“Amazing”

Ranked #22 of 3,898 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Best meal I have ever had. We had the bread platter which was out of this world. Our waitress, shelli was amazing. She let me try the pinotage before I purchased a glass... Great choice because then I had 3 glasses! We all got the filet over the Mac and cheese. The food was amazing and the service was impeccable. Shelli really made our experience even better. I will def return every year I go.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,790)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This place was on the more expensive side but was delicious; it costs 2 table service meals on the Disney dining plan or would be about $40-45 per entree. For an appetizer I had the wild boar which I'd never had before and was one of the top 5 tastiest things I've ever eaten. It was a small portion for $16 but I was on the meal plan so the price didn't really bother me. It was also in a good portion of sauce (which was delicious) that you could dip bread in. I had the maize crusted Lake Victoria perch for my main course; it was a fish I'd never had but is a white fish and very mild. The dish was very good, but not as excellent as the wild boar; dipping the fish in the the tomato butter sauce around the dish is a must and really completes the dish. Being a steak lover I prefer a sirloin or delmonico cut and rarely get a filet mignon, but my wife always does. She got the filet mignon here and said it was the best she'd ever had. She also likes her meat well done and asks for the filet butterflied. Usually that results in absolutely torched beef that to me is inedible but the way they cooked it at Jiko was absolutely astounding. It was completely well done but still incredibly juicy and my wife couldn't stop talking about how it was the best filet mignon she'd ever had. All in all, if you're willing to spend a little extra it's worth the stop.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I know, we were probably the last table on a Saturday night...but given the rankings, reviews, etc. I really expected something unique and special, and it was just good. Why the average ranking? Well, this food was good, but surprisingly bland - and overpriced given some of the other great restaurants that they have on property. Of the four courses served, only one really wowed and probably the most bland of the dishes was their "top seller" filet, which was not a high quality cut of meat. Our server was good, but the other servers seemed interested in other things and this actually distracted from our meal. I hope this was just an off night, otherwise this restaurant may have "jumped the shark" as they say.

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

1  Thank lppenny23
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My daughter and I recently spent a quick "girls only" weekend at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in Disney World. We really wanted to try Jiko but hadn't made reservations. We decided to just show up and hope there was a cancellation but no such luck. BUT, our luck changed when they offered us seating at the prep area for appetizers and salads. With seating for only six, you have an exclusive front row seat to see the chefs in action and interact with them. We opted to only have flatbreads and salad (no entrees) and everything was delicious. The watermelon and heirloom tomato salad was wonderful. The flatbreads were equally great. One of the chefs suggested we try the wild boar appetizer. It was amazing! If you've never had chakalaka you'll be in for a treat! I was ready to lick the bowl clean! We ended our meal with dessert. My lime-scented creme brûlée was like a velvety smooth key lime pie. Another diner who frequents the restaurant discretely suggested we ask for the chef's sorbets, even though they weren't on the menu. I was delighted when I was served a coconut sorbet with fresh berries. The service was great and the interaction with the chefs made it one of the most memorable meals I've ever had. So, forget the booths and tables-grab a seat at the prep area- you won't regret it!

2  Thank Tina C