“Good.....Not Worth the Hype, New Decor Same Trends”
Review of California Grill

California Grill
Ranked #52 of 3,882 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: "California Grill is a Signature Dining restaurant that serves up award-winning gourmet dinners and sweeping views atop Disney's Contemporary Resort. Venture into this vibrant and charged atmosphere and watch the creation of culinary masterpieces in the on-stage kitchen.
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Wanted to try this place after the new makeover. Place is really trendy & hip looking. They send "someone" down the elevator to take you up. The first thing you notice is how very very loud this place is. If you're looking for a quiet evening where your dining partner & you can have a real unstrained conversation this isn't the place. Food selections were very trendy with lots of "foam" & pork belly. Filet was good, but average quality. Prices are very high considering the portions size. Great view. Good wait staff. There are better choices on property for food, prices, and wait staff.

1  Thank ooftie1

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Thank you to chef mark for excellant service! My son and I have celaics and chef mark went above and beyond to make us a great dinner and he stayed and talked with us and kept checking on us and the waiter was wonderful, pleasant, great service. Food was great. I love the new long table by the windows and we had a booth with a view of the magic kingdom. I don't remember the name but a young woman went out of here way to try to get my son a gluten free birthday cake when we arrived. I wish every disney employee and restaurant was still as good as this one. They have a team concept I watched gary help with the cake and making sure everything was going as planned for us and other guest. kudo's to all of you for making the night magical. A big hug and thank you!!!!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I dined at California Grill on our honeymoon last week. We did get there early so we could see the fireworks - although they seated us right in front of the kitchen - it was loud and busy, and we had really hoped that they'd seat us by a window, which would have been much nicer. They sat another couple who came in at the same time as us, celebrating a birthday, at a window. It was impossible to have a real conversation, as the hustle and bustle of where we were seated was distracting.

Our waiter, Gary, from Honolulu, was really great though! Very friendly and on-top of everything, and he recommended a few great options for us, as well as wine. Overall the food was really good (we ate everything, and the filet is to die for). The view of the Fireworks over Magic Kingdom is nice, and you can watch them from the observation deck outside. The only downside to this is everyone rushes outside at the same time and sort of fights for a good spot. There really didn't seem to be that much of an atmosphere within the restaurant. Maybe it was because we were seated in such a busy area, it might have been different being seated somewhere else, like near a window, instead of front and center, where all the meals come out.

I don't have anything really negative to say about California Grill, although I do enjoy an atmosphere that is a bit more romantic and quiet (like Jiko). If you are looking for that type of experience you will probably have to ask for it, or at least ask to be seated at a window.

Because the food was delicious and our server was great, I do have to rate it Very Good!

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Our waiter, Gary, from Honolulu was awesome! Spoiled our whole family rotten! Great wine recommendations and the Dragon Roll ( on the menu as an appetizer!) was truly an entree! Good bread before the meal is always a great sign for me that the rest of the meal will be good. The carrot cilantro soup was inspirational and although the bill was $400 for four of us (not unexpected for Disneyworld) the experience was one for the memory book!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is my favourite Disneyworld venue. Great location, very friendly, enjoys looking after children but also caters for the adults. The food is great and the service is great. The view is outstanding of Cinderellas castle - and the fireworks are a bonus.