“Food good, long wait, expensive”
Review of Bongos Cuban Cafe

Bongos Cuban Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Bongos Cuban Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #317 of 3,883 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I know this is Disney and the Expensive part of my review is probably expected but it was pricey. The food was great. Had ropa Viejo and it was tasty. The black beans were flavorful and the rice was good. Wife had a special mojito and it was good, but probably not worth the price. Have a good kids menu. The music is very loud and hard to have a conversation with other guests at your table.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had lunch here while on my Disney Vacation. I ordered the Cuban Shrimp Criollo and Tostones (green plaintain) with Mojo sauce which tasted like lime mixed with fresh coconut milk and pulp. The criollo was perfectly seasoned shrimp creole blend served in fried green plaintain cups. It wasn't overly spicy, salty or sweet. The flavor was just right. The tostones were lightly fried press flat and about the diameter of an orange. This was my first taste of green plaintain and I didn't know what to expect. I usually eat them ripe and they taste sweet. The green taste like potatoes without the dry texture. I tried the tostones dipped in the mojo. They were a good balance to the Criollo, but I found I liked them best when I put the criollo on top of the tostones w/mojo. The best of both worlds.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Cuban Food is superb but grease laden burgers and other ecclectic nightmares abound on this menu. They tout their pork burger which came on a grease soaked bun with questionably fresh meat. Very odd taste. One bite and not one of the 5 of us could eat it. We complained about it and the restaurant was more than happy to exchange it for another meal as long as we paid for the burger and the new meal!
Lousy and foolish management.
This is not Cuban food! Don't blame the Cubans. Blame Gloria Estafan and tell her to go back to singing - she certainly can't cook.

Guess you can do anything to tourists at Downtown Disney and get away with it. Locals know better than to return.

2  Thank J K
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The food was amazing, great setting, great atmosphere, there is a wait however they give you a beeper that you can carry while walking around the shops close by.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Their Pina Coladas are great, but pricey! But what isn't at Disney? Went south when I stayed for dinner. Service was terrible & the shredded steak I ordered (one of their specialties) was drier than a dust storm in the Mohave!

A waste of time & money! I should have listened to the Cuban I met who said it was not authentic. He recommended a restaurant in Celebration instead.