“An awesome steak, but watch the salt”

Charley's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 4,060 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Charley's Steak House has created a unique dining experience unsurpassed in the industry. The restaurant's namesake, Charley Woodsby, co-founder of the Red Lobster chain, was honored by the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association with the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006. After selling Red Lobster to General Mills in 1970, Charley and his son Ron Woodsby developed Talk of the Town Restaurants - the corporate parent to Charley's Steak House. Over the years the Woodsby's have become "beef aficionados" with a steadfast formula for success: feature only Midwest grain-fed USDA Prime & Choice beef, age on-site for 4 to 6 weeks, and have management cut meat daily and season for 30 hours to create distinctive flavor. The steak is then flame-grilled over a 1200° open pit, fueled with a combination of Florida citrus & oak wood. This carefully monitored process provides for quality, tenderness and a tantalizing taste that elevates Charley's to the ultimate steakhouse experience. Since its inception, Charley's Steak House has prided itself on being a traditional steakhouse. But with the rise in number of savvy diners came the need to evolve the definition of 'steakhouse'. Instituting a corporate chef and placing managing chefs at each location, Charley's has advanced into a traditional steakhouse with culinary flair featuring chef-driven appetizers and entrees as well as established menu items.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our golf gang ate here on a Tuesday night and we had made our reservations two months in advance so when we walked in we were seated right away. The lobster bisque was awesome, the best I've ever had. The salad was good but I could have done without the olives in it. I ordered the 22 oz Kansas City Ribeye and it was one of the most tender flavorfull steaks I have had. It was just melt in your mouth wonderful. I also ordered the bacon cheddar mash potatos. This is where the salt issue was. These were so heavily salted the were inedible. Another person at our table ordered the same and they also said theirs were way too salty.
Overall a good experience. It was quite expensive, my single check was $80.00 with tip.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,704)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The waiting time was unacceptable, There were several empty tables and no servers. My pork chop was just okay. My wife's tenderloin bruschetta was mostly fat but the vegetables were good. The lobster mac and cheese was also good.The server was friendly and did a good job. In general we were very disappointed and fell it was over priced for what we got. We are from out of town and most likely will not return to Charley's.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went to Charley's when we were in Orlando early in the month attending Bike Week and seeing family... First of all our waitress was a little "over the top" in terms of presenting the steaks... I really know after all these years what steaks are best and what I like... If she would have paid as much attention to the rest of the meal as her presentation, it would have made for a better evening... Ordered the Kobe Ribeye as we had never had it before and it was big so we were going to share... A $5 up charge was presented to us for sharing - REALLY!!! A $70 steak and there is a $5 up charge for a salad!!! The steak came and the server cut the steak in half and skewered the steak with the knife and served it that way - nice - a real class move... The Kobe steak tasted so strong of smoke and I presume seasoning, I could not it eat it... I'm not sure what Kobe beef is supposed to taste like, but this was absolutely the worst steak I have ever had - I took 2 bites and it literally made me sick... We told our waitress and the manager and there was little effort made in trying to resolve this issue... All in all, Charley's was a terrible experience from wait staff to food and I would never, ever go to Charley's again... I love beef and eat a lot of it, and have had my share of excellent steaks but if this the best Charey's can do, they should get out of the business...

2  Thank Les A
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Had the 14 ounce filet again, cooked medium, which is rare other places in the middle. Have eaten there 3-4 times and always happy with the food.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

This is out 5th time at Charley's. it's become a must do on our annual spring break trip to Orlando. The steaks and sides were excellent as always. The only mar to the experience was that they initially took us through a partially filled main dining room to a row of booths between the dining room and the secondary dining room. And then all the way to the end of the row, beside the drafty emergency exit. We were literally stuck in a back corner. I tried to make the best if it but when the wind came through the door I had to ask to be moved. Which they did immediately. From then on the service was great. My suggestion to management is to put yourself in the customers shoes. Who wants to be stuck in a corner in a partially full restaurant?