“"fancy" seating, felt like Princess Jasmine”
Review of Raga - CLOSED

Raga
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dr. Phillips
Transit: Yes stops near by.
Description: Upscale Modern Indian Cuisine | Lounge | Cocktails | Fine cuisine | Fine wine |
Tennessee
“"fancy" seating, felt like Princess Jasmine”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant was on a Tantalizing Tastes & Tours route to which several from our conference were treated. We enjoyed the variety that this company offered, and the Raga restaurant had truly authentic Indian food. We sat at a corner table that had an elegant velvet back, pillows, and a crystal chandelier. I do not know the cost since it was part of a tour sponsored by a book publisher for our group, but the service was very friendly and good and the food was tasty. We had Awandhi Lamb Korma (Mughlai) with rice and bread. I really liked the rice. The lamb also had potatoes, and since we served ourselves (part of the tour, so we didn't get large portions at any of the stops) I accidentally got potatoes instead of lamb. They were covered with sauce, and looked the same to me in the dim light. A server was kind enough to bring me a refill with the meat so that I could try it.

Visited February 2013

Titusville
“Great location and ambience, not your typical Indian restaurant”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm South Asian and that being said never, ever eat Indian food outside of home because, frankly, nothing compares to my mom's cooking. But, when I saw the ads for Raga I was very intrigued. It's not often that you find a high end Indian restaurant where thought and work were put into not only the menu and its choices but the decor and location as well.
Raga is located on a prime stretch of "restaurant row" on Sand Lake where you have an abundance of places to choose from.
I really enjoyed looking over the menu and loved that there were options from all over as well as many fusion items as wel. Being from South India I was a little disappointed that there weren't more dishes from that region but I'll live.
The chilean sea bass was amazing as well as the shrimp and chili chicken apps that we had. The nan was extremely fresh and right out of the oven. I was a little disappointed in the butter chicken though, very tomato tasting with not much flavor. But was happy with my meal overall.
Service was great, portions were a good size and too be honest, I thought the pricing wasn't that bad.
One thing, I wasn't impressed by the drink list, way too many sweet drinks...why not more with ginger or just a hint of flavor? Seemed like there were too many drinks with flavored (sweet vodkas) rather than more fresh unusual ingredients.
I'll go back again at least to be able to try the other items on the menu, unfortunately, my eyes are bigger that my stomach.

“AMAZING !!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We originally went here because we had a Groupon. My wife and I love Indian food and we have just found our new favorite Indian restaurant in SW Orlando. This restaurant is rather hidden on the 2nd floor of a building on Sand Lake Rd. We did not have reservations but the hostess said it wouldn't be a problem. The restaurant was much bigger than I expected. We were seated directly next to the kitchen which was not a good start. It was immediately obvious the staff took pride in this restaurant and they were SO attentive. The Murgh Biryani with Chicken was amazing. We did find the food items just a bit more expensive than we are used to but not significantly. The entire restaurant was clean and well taken care of. We were a little concerned how they are going to be able to stay open with being such a large hidden restaurant on Sand Lake "Restaurant Row" but the crowd was pouring in when we were leaving so I doubt our concerns were warranted.

1 Thank Jeff D
Orlando, Florida
“OK Food, Below Average Service”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A high end Indian Restaurant is rare to find anywhere outside New York. Orlando just got one about four months ago. My wife and I were late for our reservation - they were gracious not to make a fuss. They quickly found us a table in a rather full restaurant.

The food: What makes a high end restaurant different from an average restaurant? One of things is quality of ingredients. For example, an average Italian restaurant would use an average mozzarella you can find at your nearby supermarket. An good upscale Italian restaurant would use a specially made 25year aged mozzarella. The taste is different because there is a stark difference in quality of ingredients.

We ordered an appetizer, two main course dishes, a naan and a desert. Appetizer was delicious. Main course dishes were way below average. For example - Paneer Elachi (Cardamom) Pasanda had hardly any flavor of Cardamom. An average restaurant would use fake cardamom essence. You expect a restaurant like Raga to use real Cardamom. Alas- the flavors were all but bland and fake. Paneer; however, was out of this world. A pasanda curry also has an overt flavor of Saffron. Now, I understand that Saffron is very expensive nowadays, but why compromise on it? Just increase the price of the dish couple of bucks. When you are spending 75+ bucks for two, who cares for few more bucks! At least give real stuff.

Service had many blemishes-
*For the main course, Curries showed up but it took 10 minutes after that for Naan to show up. So the curries were fairly cold by the time Naan arrived. Put the curries on a warmer in the kitchen until everything is ready. This was terrible.

*No body bothered to check with us after the main course arrived, if everything was okay and if we needed anything else.

*Halfway through the meal, my glass ran out of water, it was never refilled. Even when we ordered desert, the waiter did not notice the empty glass to fill it up.

*The waiters were kind of running around all over the place, but they were never at the table when we needed them.

We will most probably go back to this place in few months to check out if anything has improved. If not, we will cross it off for ever.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“raga”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

my husband and I went to Raga last night for the first time last night. We had a great table. The staff were efficient. The management present but not over bearing. We loved the old world charm and service. What a relief not to be rushed. The food was lots and delecious. Hail to the chef. The music was disco and prefer modern Indian and the lights in the bar were to bright for my taste. We are already planning our next trip. Oh, go with mild favor, med is still hot for us!!