“Tourist Trap”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Reviewed April 2, 2013

It's a shame things have gone so horribly downhill at Downtown Disney; they're just going through the motions out there. Rainforest Cafe is a prime example of horribly overpriced, bad food, wrapped up in a just average, to below average, theme restaurant. The rainforest experience was interesting at first, but upon closer inspection it's circa early 1980s jerky animatronics and is VERY stale. As for food pricing, take a typical menu at any chain restaurant anywhere else and add $10 to the price of each item and that's the pricing at Rainforest. Then serve up Velveeta cheese nachos and over cooked hamburgers and you get the idea. The food cost is clearly bare bones yet they charge a premium. Service was good, though for the life of me I can't understand why we were seated towards the outskirts of the dinning room. We had a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) + two additional adults and our lunch bill was $115. And that was being price conscious. Overall I was very disappointed with the experience and we will not ever go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,761)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked a tale at The Rainforest Cafe as it was available on the Disney Dining Plan when we were in Animal Kingdom.

We arrived five minutes prior to our reservation to be told that we had to join the queue to be seated.

As our reservation was at 1:25, the queue was out the door and after waiting in line for over 10 minutes, we eventually got to the host who gave us a ticket and told us to wait for our server.

We waited a further five minutes before being taken through the tackiest decorations I have ever seen.

Whilst I appreciate the theme (there are leaves/trees and animatronic animals everywhere), we were looking for a nice quiet place to have lunch.

Our server was a little over the top and promptly warned us about the thunderstorms and gorilla's (which were next to us) and asked if we had brought umberella's to keep us dry.

Again, I understand the ethos here, but for two adults wanting lunch, this irritated me beyond belief.

Whilst the server gave us our menu's we had to wait and "watch the gorrilla's" Who raised their animatronic arms and made ridiculously load noises before we could order.

Nearly 25 minutes after our reservation time, we managed to get our order in.

The food was served quickly and was very good. It was ruined however by our server asking us four times if "everything is ok."

The portions were massive, far too much for one person to eat and neither my partner nor I finished our entree. We declined dessert for fear of burtsing.

Whilst I enjoyed the food, the decor and behaviour of the staff was something I could not comprehend and for this reason, I will never return to a Rainforest Cafe.

If you do go, go with an open mind and be prepared...

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited at the Disney animal kingdom. We had a reservation for lunch. We arrived 15 minutes early and walk ins were seated before us. Service was very slow and the food was terrible. The price was expensive for such poor qualiy

1  Thank mcmCalgary
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The worst thing about going to Orlando is the dining. Too many people and the restaurants are too small. We waited 2 hours and 30 min to get in and finally gave up after the kids fell asleep. No, I didn't have reservations, but not everyone can plan their trips 1 year in advance. Disney should consider that and leave some table space for walk ins and reservation slots for people who call 1 week or even the say before. At least I saved a chuck of money because the food was very pricey from looking at the menu and I know the kids wouldn't have eaten everything. Save your money and let them shop in the store. Just hang out for about 30 min and you can see the animals move without having to buy dinner.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Big fans of the China Island Salad - and this Rainforest is huge! Expect to wait a long time for a table - UNLESS you are a Landry's card member - check it out and sign up - it provides you with preferred seating (cuts the wait time down significantly - it's like a FastPass for dining!)