“Our least favorite Disney dining experience”

Yachtsman Steakhouse
Ranked #91 of 3,894 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: Yachtsman Steakhouse in Disney's Yacht Club Resort is a dinner restaurant boasting high-grade steaks, succulent seafood, free-range chicken and juicy lamb dishes. The menu is rounded out with innovative children's choices for a satisfying family dining experience.A New England theme is the backdrop for this classic steakhouse where you can discover seasonal flavors every time you dine! Serving the best in quality, aged, grain-fed beef from the open kitchen that features a butchering room where the steaks are hand-cut, the chef has paired unique accompaniments with each entree, and the sommelier offers a wide selection of wines from both new- and old-world regions on the award-winning list.The Yachtsman Steakhouse takes special care of children's tastes with a menu that sports finger-licking grilled chicken strips, baked fish, pasta and grilled sirloin steak.For the finale, let the elegant dessert tray tempt you with creme brulee with rolled chocolate and fresh berries or seasonally inspired desserts.Watch chefs prepare your meal in the open kitchen as you relax in leather seats amongst gleaming brass and polished woodwork beneath knotty-pine beams. This Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts restaurant is a top-deck experience for the entire family!
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I chose the deluxe dining package for our 1st ever Disney vacation so we could experience the Signature restaurants and for our 1st night at the resort we dined at the Yachtsman. The food was very good, 1 of the top 5 best steaks we've ever had but the service was not to Disney standards.

We had a 7:40 reservation on a Monday during 1 of the slowest weeks of the year. When we arrived a few minutes early we were told that our table wasn't quite ready and it would be about 10 minutes, no problem. An hour later we were finally seated in a 3/4 empty dining room! We then waited another 5-10 minutes for our waiter to arrive at the table and bring water. We presented him with our card with our dining plan on it and explained that this was our 1st night and our 1st stay at Disney. He didn't explain anything about our dining plan at all. I'll take responsibility that I didn't read the materials well and we didn't know our plan included an appetizer but the waiter never informed us either so we passed on some things we would have loved to try since we didn't want to spend the additional money. Also, for the remainder of the week, every server at every restaurant went over our plan with us and what it included at his/her particular restaurant.

Although our steak was good there is more to a Signature dining experience than just the food. With so many other high caliber restaurants available on the property next time we'll skip the Yachtsman and go elsewhere.

1  Thank HaveWineWilTravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The steak was one of the best we ever ate! Cooked to perfection, and so tasty. Our server Darryl was the most helpful person, and paid a lot of attention to details. We loved this restaurant!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had made reservations well in advance to celebrate my husband and I 10th wedding anniversary. Upon arriving to check in I inquired about the special cake that I had ordered. I was told it was listed on the reservation but not sure what had happened because it was not there. I was assured that this would be taken care of. We were joined by three others for this celebration. The only thing that was pleasant about this meal was the fact that we were seated at our reservation time. Our server Kathy, did not seem to be having a good night. We had a 520 reservation, so it was fairly empty. When asked about menu recommendations she seemed bothered. My husband asked to be shown a wine list and it was delivered 15 minutes later along with asking for our menu selection. She seemed more put out when we asked for a few minutes since the wine list was just given to us. We choose the Caesar salad, lobster Bisque and Steakhouse wedge. Entrees included, 28oz Porterhouse, Chicken Dumplings and the New England Striped Bass. The steak was a little fatty, the chicken seasoned poorly and the fish not cooked all the way through. The sides, truffle mac and cheese, creamed spinach and rainbow carrots. The two children's selection were adequate but barely touched. When it can time for dessert, we were given the dessert menu instead of the cake I had ordered. Our server said she was not informed. Upon delivery of dessert ( Creme Brulee, peanut Butter Pretzel cake and Lemon pudding cake) our server placed a plate the read Happy anniversary with two sugar cube pieces of fudge?? not sure what this very hard rubbery stuff was. That was it. I left very disappointed since this was a surprise for my husband. I was refunded the upcharge for the cake. $301.24 was the meal total. thank goodness we were on the DDP otherwise my night would have been worse. We all left hungry and will not return again.

