“Dependable special occasion place”

Hollywood Brown Derby
Ranked #197 of 3,931 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, open for lunch and dinner in Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park, serves contemporary American cuisine. Seasonal specialties include seafood, steak and poultry selections.The fact that the upscale atmosphere harkens back to the Golden Age of Hollywood is no coincidence. The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant at Walt Disney World Resort is an authentic replica of the famous Brown Derby, a longstanding Hollywood landmark and haunt for Tinseltown's biggest and brightest personalities.""Meet me at The Derby!"" could often be heard crossing the lips of celebrities. Now you can say it, too, and join the glamorous company.The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant redefines the concept of dining with the stars. The warm wood-paneled walls of this gourmet restaurant are adorned with caricatures of famous faces. The tradition of capturing the likenesses of luminaries began in the original Brown Derby restaurant.Other legacies carried over to The Hollywood Brown Derby can be found on the menu with the signature dishes. The famous Brown Derby Cobb salad follows the recipe created by Bob Cobb, the owner of the historic California Brown Derby. Another Brown Derby original is the light grapefruit cake with cream cheese icing.For an enhanced dining experience, request wine pairings with your meal for Guests 21 years of age and older. The extensive wine list also offers bottle or wines by the glass. Classic cocktails are poured tableside at The Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant.
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is the restaurant we always go to celebrate when in Disney World. We love (and always split) their Cobb salad. Grouper is always done right and their crab cakes are the best we have ever had (including great ones in Maryland). Atmosphere is tops!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,996)

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I did. Fantasmic was at the topp of our must do list because we missed it last trip to WDW. And that was specifically because we were too hungry at 5pm to wait for the show without dinner.So I had a Brown Derby reservation waiting for us at 2pm. But the day before we decided to skip it - we have had some bad experiences at these double-point "signature" restaurants already (Le Cellier, especially).

At the last minute we decided to go and, lucky me, a 6:45 reservation popped up online about 5:30. We grabbed it and left. Arriving at 6:15, we we checked in which "was just fine". We then waited almost half an hour for a table. I'm almost certain tables are seated in the order they arrive, so be sure to arrive as early as possible.

Our server Remy was wonderful, so much like the BD servers of old must have been - quick, friendly, knowledgeable, attentive. We had a terrible time deciding what to order because it all sounded good and yet we had read so many negatvies.

Every bit of it was delicious! We split the 3" diameter crab cake and I had to explain to my son if he ever orders another expect it to be more stuffing .. this one was FULL of real crab and seasoned perfectly.

He then had a filet - twice as good as Le Cellier's filet and rivaling most any steak I've ever had - and fell in love with the rich potatoes with very distinct white truffle oil. I was very direct ordering a medium pork chop, knowing the kitchen would never let me stray too far in the danger zone, and it came just slightly pink as I asked. I have to admit it was still a little dry and overcooked for my liking but there was plenty of heavenly apple cider sauce and savory gouda to bring the chop and vegetable hash together. My wife ordered the grouper and loved every bite (so I didn't get any!) We skipped the Cobb, which looked more like a confit than a salad. We watched several server mix it for several guests and never saw any spilled - or anyone complaining.

For desert, the grapefruit cake was fantastic. It was very obviously a freshly made cake that had never been frozen. The icing and sauce was intense grapefruit, sweet and tart at the same time as a grapefruit shold be.

We used double points on two meals and just paid for the third. The $30-$40 entree prices are exactly the same as every other signature restaurant at WDW, but this helped both our budget and our points plan.

We made ourselves late for the 9pm Fantasmic show, arriving at 8:20, and waited towards the front of the "standing room only" crowd. Fortunately, we were seated - directly behind the section reserved for the "dining event" reservations. It doesn't matter so much where you sit so don't go out of your way for the "event" - but don't miss one of the best shows at WDW!

1  Thank 5genoklahoman
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My wife and I celebrated our anniversery at Disney World Orlando. We had dinner at the Hollywood Brown Derby. They made it a special night for us. The food was excellent, and the service was first class. They even came to our table and took a picture, then put it in a souvenir folder for us.
What a great time. We would defintely go back again!

2  Thank trans4med
Reviewed May 26, 2011

had a great experience at the brown derby. service was excellent waitress was extremely nice to the children in our party. food was extremely tasty and it looked amazing. it was a tad on the pricey side but being in Disney it is what it is. i did not mind paying a little extra for the experience.

1  Thank av3206
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We had reservations which was wonderful although I was initially concerned because they were for a very late lunch. It was the start of Star wars weekend so we rushed to the park to get into Jedi training (just barely) and were alittle grouchy. We decided to go back to the villa for alittle while to pack and avoid the heat of the day. This was a wonderful idea and having late reservations ensured we could get back into the park. The Derby was very nice and the crab cakes were the best we had all week at several SD locations. The tuna app was also excellent (avoid the brie though) and the entrees were very good - almond flounder was excellent and rivaled the fish at the flying fish cafe. Deserts were good and were were there about 1.5 hours which was our fastest Signature dining all week.

1  Thank kjenks88