“Ironically, the steaks are the only disappointment”

Charley's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 3,808 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Charley's Steak House has created a unique dining experience unsurpassed in the industry. The restaurant's namesake, Charley Woodsby, co-founder of the Red Lobster chain, was honored by the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association with the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006. After selling Red Lobster to General Mills in 1970, Charley and his son Ron Woodsby developed Talk of the Town Restaurants - the corporate parent to Charley's Steak House. Over the years the Woodsby's have become "beef aficionados" with a steadfast formula for success: feature only Midwest grain-fed USDA Prime & Choice beef, age on-site for 4 to 6 weeks, and have management cut meat daily and season for 30 hours to create distinctive flavor. The steak is then flame-grilled over a 1200° open pit, fueled with a combination of Florida citrus & oak wood. This carefully monitored process provides for quality, tenderness and a tantalizing taste that elevates Charley's to the ultimate steakhouse experience. Since its inception, Charley's Steak House has prided itself on being a traditional steakhouse. But with the rise in number of savvy diners came the need to evolve the definition of 'steakhouse'. Instituting a corporate chef and placing managing chefs at each location, Charley's has advanced into a traditional steakhouse with culinary flair featuring chef-driven appetizers and entrees as well as established menu items.
Calgary
“Ironically, the steaks are the only disappointment”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

This was a pretty solid restaurant. Great bread and salads for appetizers. The three of us had grouper (great), tuna (also great) and Kansas City strip loin (hugely disappointing). They've fallen into the same trap as Ruth's Chris - steaks so ridiculously thick you can't cook them properly or uniformly. My medium rare steak came singed on the outside, pretty much raw in the middle. It was awful. The steak options are so unbelievably extreme, it's almost a caricature. Sure, have an inappropriately thick steak or two as a novelty, but don't force your customers to select from nothing but. It was just stupid. I recommend the restaurant but again, ironically, go for the seafood, not the steak.

Visited March 2014

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“1200 degrees is no good for a steak!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I am not a good chef or even a good back yard griller. But I'm pretty sure that the only thing that 1200 degrees is good for is to cremate a body! It sure doesn't do much for a steak but char the crap out of it! This is the temperature of the grill at this establishment as stated in the menu! I don't know, I had the 38oz bone-in NY strip and it was probably one of the most chewy, flavorless pieces of meat I have ever eaten! I just scratched my head at this monstrosity? This is a steakhouse. You specialize in cooking different cuts of meat and this is your $55 showpiece. Burnt bubalicious bologna! That is the only way to describe it, and that's generous!
The waiter was equally as bad as the pathetic beef! He brought the meat tray around to show us the meat and, presumably, to explain the different cuts and types of beef. Instead we got, nothing! I even said to him "okay, tell me what you have here" and he just looked at me like I was a three headed chicken! His idea of explaining things was to pick up the thickest cut and just show its width and give you the "need I say more, or for that matter, anything" look! To be fair, the manager took the steak off the bill and was apologetic but my wife, for some unknown reason, got a doggy bag for it! I love my dog so you know where that bag went! My rule of thumb is when the seafood is better than the steak at a steakhouse or, in this case, the water is better than the steak, get yourself another steakhouse!

Bentonville, Arkansas
“Great food Great atmosphere”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Went here on a friend's suggestion. Ordered the filet and it was very good. I wasn't a complete fan of the sides but the desserts were great (our table of 8 ordered 4 different desserts and they were all yummy). But my favorite part of the meal were the appetizers!
We ordered the lump crab cakes- very good, and the bacon wrapped scallops--EXCELLENT!!! The scallops were cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious.
I highly recommend this place but be prepared! The portions are large and the prices can add up if you're not willing to share food.

Hopewell, New York
“This is your place for Steak in Orlando”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Charley's steak house does a wonderful job putting out high quality steaks cooked perfectly to order.
Charley's doesn't stop with great food quality. The servers here are top notch and make sure you enjoy your experience. If you are in Orlando and looking for an excellent steak; look no further.

• Visited May 2013
Akron, Ohio
“Fantastic Food, Great Service! ”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Delicious food, great atmosphere, excellent service by Ivan. Went for my boyfriend's birthday and we got a complimentary birthday dessert.

I would recommend this place to anyone for a special occasion. We had a wonderful time and the food was spectacular.