“not as expected”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: Yachtsman Steakhouse in Disney's Yacht Club Resort is a dinner restaurant boasting high-grade steaks, succulent seafood, free-range chicken and juicy lamb dishes. The menu is rounded out with innovative children's choices for a satisfying family dining experience.A New England theme is the backdrop for this classic steakhouse where you can discover seasonal flavors every time you dine! Serving the best in quality, aged, grain-fed beef from the open kitchen that features a butchering room where the steaks are hand-cut, the chef has paired unique accompaniments with each entree, and the sommelier offers a wide selection of wines from both new- and old-world regions on the award-winning list.The Yachtsman Steakhouse takes special care of children's tastes with a menu that sports finger-licking grilled chicken strips, baked fish, pasta and grilled sirloin steak.For the finale, let the elegant dessert tray tempt you with creme brulee with rolled chocolate and fresh berries or seasonally inspired desserts.Watch chefs prepare your meal in the open kitchen as you relax in leather seats amongst gleaming brass and polished woodwork beneath knotty-pine beams. This Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts restaurant is a top-deck experience for the entire family!
Reviewed October 1, 2010

My wife and I made a reservation here for our romantic honeymoon dinner. Firstly, we were greeted by a waitress who told us 'you are not in my section, your kind of outt of the way.' as she was holding glasses she had bussed from another table instead of making us feel special we felt like we were an inconvenience, so we complained to the manager something we have never done before. The manager was rude he did not even apologize just asked us what we wanted to eat and said he would take care of it not checking up on us again. The food was also not steakhouse quality, tasted like golden corral. We ordered the escargot, filet mignon, and ny strip. Thhe filet was not tender and additionaly had some concoction smothered on it that tasted like a mix of bbq sauce and steak sauce. The strip steak was also tough, but definitely better then the filet because there was no sauce with it. This restaurant was the most dissapointing one in our trip, we liked food from the stands on the street better. We highly recommend that anyone thinking of dining here reconsider due to rudeness and horrible food.

1  Thank alliekat217
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Our daughter treated us to dinner the Yachtsman Steakhouse for our anniversary and it was wonderful. The service was outstanding as were the steaks. Our celebration was lovely!

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We love the signature dining restaurants on WDW property. Overall, I would have to say they have not suffered some of the degradation suffered by table service restaurants due to "Free Dining". That being said, my personal favorite has long been the California Grill. My wife's "must-do" dining experience on property has been "Jiko". That changed for both of us this Summer.

We dined at all three of the above mentioned restaurants, but the entire family (son included) has fallen in love with the Yachtsman. We were so impressed with our dinner the first night that we quickly changed two other ADRs for dinners at the Yachtsman. We were impressed by three things at this restaurant: the food, service, and ambiance.

First and foremost, the food at the Yachtsman is impeccable. Period. I read some of the previous reviews and found them so completely opposite from mine that they were almost laughable. Not to impugn a previous review's take on the "trio of chocolate" dessert, but it was really the impetus behind our third return trip to the Yachtsman for me. I found this dessert to be absolutely decadent and rich with varying chocolate flavors. My favorite dessert was the signature banana napoleon. However, on one night, I tried my wife's trio of chocolate and loved it so much I knew we'd have to eat there a 3rd time on that trip just so I could savor one all to my own. The desserts, however, aren't the only thing worth raving about at the Yachtsman. I had the dry-aged New York strip steak all three times and it was consistently wonderful all three times. The steak was always cooked to a perfect medium-rare, as I ordered and was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth delicious! My wife, who is not an avid fan of steak (she usually orders a fish entree) was immediately in love with this steak and also ordered it all three times. Each steak was perfect. We did not opt to swap out the potato gratin and found it to be rich, creamy and the perfect compliment to the peppercorn sauce on the steak. As far as appetizers, we tried the Caesar salad which was very good, but, on the 3rd time, I tried the lobster bisque and it was phenomenal. It was the best lobster bisque I've ever eaten.

With regards to the service, we had two different servers on our three trips and both were amazing. On the first night, we had the pleasure of meeting Oscar and on the last two nights, we enjoyed the friendly and professional service of Samir. Both gentlemen were professional and yet completely personable. Samir won huge points with my wife by referring to her as "my lady". Both servers were extremely polite, professional and gentlemanly. Samir went so far as to secure our third reservation for us while we were there on our 2nd visit. I had tried to book a 3rd ADR online and there were no tables available for the date I was trying to secure. I mused about this with Samir during the course of the meal and he said, "Would you like to come back?" I said "Absolutely, but there aren't any ADRs for the day I need". He asked what day I'd like to come and what time I'd like to come and he told me he would have a table ready for us. And ready he did. He had one of the best tables in the house prepared for us. All I had to do was arrive at the podium and tell the hostess that Samir had a table for us at 6:00. Talk about feeling like a VIP! In the many times we've dined at the Yachtsman, we've never experienced bad service. In my opinion, these are some of the best servers on Disney property. They were attentive, but not obtrusive. Always right there when something was needed (i.e. a refill on drinks or plates cleared) but never hovering. Perfect.

