“An Enigma” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Hernando, Florida
“An Enigma”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

We were weekending in Orlando with another couple, and after an afternoon strolling Winter Park, we were ready for an early dinner. We wanted to go Vietnamese, but they preferred Chan's, a restaurant they had gone to for years. When we arrived on a Friday night, we were the only ones in the place. Okay, it was early...

The hot and sour soup was interesting. Based on a chicken stock, it has some really unusual flavors, but was very good. We ordered MooShu pork, orange beef, and I was taken by pan fried noodles with pork (a dish I enjoyed so in Chicago, but can not find since we moved to Florida). It was all very good. The beef was crisp but not hard, and it was a generous portion. The only criticism is that the pancakes for the MooShu were a bit dry and split. My pan fried noodles were wonderful. Overall, we enjoyed it (and the leftovers) very much and would visit again. It is definitely off the tourist tracks in the area, but still not hard to find. We had a leisurely meal at a reasonable price. When we left, we were still the only table in the place on a Friday night. Such an enigma...

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Florida
“In a word....Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I visited Orlando for Memorial Day weekend and convinced myself that driving from Winter Park to Colonial Drive would be worth the adventure. Upon arriving at Chan's, I was warmly fetters by the staff, as it appeared to be a family owned operation. I was also the only one in there that appeared to speak English, as it kind of reminded me of a place I would visit if I were in Flushing, NY or Chinatown in San Francisco.

I know good dim sum from the frozen stuff you buy at Asian grocery stores, and Chan's was well prepared and had the right flavoring. The only downside wad the price tag, but I was more than willing to put that behind me since Orlando isn't a mecca for authentic dim sum restaurants.

I would recommend coming here with a larger group, as they have plenty of servers pushing food carts around the building. Plus there is a ton of space to accomodate groups of over 6 people. Overall, a wonderful experience right in the heart of Central Florida.

Orlando, Florida
“I Won't Be Going Back to Chan's”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I hadn't been to Chan's before, but it was recommended to me, so I stopped in with a family member for a late lunch one Saturday. I have to say that the first impression was not good. The place needs a bath and a paint job. I always think that if the entryway and dining room are dirty, what must the kitchen look like? And it's not like it was a bargain: quite the contrary. They were doing dim sum, but it didn't look too appetizing, so we ordered from the menu. (Even the menus themselves were cruddy... all crossed out and pasted over.) The soup and spring rolls were okay, nothing special. The menu doesn't include descriptions or ingredients, so we asked the server what was in a couple of the entree dishes. She tried to help but didn't have much English and, as it turns out, didn't know the contents of the dishes. We ordered shrimp with garlic sauce which had no garlic, a sweet brown sauce, small shrimp, and a couple of ingredients we didn't want. It was edible, nothing more. At $11.95, it came with one small scoop of white rice. When I asked for another, we were advised there would be an additional $1 charge. We finished and asked for the check but were still grazing and finishing our tea. Four different servers and buspeople tried to clear our table. I just wanted to be left alone to chat, which I said each time. They kept wanting to clear before we were finished. Finally I raised my voice and they got it. Not a pleasant experience. There are many, many better choices.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Joeker277
Jax, FL
“Dim sum, yes. Anything else, questionable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Can't believe I'm writing a review such as this, since I'm a frequent patron of Chan's when in ORL. I'll give it high marks for dim sum, since that is the reason I frequent them mostly. The times I've visited other than that, have been average to poor my last visit. Some restaurants seem to be known for one thing and one thing only. This may be the case here. The other times I speak of is usually on a weekday evening where traffic is usually to a trickle, even on a Friday night. Service is on, but with a skeleton crew. They seem to have had a change of personnel lately, because I'm not recognizing faces on my last visit. Our waitress was helpful, but inexperienced. I was quoted a price for lobster by another lady who seemed to be in charge. Then ordered the lobster done in ginger and scallion. The only thing I wasn't disappointed in the order, was the lobster. The sauce was bland, scallions overdone, and ginger raw. The ginger had been used as a garnish in large, unpeeled, slices. If you were going to use anything for a garnish, it should have been the scallion. To add insult to injury, the order ended up being more than I was quoted which couldn't be explained by the lady. I've also had another incident in the past where they had pictures of wonton noodle advertised in the restaurant. When I ordered it, there seemed to be a reluctance to push it despite the ads. When I received it, it was unimpressive. Average, at best. For a Cantonese restaurant, I don't expect the two orders to be such a great feat. The moral of the story is stick with the weekend, brunch dim sum. With more dim sum offerings competing locally, I'd say they can't afford to be lax on the typical Cantonese fare.

• Visited November 2011
Honolulu
“Dim Sum in Orlando”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Fried stuffed tofu was an unusual offering for dim sum but was worth it! The usuals included siu mai, har gau, steamed char siu bao, baked char siu bao were good. The char siu in the bao's was not fatty. The taro gok was tasty. Would have liked to have seen a steamed vegetable or two on the carts.

Visited November 2011