“Great place to eat at Disney”

Jiko - The Cooking Place
Ranked #21 of 3,792 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Ottawa, Canada
“Great place to eat at Disney”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We visited Jiko's Cooking Place for a second time. Our first time was in October 2011. At that point our dinning experience was simply the best we have experienced at Disney.

For tis time aournd our expectations were high and we were a little dissapointed. The menus have changed and offered very good but not quite as interesting selections. The kids meal continued to have the macaroni and cheese that is simply amazing. They used to offer a dessert platter that was unseen anywhere else. Now the desserts were good but not nearly as attractive. The kids ate the Safari S'Mores. No complaints from them.

The cheesecase was not very tasty. The waiter suggested it be eaten with a little of each ingredient in a single spoonful. Still, I would never order tis again. The creme brulé was very good.

The service was good but it seemed like the last time, the staff was more helpful in our selection of meals.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Toronto, Ontario
“Absolutely Amazing”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is one of the best meals I have ever had. It was my first Disney dining experience and it far exceeded my expectations. It was not a cheap meal, but it was certainly worth it.

Richfield, Wisconsin
“Very good, fairly pricey”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We ate at Jiko our first night at Animal Kingdom using the meal plan but were unaware (our mistake) that it used up two sit down dinners per person. The service was excellent from the rosewater scented towels given to us to wipe our hands beforehand, to the politeness of the wait staff. The food was also very good. Portions were a little small (I'm not one to expect huge portions, especially at an expensive restaurant, but I did feel that they were a little skimpy). Desserts were also excellent. Well plated and delicious. I would definitely eat here again. Even the kids dinners looked good, and came with fruit and veggies. I was worried that we might be a little out of place with kids, but that wasn't the case at all.

• Visited February 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“Fabulous - and Food Friendly for people with intolerances”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you want some really interesting, fun and tasty food - with a great atmosphere - this is it on Disney property - it is African food. I had the duck -and I have had duck before, but this is very tasty and melts in your mouth. I have recently been dealing with food intolerances to figure out what I can eat - so I asked for a dairy free and gluten free selection. The chef came out to talk to me, and gave me two different menus that I could look at to find something that was suitable. I just have to say I "hate" being "that" person, and the waiter and the chef made me feel at ease without making a big deal about it. SOOOOOO wonderful.

The wine was fab too - lots of African wines to choose from. They even had dessert I could eat - but I was so full from my meal, I passed.

This is the second time we have eaten here, and it has now become one of my many favorites on property. It is a more adult setting, and a little pricier. Dress code is more business casual - but a wonderful experience all around.

My husband enjoyed a great steak and flatbread.

Selections include cheeses for appetizers, flatbread, dips with lentil poppadom, salads and soup and great entrees. Things you won't get other places like wild boar, duck, and other authentic African food.

If you like a change and something different and tasty and wonderful - this is it!!

1 Thank Lori W
Dallas
“Are we really at Disney?”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Jiko was an amazing surprise! It was a dining experience that made you feel you were dining in a top notch restaurant in a major metropolitan city. (Except of course for the disney styrofoam cups that were used for the kids.) The service was lovely, the wine selection superb and the food was delicious. They even offered to decant our wine - which it did indeed need. We started with the Taste of Africa breads and dips. They were all really good. We all enjoyed a different entree. Beef short ribs, the filet and scallops. All were delicious. Dessert was even better. The green tea ice cream and the donuts and coffee (coffee creme brûlée) were out of this world. We ended our meal with excellent french press coffee. The sweets at the end of the meal were another lovely touch. If we are ever back at WDW, we will be sure to return.

• Visited February 2013