2  Thank Kim C
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After 2 years in a row at Fulton's Crab House in Downtown Disney, we thought it was time to try another place for our NYE meal. Fulton's was very good ( 1st time better than last year), but it took us an HOUR just to get out of the parking out at DD on NYE with 20 million others....

We made a reservation in my favorite Disney hotel, The Yacht & Beach Club, at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. It was a price-fixed meal at $75 pp, and since other places I looked were DOUBLE and even more, this sounded good. Plus we had eaten here twice before, and loved it.

Service was terrific with Al as our waiter, and a gal from Japan ( forgot her name, sorry!). We had a seafood appetizer first which consisted of crab, shrimp & lobster with 2 sauces to dip in. We also got VERY hot & yummy bread, butter & garlic before our appetizer...the appetizer was delicious..next came a choice of caesar salad or lobster bisque..again very good...the choices for entrees included filet mignon, rib-eye steak, NY Strip, a chicken dish, Sea Bass & pasta dish. I had the NY strip along with my wife, my soon to be brother-in-law, and my sister-in-law had the Bass. The steaks came with potatoes au-gratin and mushrooms & brussel sprouts ( last two items I hate, but what the heck). The Au-gratin potatoes were hot and awesome...but the real winner here was the NY Strip, which Al, our waiter, suggested along with the rib-eye. It was cooked PERFECTLY for me, charred on the outside, a bit pink in the middle with the juices running down my fork with every bite.

Dessert was terrific, as well. It consisted of indiviual plates, each containing a Flan, chocolate brownie, a marshmallow brownie ( fantastic!) , fruit, and another small dessert item, that I didn't know what it was, but it was good...we left stuffed and very satisfied. Then a nice walk around the beautiful grounds of the Disney resort, then off to see the fireworks at the Grand Floridian Hotel for NYE...We will be coming back again to the Yachtsman Steakhouse again....

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I were actually looking forward to this evening (Christmas Eve dinner) and had heard great things about the place. Our first surprise was finding out upon arriving that there was a set menu for the evening. Now, there is not particularly anything wrong with a set menu, but there were two problems for us. First, it would have been nice to have been notified in advance that there would be a set menu. Granted, we made our reservations online during the summer, but they did have our email address as part of the reservation process. Would it have been so hard to notify diners through the emails we all provided? Second, even that issue would have been minor if the menu had actually been that good. While the amuse bouche of duck sausage was fine, the lobster bisque was way too salty at the start and way to peppery at the finish of each spoonful. The roe mousse did not do much for the flavor except make it excessively fishy (not really what you want in a lobster bisque). I found my steak (a New York Strip) to be average and the sides...well, what can you say about mushrooms and brussels sprouts? I tried my wife's mashed potatoes, and if they were not instant, they were the closest I have found in a while. The Buche de Noel was ok, if that is your thing, and the wines were fine. So, we were left with a bill for $250.00 for a meal that was, at least for us and several other diners around us, something less than what we had hoped for. Actually, I really felt for the families who were there. I understand that at a steakhouse, the menu must be more than hotdogs and pizza, but the set menu locked parents into paying for meals that their kids would not eat or forced parents to into whatever they do to persuade/force their kids to eat. As for the service, our server was indifferent and took forever to attend to us-I suppose she was having to deal with irate diners who were surprised at the set menu (I saw her having to engage in what passed for customer relations with several diners during the evening). Finally, to those who might ask, "Well, why didn't you just leave when you found out about the menu?", it is hard to find reservations on the fly on Christmas Eve at Disney and there is a charge to your credit card if you cancel too close to reservation time or do not show. However, I wish I had just taken the charge when viewed in retrospect. I doubt I will be going back there again.

1  Thank Scott G