Finally, we loved the ambiance of the Yachtsman. This restaurant consists mostly of wooden floors and walls. The wood is a nice honey color and not a dark mahogany. The color is warm and inviting, but yet contrasts nicely against the white linen tablecloths. The feeling is elegant, but yet maintains a comfortable feeling as well. Since our main purpose for visiting Disney World is go to the theme parks (i.e. a vacation), we appreciate all that Disney has done to accommodate guests and make them feel welcome in their signature restaurants - even if they just came from a theme park. Since these meals took place during the summer, and because we usually had plans involving a night in one of the theme parks, I usually dressed in Eddie Bauer shorts and wore a Polo shirt. My footwear was always geared towards comfort. Usually I wore Keens or Crocs. My wife would usually wear something casual, but yet a little more than daytime park touring clothes. However, I never looked badly at people who were nicely appointed in the dining room. I'm kidding, of course. It is not unusual to see slacks and long sleeve shirts in this restaurant, but I certainly never felt out of place with shorts and a collared shirt. I wouldn't feel out of place with a t-shirt on, but, for me, the Polo is about as close to "dressed up" as I want to approach on holiday and in the humid, hot climate of Central Florida in the Summer. As I said, Disney has gone out of their way to make sure guests feel comfortable in any signature restaurant (saving for Victoria and Albert's) even if they have just come in from, say, the Magic Kingdom. All that being said, I found the Yachtsman to be a quiet, romantic and intimate restaurant. On the three nights we dined there, we experience no children running around the restaurant or being obnoxious. My take on the whole "kids in signature restaurants" is this: it's DISNEY WORLD! It was pretty much made for them! If dining with children bothers you, I strongly suggest you book either Victoria and Albert's or go off property. As long as I've been going to Disney World, I've never had a dining experience where a child was out-of-control or running amok. If I did, I would probably say something to the server or manager. However, I've got to say I've seen more inappropriate displays of temper tantrums and outbursts from "adults" then I've ever seen from children. Usually, it's the parents that I've seen act rudely, entitled, obnoxious or just down right vulgar.

This past summer, we all agreed that the best dining experiences we had were at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Originally, I expected a stuffy and perhaps snobby atmosphere. I don't know why I had that misconception. Perhaps it was some stereotype from associations with Yacht Clubs in the past. This place is anything but that. It's a warm, inviting restaurant that is expensive, but serves food that is worth it in every sense. Dining here is most definitely a treat and a special occasion. We can all say without hesitation that the Yachtsman Steakhouse is our new favorite restaurant on Walt Disney World property!

3  Thank irunnoft
Reviewed September 1, 2010

As with most Disney restaurants, the service is fantastic and the food is top notch! The steaks were amazing! A little on the pricey side but well worth it!

Reviewed August 29, 2010

This used to be a high end fine dinning restaurant where you wore nice clothes and you felt good to be able to eat there.. Now not so much. Shorts flip flops and old t shirt will make you feel right at home with this family style steak house.

I have been going to this steakhouse for over 10 years. My wife and I spend special occasions in the Disney area. Yachtsman has always been one of our top five for dress up fine dinning and a great meal without the Disney family noise and hassle. We have had some romantic meals here in the past and brought friends and colleagues here for nice dinners and never a complaint in all times of the year especially the week before school goes in at the end of summer which is my wife's birthday. This place was truly a treat....

Now it's not the same.. Something has changed. the noise was amazing we thought at times there may have been music playing but we could not quite make it out.. The kids were all over the place literally running around. Honestly I thought we were at a character dinner or something. Our seating for 2 for a romantic birthday table with way in advance reservations was back in the back near a door that was heavily trafficked. Some of the folks eating there looked as though they came right out of the Disney Parks on a 95 degree summer day. If our seating had not been changed we would have left. We asked to be moved and they found us a not so busy area table that would work still noisy as hell but better.

Our waitress was great and apologized for the changes they have made to make the place to make it more attractive for families with small kids and lower budget visitors through meal plans and what not. Frankly we were not amused.

The food was still very good in fact, way past the atmosphere. It was high end steak house food in a McDonalds setting but the prices were still VERY high, our meals were 65.00 a piece with no alcohol.... I was concerned at first that the quality of food may go down hill with the clientele but it had not.

I recommend..
Families this place, like most in Disney is now for you. Go and enjoy a very expensive fantastic meal where they don't mind your kids making all kinds of noise and even running around from table to table.

Anyone else desiring a nice maintained atmosphere where folks actually dress to go there.... Look elsewhere..

We are hugely disappointed this was a favorite.

2  Thank Steven L