“disappointed”
Review of California Grill

California Grill
Ranked #49 of 3,882 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "California Grill is a Signature Dining restaurant that serves up award-winning gourmet dinners and sweeping views atop Disney's Contemporary Resort. Venture into this vibrant and charged atmosphere and watch the creation of culinary masterpieces in the on-stage kitchen.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have not been there since the renovation and I have to admit that we are a little bit disappointed. The atmosphere is gone. Not it is just another restaurant. Of course the food was good as always but it is not the same anymore. We arrived rather early and our server was very quick at the beginning but when the restaurant filled it took more and more time till she came along.

1  Thank isbn1

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Our family of 5 had an excellent evening and dinner at the CG last Saturday. Food and service were great. Pork, beef and fish dishes were high quality and very inventive. It's a little pricey, but not out of line with equivalent food and atmosphere anywhere. And the fireworks still made a perfect end to the evening.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was SO looking forward to dining at the re-opened California Grill! We've eaten there several times before, and always really enjoyed the food and the overall experience. I can't imagine what they were doing during the 8 months it was closed -- moving some walls around, I guess. I am sad to say that it seems to be a negative change. The ambience seems to be gone. There are just lots of tables, and a few booths, sitting in space. And the menu seemed to have too few choices. I ordered the scallops. $42 for 4 scallops! Granted, they were large scallops. They were very good, except for the "smoked pork" ingredient ... which seemed to be mostly just gross-tasting pieces of pork fat ... and the "parmesan foam" placed on top of each scallop ... which was a hint of cheese taste in some kind of weird foamy stuff ... that was nearly tasteless, and just too strange. There are so many great places to eat in Disney. I can't imagine any reason to come back to CA Grill, because for the price, there are lots better menus. This makes me very sad.

2  Thank Marcia D
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had the good fortune to try out the newly "re-imaged" California Grill on our last trip to WDW. Husband had the pork sampler plate and I had the filet. Amazing food, amazing service, amazing views. They opened up a new observation deck on the north end of the roof where you can overlook Epcot. If you eat dinner there, show your receipt to be admitted to the roof later in the evening to watch the fireworks. Beautiful decor... in short, it's as good as it ever was. If you tell them that you have a special occasion, watch for the special dessert!

1  Thank dunnhorn1
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We have been big fans of the CG for many years and we were anxiously awaiting our return there after their renovation and we did so on Oct. 15th.

The check in was great and although they told me they were running 10 minutes behind reservation time, we were seated 10 minutes early!

We were seated in the former wine room with a nice view of Bay Lake. It's not as exciting as the MK view but it is quieter and more intimate than the main room. The renovations were nice but the added seating seemed to make the place even louder.

The menu seems quite scaled down from pre renovation times. It was much less interesting, although this is truly subjective.

As for the food, I started with the baby romaine salad, which consisted of romaine, an undistinguished but soggy purple vegetable, croutons and an anchovy. It was not good (C-). For my entree I had their pork tenderloin signature dish (now with one less tenderloin replaced by pork belly). It was OK but the pork belly was not a positive change, IMO. Further, the tenderloin was not as good as the many times I've had it in the past (C).

My wife had the flatbread which was very good (B+).

My wife had a nice beer from a pretty decent craft beer selection. I had a really lousy Mai tai. We both had a glass of Rorderer sparkling wine, which is always great.

Lastly, the CG was always known for their spectacular deserts. The menu now did not even tempt us a little.

Hopefully they're still sorting things out from their renovation but this experience was sadly many steps below the standard they had set in the past.

3  Thank Keysmickey