“Good Food and Great Theming”
Review of Kona Cafe

Kona Cafe
Ranked #209 of 3,863 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Asian, Polynesian, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Kona Cafe infuses a bit of Asian zest into traditional American breakfast, lunch and dinner fare in Disney's Polynesian Resort. Indulge in the scrumptious cinnamon and banana-stuffed Tonga Toast or choose from a variety of more savory breakfast options like a variety of egg dishes and pineapple macadamia nut pancakes.At midday, satisfy your hunger with an Island chicken sandwich and housemade sweet potato chips, shrimp and scallops, or other tasty entrees. Dine in the evening on delicacies such as a selection of fresh fish, grilled ginger-crusted ribeye steak or coconut almond chicken.As you enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of this Polynesian restaurant, feast your eyes across the onstage open pastry kitchen that prepares divine desserts. Kona Cafe offers authentic Kona coffee as a perfect pairing to these pastries, or as a rich addition to any meal.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We checked in about 20 minutes before our reservation and were seated immediately. Tables are very close together and restaurant is open to second floor lobby on one side so don't expect quiet and romantic. Theming as very tropical and fit with the hotel. We watched the lighting of torches ceremony in outer lobby, which added to the atmosphere. It is a must see once while visiting. Menu was varied and something for everyone. Steak was supposed to be one of the best in Disney but I don't eat meat so can't say. Husband had pan roasted lamb chops that he said were some of the best he has ever had. My grandaughter and I had grilled salmon and it was cooked to perfection but portions were a bit on small side for price so we saved room for dessert and enjoyed the meal very much. One of our party did not get their order and it was produced with a short delay. We were patient since we were on vacation. Not much of a kid place but it is Disney so their were plenty of small children. Don't go for quiet and romantic since tables are crowded and you are practically sitting at the next table. They have to pack them in, I guess. Not a deal breaker for me since it is a very sought after reservation to acquire and a family tradition for many. Tropical drinks from bar were delicious and stiff.

1  Thank KY_Road_Trippers

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had a reservation and were seated as soon as we arrived and at this point were asked if we had any allergies. I have a nut allergy and the staff could not be more helpful, our waiter advised the chef would be over to talk to me about the menu options and chef gave me information on all the meals and desserts I was able to have and was willing to alter desserts to make them suitable for me, they also made sure we had normal butter with our bread and not the nut butter usually served. We had Asian pan noodles with shrimp and teriyaki steak and both were excellent and the pineapple upside down cake for dessert was delicious as were the Bahama Mama cocktails. This is a great place to eat with great service and we would definitely recommend especially as the staff were so helpful with my allergy.

2  Thank PinaColada20
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We travel to Disney World about twice a year every year, but this was our first trip since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I made our ADRs ahead of time, keeping in mind the type of food that I could eat.
When we arrived I notified the waiter of my dietary needs, and he told me to look over the menu and the chef would come speak with me.
The chef came out and told me that he could prepare anything I wished. When they brought my meal out it was amazing and so flavorful! I had seared Mahi Mahi on a bed of mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon, with a buttery pecan sauce and fresh mango salsa topper. The flavors just melded together so well! It was one of the best meals I have ever had, and I was treated royally by staff. Disney really knows how to treat their guests with dietary problems!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have breakfast at the Kona Cafe once every trip to Disney, We wouldn't miss it! The food is delicious, and you can get real Kona coffee here (yum!!!) The food choices are quite extensive and all that we've tried has been delicious! Love the french press coffee here!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Staying with 3 children, my wife, and my parents at the Polynesian -- we wanted to have dinner there at least one night. Most reviews for the Kona Cafe were positive - menu had wide variety of options, and they had a table for 7 at a somewhat sane time of 5:30pm one month out, when the majority of Disney reservation dinners could only seat us at 3:40pm (great-grandparent eating time) or 9:40pm (beyond our 20's bar crowd days).

The meal was great. Beef, pork, chicken, seafood, and noodles -- all flavorful, filling, and prepared with quality ingredients. Ample portions yet eating to the point of needing a nap. We were never rushed -- yet waitress was close by for any drinks or items needed. Had a relaxed 2 hour dinner, including dessert.

Overall very pleasant, great choices, delivered as advertised. Would highly recommend as a real restaurant option -- food, service, and value all delivered. In the Polynesian lobby atmosphere -- a plus versus a generic room.