“Better Than Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of California Grill

California Grill
Ranked #46 of 3,763 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Japanese, American, Sushi
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "California Grill is a Signature Dining restaurant that serves up award-winning gourmet dinners and sweeping views atop Disney's Contemporary Resort. Venture into this vibrant and charged atmosphere and watch the creation of culinary masterpieces in the on-stage kitchen.
Orlando, Florida
“Better Than Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

California Grill on top of the Contemporary Hotel at Disney World has always been a wonderful experience. Now with the new menu and decor it is over the top! Had dinner there for the first time in over a year. Our meals were delicious. We tried 4 dishes that were new were delighted And the chocolate desert was sinful The wine list is extensive But be sure to make a reservation well in advance. We made ours in Nov.

Greenwich, Connecticut
“Disappointed at new menu”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Really disappointed at the new menu. Flatbread was horrible. Can get better at most pizzerias. The pork chop was inedible and the raviolo was ok.
Was truly looking forward to coming back after 4 years and doubt will ever come back.

Orlando, Florida
“Underwhelmed, and I Didn't Want To Be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Trip Advisor may need a category between Average and Very Good in this case. I gave the restaurant the benefit of the doubt.

I was asked where I wanted to go for dinner for my birthday and I chose California Grill. They had been closed for nearly a year and reopened several months ago, newly redecorated and with an updated menu. California Grill had been a favorite special occasion place of mine for years, as I live in Orlando. Do note that it's hard to get a reservation, so call months ahead or the day before to see if there are any cancellations.

When they updated the interior design of the restaurant they took out all of the color and character. Yes, it's contemporary (like the hotel), but contemporary design can still have style. The basic lines are still present, but the color and character is all gone. Of course, the view of Cinderella's Castle is still great, and it's a wonderful spot for the Magic Kingdom fireworks.

We felt rushed by the server when she first came to our table, handing out menus and talking about the food before we chose the wine, but it did slow down to a better pace after that. There are many good wine selections. We were off to a good start with appetizers. The tomato flatbread was delicious, as was the goat cheese ravioli, a holdover from the good old days. I tried the Farmer's Salad. The waitress really talked up so much that I couldn't resist, but I should have resisted. The honey-sherry vinaigrette was light and tasty, but there was nothing else flavorful or of a good texture in the salad. Disappointing.

Two people at our table ordered filets, both done medium. One was fine, the other was rare and had to be sent back. Puzzling, as the place is supposed to have top chefs who know what they are doing. I ordered the flounder. It was quite dry, but the presentation on the plate was beautiful and what one would expect from this restaurant, at least visually. Another guest really enjoyed the bison, best served rare.

We shared a couple of crème brûlée desserts, which were perfectly wonderful. This item is another holdover from the former menu.

Dinner for four, with a bottle of wine and the tip was around $400. At that price I expect consistency, but didn't get it, and for that reason I was underwhelmed.

1 Thank edyrp
Houston, Texas
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

They have renovated and updated the California Grill since we were there last and it looks so much better, it was great before but like it better now. My husband had the Oak-fired Filet of Beef and I had the Pork Two Ways. Both had great flavor, cooked perfectly to what we had ordered. I had made the reservations a little later than when we normally eat so we could see the fireworks. They turn down the lights and plug in the music! It was a wonderful time. You sit there eating great food watching the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom. It really doesn't get any better than that. I encourage everyone to try this at least once. It's pricey - but worth every cent. The waitress who waited on us was very helpful and took great care of us.

• Visited January 2014
Asheville, NC
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Back story. A good friend of our has been a regular at California Grill for about 20 years. Eating there and staying on e 14 th floor with his wife and son. He is a legitimate high roller and enjoys nothing but the best.

I asked him to hook us ups witH his dedicated server for our meal. Gary E. picked us up at our hotel and accompanied us to dinner. He got us a primo table near the Balcony so we could step a few feet away and enjoy the firework display prior to dinner. Then he gave us a history lesson about the Grill and gave us so,e advice on the menu.

We started out with a couple of glass of Pinot Gris and ordered the Dragon Roll sushi. It was delicious. We went on to a Margherita flatbread which was outstanding. Then for entree we had goat cheese ravioli with tomato broth and I had the Bison. We accompaniied it with a bottle of Jarvis Cab, which was amazing. The service was amazing, the food was delicious, and the company was terrific.