“I don't get it?”

Hollywood Brown Derby
Ranked #196 of 3,849 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, open for lunch and dinner in Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park, serves contemporary American cuisine. Seasonal specialties include seafood, steak and poultry selections.The fact that the upscale atmosphere harkens back to the Golden Age of Hollywood is no coincidence. The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant at Walt Disney World Resort is an authentic replica of the famous Brown Derby, a longstanding Hollywood landmark and haunt for Tinseltown's biggest and brightest personalities.""Meet me at The Derby!"" could often be heard crossing the lips of celebrities. Now you can say it, too, and join the glamorous company.The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant redefines the concept of dining with the stars. The warm wood-paneled walls of this gourmet restaurant are adorned with caricatures of famous faces. The tradition of capturing the likenesses of luminaries began in the original Brown Derby restaurant.Other legacies carried over to The Hollywood Brown Derby can be found on the menu with the signature dishes. The famous Brown Derby Cobb salad follows the recipe created by Bob Cobb, the owner of the historic California Brown Derby. Another Brown Derby original is the light grapefruit cake with cream cheese icing.For an enhanced dining experience, request wine pairings with your meal for Guests 21 years of age and older. The extensive wine list also offers bottle or wines by the glass. Classic cocktails are poured tableside at The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant.
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for lunch with our two kids over the weekend. Our waitress was very nice. My husband and I both had the Cobb salad, our oldest had the fettuccine and our toddler had a kids hot dog. The salads were good, they shred the lettuce pretty finely which I didn't love. We all agreed the pasta dish was the best. As far as the kids meal goes, it was literally a hot dog with 8 baked Lays chips, he ate none of it then or later as we took it with us. I guess I just don't get the Disney restaurant hype our meals were close to $20 each and were just ok. When I pay $20 for a salad I want great.

There are newer reviews for Hollywood Brown Derby

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had lunch/dinner here, our reservation was for 3:05, so we were given both menus. We did not have to wait long for our table as other reviewers did, but when we were seated I noticed that about a quarter of the tables were empty... Even though I heard them turn away to sets of couples who were walk-ins while we were waiting. We were not served water upon our arrival, (or at all), and our drink orders were taken when we had our meal order taken. The rolls were delicious, but the food was otherwise just average. My husband had the rack of lamb, and I had the duck. There was nothing special about the taste of the meal. Dessert on the other hand was spectacular. I had grapefruit cake, and my husband had the white chocolate toffee tower. Overall it was not worth the expense, if you want a great meal and atmosphere, go to Mama Melrose's if you are in Hollywood Studios, or if it is date night head to Artist's Point, or Le Cellier.

1  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I saw some pretty horrible reviews of this restaurant (and maybe we just got lucky), but when we ate here the food was great! We were on the premium dining plan and since we don't eat breakfast we had extra dining credits and decided to dine at a few of the 2 credit restaurants.
We ate here 2 times. Once for lunch and once for dinner. I got the same thing both times because it was so good! I had the rack of lamb. My sides were perfect. The lamb was cooked perfectly and it was tender and juicy. My husband got the grouper and he was pleased, he even said the polenta was the best he had ever tasted. He had a hamburger for lunch and was very happy with it
I will say that we had reservations both times and waited at least 20 minutes for a table on both occasions. Although, lunch was insanely busy. I was amazed at the amount of people waiting and once we were seated the dining room was half full at best. Plus, don't annoy the hostess. For lunch, they were behind and seating over 30 minutes after reservation times and I guess I somehow annoyed the hostess because I kept asking when our table would be ready.. Well, I noticed that she put a big "X" on our seating slip and then we never got seated. After 40 minutes PAST our reservation time I noticed that the seating waitress kept putting this one slip back in the tray and then seating people with that had later reservations than us. I went up to the podium, looked at the slip, saw our name on it and a big "X". I immediately called the manager and told him what she had done. The manager was apologetic and gave us a free fastpass to toy story mania, but such vengeful tactics on behalf of a "cast member" really are not "Disney" in any way.
It is loud inside, especially because it was packed (for dinner at least) and I mean if you put tons of people in a restaurant who are all trying to talk at the same time and then add tons of kids - its going to be super loud. So if you want something quiet and intimate, don't go to Disney world!!!
Also, I noticed many of the bad reviews about the food here were for the steak. Just a tip. I never get steak at a regular restaurant. Its usually mediocre at best. I only get steak at a steak restaurant or steakhouse. Steakhouses have amazing steaks and they do special things to get those steaks to taste the way do. Regular restaurants just don't have the same broilers and aging processes and it shows. However, fish, chicken and Lamb is something most restaurants can do to perfection.

2  Thank travelwithkids14
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a reservation for 6 at 3:30 for LUNCH. Unfortunately they neglected to tell us at 3:00 they change the menu for dinner.
We were hoping for a nice cobb salad as we heard they are famous for, not a heavy meal.
They do offer the salad for dinner at $16 and at lunch it is $9 (same size)
The description of this salad is finely chopped, its more like they chewed it for you and then put it back in the bowl for you to swallow.
Over rated for the $
A hotdog would have been better

2  Thank Ralphwr
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We went there for lunch. They told us that the main dining room was only seating people with reservations but that we could go to their lounge where their menu is smaller. That was ok with us. We were tired, wanted to seat for a while and wanted a small lunch. We waited nearly 20 minutes to have someone take our order. We ordered and waited ONE HOUR for our food. I complained to two different people and all they could say was that "things were crazy that day" they did not apologize. The waitress even dare to ask "the food has not arrived yet?". When we were ready to stand up and leave the food came. It was ok food but the wait was so long that our mood was really bad already. They offer no apologies or discount. So we gave ourselves a discount: no tip. Don't go to this restaurant. You are better off in a fast food in the park.

1  Thank AVGW