“I Won't Be Going Back to Chan's”

Chan's Chinese Cuisine
Ranked #2,172 of 3,790 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Chinese
Orlando, Florida
“I Won't Be Going Back to Chan's”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I hadn't been to Chan's before, but it was recommended to me, so I stopped in with a family member for a late lunch one Saturday. I have to say that the first impression was not good. The place needs a bath and a paint job. I always think that if the entryway and dining room are dirty, what must the kitchen look like? And it's not like it was a bargain: quite the contrary. They were doing dim sum, but it didn't look too appetizing, so we ordered from the menu. (Even the menus themselves were cruddy... all crossed out and pasted over.) The soup and spring rolls were okay, nothing special. The menu doesn't include descriptions or ingredients, so we asked the server what was in a couple of the entree dishes. She tried to help but didn't have much English and, as it turns out, didn't know the contents of the dishes. We ordered shrimp with garlic sauce which had no garlic, a sweet brown sauce, small shrimp, and a couple of ingredients we didn't want. It was edible, nothing more. At $11.95, it came with one small scoop of white rice. When I asked for another, we were advised there would be an additional $1 charge. We finished and asked for the check but were still grazing and finishing our tea. Four different servers and buspeople tried to clear our table. I just wanted to be left alone to chat, which I said each time. They kept wanting to clear before we were finished. Finally I raised my voice and they got it. Not a pleasant experience. There are many, many better choices.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Joeker277

Jax, FL
“Dim sum, yes. Anything else, questionable.”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Can't believe I'm writing a review such as this, since I'm a frequent patron of Chan's when in ORL. I'll give it high marks for dim sum, since that is the reason I frequent them mostly. The times I've visited other than that, have been average to poor my last visit. Some restaurants seem to be known for one thing and one thing only. This may be the case here. The other times I speak of is usually on a weekday evening where traffic is usually to a trickle, even on a Friday night. Service is on, but with a skeleton crew. They seem to have had a change of personnel lately, because I'm not recognizing faces on my last visit. Our waitress was helpful, but inexperienced. I was quoted a price for lobster by another lady who seemed to be in charge. Then ordered the lobster done in ginger and scallion. The only thing I wasn't disappointed in the order, was the lobster. The sauce was bland, scallions overdone, and ginger raw. The ginger had been used as a garnish in large, unpeeled, slices. If you were going to use anything for a garnish, it should have been the scallion. To add insult to injury, the order ended up being more than I was quoted which couldn't be explained by the lady. I've also had another incident in the past where they had pictures of wonton noodle advertised in the restaurant. When I ordered it, there seemed to be a reluctance to push it despite the ads. When I received it, it was unimpressive. Average, at best. For a Cantonese restaurant, I don't expect the two orders to be such a great feat. The moral of the story is stick with the weekend, brunch dim sum. With more dim sum offerings competing locally, I'd say they can't afford to be lax on the typical Cantonese fare.

Honolulu
“Dim Sum in Orlando”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Fried stuffed tofu was an unusual offering for dim sum but was worth it! The usuals included siu mai, har gau, steamed char siu bao, baked char siu bao were good. The char siu in the bao's was not fatty. The taro gok was tasty. Would have liked to have seen a steamed vegetable or two on the carts.

Visited November 2011
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Authentic Cantonese style food”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

This is really a good restaurant with authentic chinese food. We are trying very hard to find a restaurant which can provide with classic chinese food and finally got this one. From the other's review, it seems like they only provide the best Dim Sum in orlando, but as we don't have time during the day. We tried it at dinner time. We're the first guest that day. Nobody came to greeting us. I asked where's the toilet and the waitress point out for me and the toilet smells stinky. It's an old restaurant, maybe never had re-new. But the food were good though. Not fit for the western style but it do fit for the oriental people. If you want to have really good typical chinese food, go this one, you won't be disappointed. We tried another chinese buffet the other day, but it's a disaster. We tried it bcs my wife reviewed the internet (certainly not tripadvisor) and found it's a good one. But it turned out so bad! The name of the restaurant is C&D Chinese Buffet. No real chinese food there and the staff there are so unfriendly. Majority cutomer are from Latin Amerian, which means the food are really Americanized Chinese Food.

Tampa, FL
“Great dim sum in a simple setting”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We arrived on a Sat at 2pm. They have dim sum on carts but they didn't circulate the carts around due to just a few tables were occupied. We tried the popular dishes, shrimp dumplings, stuffed eggplant, sui mai, etc and they were all really good and authentic. The waitresses even placed the orders with the kitchen for items not carried in the carts. This restaurant sits at the end of the strip filled with asian restaurants and markets. It does not look inviting from the outside but the inside decor is every bit authentic.

1 Thank StellaV