“The best!”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #328 of 4,061 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Dr Phillips Blvd.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

While we have eaten here a number of times and the food is wonderful, what keeps us coming back is the service. Tonight we had James as a server, he was fantastic, he listened to what we wanted, and the food made the mark as always. It was my husbands birthday and they made the occaision special. We will definatley be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Visited twice in a week.

This restaurant offers excellent value for money.

An excellent but noisey atmosphere (ask for a table in the side room if you prefer a quiet time).

The fixed price menus are very good, especially on Monday.

Service was very friendly and edfficient.

Only one further comment - I would prefer the food to be served hotter.

1  Thank Ralph1940
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It was our third stay in Orlando, and every year we go to Roy's, and we still appreciate it !We also visited Roy's in Chicago, the West Coast of Florida and on the different Hawaiian Islands, so we are really addicts of Roy's. Excellent cuisine, very nice staff...so what do you need more for an excellent evening ?

1  Thank mamapewa
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times and enjoyed great food and service, but this occasion was different. We always look forward to our visit to Roy's whenever we are in town, as it is one our our favourite places to eat in Orlando.

We arrived to a VERY crowded foyer, and despite having an early reservation, were kept waiting. There were a lot of customers, and not enough staff to deal with them. The check-in staff appeared unorganised which made the situation worse.

Our server was poor I'm afraid. He was taking our order but was clearly not listening to what we wanted. We ordered our food, but he was looking around at other things, clearly with his mind on something else. When ordering deserts, you have to order Soufflé's at the beginning of your meal, as they take time to cook. We ordered 4, one for each of us.

The starters arrived promptly and were delicious, Lobster Potstickers. Unfortunately, there was then an extremely long wait before our entrees arrived. There was no explanation nor apology from our waiter, in fact we didn't even see him. We were just left waiting for around 40 minutes in between courses. Our drinks were empty for a really long time - we had only 2 glasses of wine in a 3 hour meal, and our soft drinks were only refilled once. When the entrees did eventually arrive, they were just ok. Butterfish was slightly cold, but tasted good, the same for the shrimp.

Now onto the deserts. Surprisingly only 2 soufflés arrived. When we asked the server about the other 2, he said he thought we said Sundae's (but there were none on the menu) and we could order another 2 if we wanted, but it would take 20 minutes - which we agreed to, else 2 of us would be disappointed. Whilst I realise everyone makes mistakes, there was unfortunately no apology, which was the least he could do. The Soufflés arrived after another 30 minute wait along with the check, and I was extremely surprised to find we had been charged for the "extra" Soufflés. Bearing in mind we had waited so long, I would have expected the server to apologise and "comp" these.

When leaving the restaurant we had a word with a Manager, who was apologetic. He was clearly unaware of our experience and problem, and I feel the server was trying to cover up his mistake. From previous experience at Roy's, if things aren't right and Management are aware, they usually do their best to rectify it. The Managers are usually circling the restaurant and on all previous visits, approach your table to ask if we are happy. This did not happen on this occasion.

The Manager we spoke to gave us a gift card and I am happy to use this and leave another review, hopefully with 5 stars, but on this occasion, we were left disappointed.

1  Thank Roy K
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

We are so sorry for what took place when you dined and thank you for bringing it to the attention of the manager. Please, when you are ready to return please connect with me directly at jlee@roysrestaurant.com so that I can make your reservation directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Roy's, and appreciate that you'll give us another go.

Mahalo, Jeannie Lee

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have never reviewed the same restaurant twice but if you keep reading you'll see why. On a recent trip to Orlando my sister and I decided to have dinner at Roy's, having enjoyed it so much on previous visits. As usual, we were greeted by their courteous staff and seated quicker than we expected without a reservation.
We started our meal with a heaping bowl of edamame. Their seasoning is amazing with just the right amount of "kick." Without even asking our bowl was refilled by someone on their bus staff, not even by our waitress. For our main dishes my sister ordered the Teppanyaki Shrimp and I opted for the Braised Pork Shank, both on their reasonable prix fixe menu. The shrimp dish was delectable but the pork was surprisingly tough. Perhaps that was my error, thinking pork would,fall off the bone as beef short ribs do after they've been slow braised for hours. Our waitress, the effervescent Lindsey who was a recent transplant from Ohio, noticed I wasn't enjoying it and insisted on either getting me another order of the pork or offering another entrée. I decided to forgo the pork and orderd the shrimp my sister was raving about. The shrimp arrived not long after and the dish was superb. In the meantime, the manager stopped by the table to offer his apology. I rarely send anything back at a restaurant and always chalk these things up to something that's part of the dining experience--no big deal.
Now it gets really good. . .when the check arrived the manager stopped by again to say that he was sorry the pork was sub-par and to tell me my dinner would be on them. I heartily protested, truly believing they did everything possible to accommodate me to that point, and that I had a wonderful dinner I was more than happy to pay for. However, the manager, Al, insisted the restaurant pick up that part of the tab, and my sister and I were left speechless.
There's service and then then there's service. The staff at Roy's Hawaiian went well beyond anything that was expected. And they did it all with such professionalism. Totally different circumstances but my husband, aunt, uncle and I had a similarly wonderful experience at Roy's in Rancho Mirage, CA. I have a family trip to Maui at the end of this month and Roy's in Maui will be a mandatory stop. I loved Roy's from the start--the food, staff, ambiance are all in wonderful accord. It is my pleasure to continue to support a restaurant that values their customers to the extent they do. From a grateful and loyal customer, bravo, Roy's!

2  Thank ChinadollRVC