“SoSo”
Review of California Grill

California Grill
Ranked #47 of 3,929 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: "California Grill is a Signature Dining restaurant that serves up award-winning gourmet dinners and sweeping views atop Disney's Contemporary Resort. Venture into this vibrant and charged atmosphere and watch the creation of culinary masterpieces in the on-stage kitchen.
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Staff seems to have an attitude that they are well above Disney standards. Kinda SNOOTY & ALOOF. vIEW WAS GREAT FODD.....ok BUT SERVING STAFF....WELL YOU GET IT

Write a ReviewReviews (3,123)

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I will go to this restaurant every time I go to Disney, it's that great. From the food to the view, it's all spectacular. Try to go during the fireworks.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Recently ate at California Grill and had a rather disappointing experience. I had been looking forward to this meal since we booked our Disney vacation. Unfortunately, it completely missed the mark. We started with a cheese plate which had a really great selection. When I asked our waiter for share plates as there were three of us sharing it, she looked at me as if she had no understanding why I would ask for such a thing. Upon arrival of the cheese plate, it was placed in the center of the table with no explanation of what the cheeses were. We certainly weren't looking for a dissertation on cheese, but a short, simple explanation of what kind of cheese it is and where it's from would have sufficed. My mother had the king salmon for her entree with a spring pea risotto and finished with a ramp pesto. The salmon was seared to perfection and the ramp pesto was fantastic. The perfect spring dish....really great! Both myself and my son had the soft shell crab which unfortunately was awful. The whole preparation was a disaster. The crab was prepared with a purple peruvian bread pudding, local peaches and an heirloom tomato ving I believe. It literally looked like one big black mass on the plate. The only color coming from pea tendrils garnishing the dish if I remember correctly. The crab was crusted with blue chip and fried. The entire dish was dry and flavorless. I can't imagine how anyone in the kitchen tasting this entree could being happy with the result and I certainly can't imagine how a dish as lovely as the salmon came out of the same kitchen as the crab. Really strange. The service was unpolished and awkward for what you would expect from this type of restaurant.

Great wine list, modern, minimal dining room with fantastic view of Magic Kingdom. I really love that they are sourcing some things locally and using seasonal produce, fish, etc... However, at a restaurant with this reputation I expect impeccable service and I expect my $40 soft shell crab to be phenomenal.

2  Thank muscleb
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The cheese platter is highly recommended. I also recommend the steak. We're from NY and are used to steak houses. The food here did not disappoint!

1  Thank WantsToJustTravel
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Very good. Be prepared to wait. We waited 30 minutes with a reservation. Book around 9:30 pm to see the fireworks over Magic Kingdom. Food was good but not as good as some of the more inexpensive places in the park. Takes two meal credits on plan to eat. Lamb was tough but sushi was excellent.

1  Thank Jbruhl