“Good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kona Cafe
Ranked #201 of 3,749 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Asian, Polynesian, Hawaiian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Kona Cafe infuses a bit of Asian zest into traditional American breakfast, lunch and dinner fare in Disney's Polynesian Resort. Indulge in the scrumptious cinnamon and banana-stuffed Tonga Toast or choose from a variety of more savory breakfast options like a variety of egg dishes and pineapple macadamia nut pancakes.At midday, satisfy your hunger with an Island chicken sandwich and housemade sweet potato chips, shrimp and scallops, or other tasty entrees. Dine in the evening on delicacies such as a selection of fresh fish, grilled ginger-crusted ribeye steak or coconut almond chicken.As you enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of this Polynesian restaurant, feast your eyes across the onstage open pastry kitchen that prepares divine desserts. Kona Cafe offers authentic Kona coffee as a perfect pairing to these pastries, or as a rich addition to any meal.
MA
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We did not have a reservation for Kona Cafe and shoes up about 7:45. We had about an hour wait which was fine. We browsed the gift shops to pass the time. It was a little chilly in the restaurant so if you are someone who gets cold easily bring a sweater! We ordered the pot stickers right away and were brought bread as well. It came very quickly which was good because we were starving. All the food was delicious. We had the macadamia chicken, kids Mahi mahi and the noodle dish. Then we split the chocolate dessert. It was a quieter, less themed restaurant which is sometimes nice after some of the character or themed restaurants. If you are looking for a nice restaurant with good food at a monorail resort you won't be disappointed. But, make a reservation!

• Korean first
Sherman, Connecticut
“Do not go to Spirit of Aloha luau”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Do not waste your money. This was very expensive and a terrible waste of money. The show was ok but the food almost inedible.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Orlando, Florida
“Obnoxious server couldn't get us down!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hi there! I'm a huge disney fan and have just moved to the orlando area permanently. As such, I've tried tons of disney restaurants, and can compare them pretty well.

The food here holds up in traditional disney fashion! The beef skewers (and their sauce) were especially awesome! As were the sticky wings! My boyfriend and I each had the teriyaki steak with rice and a pasta salad. The steak was excellent as well! But the pasta salad was alright. For dessert my boyfriend had the chocolate creme brule brule boule boule boule it was called? Basically a chocolate fondue kind of dessert with different fruits. He loved it! I had a big bowl of ice cream with sprinkles and cotton candy served in a waffle cone (I'm a little kid at heart)!

All of the food was great! The cast members at the check-in desk were so cheerful, helpful, and kind! When we arrived we were told that they would be serving lunch at 12 and our reservation was for 11. They happily changed it, and we were seated at 12 exactly. We also had an issue with a cast member discount and it was resolved so nicely by the management staff. They really were so professional and kind! The bussing team was also great- our food came so fast and they helped make our experience better!

I wish the same could be said for our server Maria from Peru. Now as a young woman from a spanish background I'm used to boisterous talking. But Maria could be heard from across the restaurant. She also repeatedly referred to me and the woman seated behind us as "mama" (I didn't have any children with me so I took this as a colloquial means of greeting), which just seemed really unprofessional and "un-disney" to me. But I would have been fine with just loudness- we were happily celebrating an anniversary and the food was just so good! But everything that came out of her mouth just seemed so rude and out of place at such a tranquil restaurant. For starters, when my boyfriend finished his entree she said "finally your done!" as if it was awful that he took so long- mind you I was still working on my plate, and he was so hungry he scarfed it down in a few minutes (plus it was just so good)! She practically yelled at me when she brought me vanilla ice cream with chocolate dressing, after I had specifically asked (and very politely mind you) for just vanilla. She said "I know you can see the desserts on the bar there so I thought you knew what you were getting. but fine I'll get you another." wow, I was amazed. Never in all of my years at disney did I receive such strange and rude service. The guests behind us also received some very strange responses, but not anything I can remember at the time except for her very loudly saying "wow you really didn't like that" about a plate I suppose. At one point, the lady behind us locked eyes in amazement at the situation. Still we didn't complain. We weren't going to let her bad mood ruin our day. But it seems like someone did, because the next thing we knew a manager was tailing her throughout the room, and her demeanor and service changed dramatically. Still strange- but at least somewhat polite.

Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant. It's pretty well priced (by disney standards) and the food was great. The staff- aside from our server Maria- were wonderful! I would just suggest that if you're seated with a server like Maria, that you should maybe speak up so that other guests like yourselves wouldn't have to deal with the same standard of service.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Westerville, Ohio
“Always Enjoy the Kona Cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I always enjoy dining at the Kona Cafe. The menu is a bit limited, but I greatly enjoy a couple of the selections on the menu. Good food and good service. It is great for offering a break from the Magic Kingdom. The restaurant is usually bustling with energy.

Sarasota, FL
“good breakfast spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We've had breakfast here a few times, and no complaints, it was very good again. We always order the Kona coffee in the presspot and it never disappoints. This time I tried their signature breakfast, Tonga toast. I would recommend it. It's very sweet and sticky, but I enjoyed it. We had a good table and very good service. As with so many places in Disney these days, I would highly recommend making a reservation? It was'nt as busy this time, but this place can get very crowded.

• 3 of 5 bubbles