the appetizers, but the food was very rich, and I was happy to have the room for my entree. My husband and I both enjoyed the filet mignon. The only improvement I would suggest would be on the dessert. Both were just ok in our opinions.

• 4 of 5 stars