“Don't waste you money”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Reserve with OpenTable
Taj Mahal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,475 of 3,894 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Austrian Crt
Description: Indian Food from Fresh Ingredients and Homemade Spices You will find the taste of each Indian delicacy unique and different from others. We are one of the few Indian restaurants in the Orlando area which uses fresh ingredients and homemade spices. Our food is rich and flavorful with deep character. Visitors may enjoy a romantic setting with lush booths for intimate dining and we offer special tables for larger families for comfort and privacy. Our slogan is “We are all about taste”, and we earned our reputation as the only restaurant in town with an attitude to accommodate all your special requests. TajMahal® welcomes overseas groups with special religious and dietary needs from the Indian subcontinent. Open daily for delicious Indian food on International Drive in Orlando near the Convention Center. Our restaurant is a short drive from Disney World and most Orlando area tourist attractions.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were really looking forward to this meal they had a good selection on the menu to choose from and were helpful at recommending us certain dishes. When they came out they were all red i have never had a red Korma before! It seems that the base to all the currys is tomato so thats why they all look the same. We couldn't tell the difference between any of them the Korma was just as bland as the Tikka i'm sure it is all the same sauce. The bill was incredibly expensive considering we went because the kids eat free our portion sizes were tiny in comparision to the table next to us. We were told the meal would be ready in 15 minutes it was nearly 40 minutes. The popadoms and pickles thry brought out which we thought were complimentary they charged us a fortune for. They brought out extra beers we hadn't ordered and charged us for them. I wouldn't go back even if they were giving the food away and i wouldn't even say i was a fussy eater.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

This has to be the worst meal i have had in 43 years. Waited over half hour only people in the place. When the food came was luke warm no taste i am sure it has been reheated in a microwave and it was very expensive plz plz plz walk straight by

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We visited this place twice in May 2013 and I actually wrote a good review before.

The food was nothing special before, but nice enough. What a mistake it was to go back this year. Order a Shrimp curry, the Shrimps were terrible and hadn't even been removed from the sauce. I asked for it spicy, all it was was Shrimp in water with a load of powder mixed in, no taste and flavour at all. The Naan bread was burnt and practically inedible. 3 meals for over $100 for food that was complete and utter garbage. From reading other reviews this is a common theme. If the owner actually spent more time concentrating on the food instead of pacing up and down the place then he might notice that the food is awful. The waiter that served us was a complete joke, mumbling and not speaking properly, constantly having to ask him to repeat what he said. Halfway through the meal I asked for another beer, he walked off and I didnt see him again till I asked for the bill.

The best thing this owner can do is close. The place was empty. And for a justifiable reason. If you are going to serve such rubbish as what he did, you might as well just shut up shop now and not bother. Truly an awful experience. Id be surprised to see this place open in May 2015.

4  Thank Tom S
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The owner is definitely a gentleman. Very nice man. This is our second time at this restaurant. We visited Taj Mahal when we were in Orlando last year and I actually wrote a good review about this place (food must have been good last year for me to write a good review and for me to return back to this place). This year I honestly don't know where to start. After a long day at Universal Studios, my girlfriend and I decided to go for a 'heavy' Indian meal (we were hungry!) and we thought we'd visit this place again.

We asked the waitress for a Mango Shake - instead we were served a Mango Lassi (Huge difference, in fact its two different drinks with nothing in common other than the 'mango') As soon as my girlfriend took the first sip of her drink she realized it wasn't a mango shake. I didn't bother bringing it to any staff members' attention because it wasn't a big deal - after all the owner was a good guy and I didn't want to trouble him.

Our chicken tikka appetizer literally had 6 pieces of little mini chicken nugget looking pieces. From my experience at Orlando Indian restaurants, this is quite common (I don't know why)... We are use to the dishes in Toronto where they actually load up your plate with food. Can't complain though, the tikka appetizer was not that bad and it did have a bit of flavour.

The curry arrived (Chicken Tikka Masala) - it's safe to say that this was one of the worst indian dishes I have EVER had in my life. It was tin food material. The negative reviews about the curry being bland with no Indian spices is true!!!! People who are writing reviews saying that this is the best Indian food in Orlando obviously haven't tried real authentic Indian food. It tasted like water and the chicken had 0% flavour. It was definitely not my cup of tea! Throughout the whole meal my girlfriend and I kept complaining to each other how this was a huge mistake.

Finally we get our bill, I paid with my credit card and was given a receipt. I am ready to write down the tip amount only to see the service charge already included on the bill. This I definitely did NOT appreciate. It feels better giving a tip out of your own will rather than seeing it automatically calculated into your bill. This wasn't a party of 10, it wasn't even a party of 5, it was a party of 2! This thru me off even more on top of the not so pleasant dining experience.

On the bus ride home we were discussing the meal and deciding whether or not to write a review. The only reason we were contemplating on writing a review or not was because of the owner. I enjoyed talking to him and again he was a great guy. After reading the other reviews, I definitely had to put in my input.

3  Thank Toront O
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The food was disgusting, completely bland until you were hit with a massive amount of spice, which i specifically didn't ask for!!! The service was terrible i kept asking for my drink to be refilled which didn't happen, the decor was awful and then $105 for utter garbage!! Anyone visiting from the UK hoping to find an indian meal like back home, DONT BOTHER, wait until you get home.

2  Thank smithalx6