“Entirely horrible. Hokey in the extreme”

Holy Land Experience
The Holy Land Experience Admission Tickets
Ranked #92 of 442 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Holy Land Experience is designed to show visitors what it was like to live in the time of Jesus Christ.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I went with my family which is quite large, children aged 6-16. The children's attractions were bean bags tossing and rock climbing that wasn't even open. Jonah's attraction was a hokey fish with the creepiest fish faces I've ever had the displeasure to see.

Anyway, we thought it was going to be like the holy land, authentic and inspiring. But it was anything like the real holy land. Creepy, gawdy plastic cut outs of Middle Eastern people cover the park, but they are dressed in sparkly head garbs that are more like bejeweled prom dresses than the modest clothes of the time. Speaking of which, Jesus was blond and had blue eyes, not to mention he was decked out in rich, embroidered robes. Jesus. Don't they know he was a carpenter and a fugitive of the time and definitely not Caucasian.

The Passion play was very nice and moving, besides the hokey praise music sung by the tone-deaf actors. Good thing they sang loud or else I wouldn't have fully appreciated the lack of musical talent. The passion is a moving story in itself, so just keep the music instrumental. Very moving, enjoyed the play once I plugged my ears. Oh, it was also crowded in the 102 F heat, so crowded that people blocked the fans. There was a woman who walked around through the crowds during the play who told all the children they couldn't sit in the front. What's the logic behind that?

The museum full of history, finally. The woman who let us into the Scriptorium was so rude. We asked if the museum would be interesting for our little kids who are 10, 8, and 6. The woman just replied that "they aren't that young." Well, thank you for pointing out their age and avoiding the question.
The scriptorium was a group tour that narrated about History and preached to us. No big deal, we can just walk through the museum. Well, no, because you are blocked off by automatic doors that open when the boring narration is done. Each narration was around 7 minutes which made the entire tour an HOUR. Well, you can always escape the tour through the exits, oh wait, they're ALARMED. With little kids who clearly didn't enjoy the preachy, long winded tour, we ended up just pushing the automatic doors, triggering an alarm, but at least we got out of that tour.

There were cut outs of the owner's wife among the park. It was so self-promoting.

The cost was entirely too expensive, especially when you can spend 2 hours and see the entire park.

Go to a church and you'll get a far more inspiring experience than the idealized, Caucasian park filled with Italian plastic statues and white Jesus.

15  Thank Summer N
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)
All reviews
in 48 reviews
"lord"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2011

The Holy Land Experience is a "theme" park and the theme is the Bible. This was my 3rd time visiting Holy Land but it wasn't "old" for me. Stories of the Bible are brought to life through acting, singing and dancing. Are the plays outside? Yes, but so are most of the rides at Disney and Universal Studios. As you enter the parking lot of the Holy Land Experience you begin a walk through the Bible. The Holy Land Experience is a wonderful place to visit.

7  Thank Douglas63
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The trip to the Holyland Experience was truly an awesome experience in itself! Compared to Disney or Seaworld the admission price is definitely more affordable. This small park is filled with big blessings! Not really meant for kids, I'm glad I didn't bring my children along they would have been board,it's just more catered to adults(they do have a small kids adventure land).
Be sure to visit every dramatization, the acting is super good and the costumes are absolutely beautiful! The park was clean, staff was friendly and the cafe food (try the big ol turkey drumstick if you like turkey:-)) was delicious!
I will definitely return again and again. Be ready to get ur socks blessed off!

9  Thank JesusSaves56
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I was sooo dissappointed after spending my money, that I asked for a refund after spending only 45minutes in the park. As we drove through the gates, we were greeted by a guard who gave us a pink card and asked us to read before entering. We did. After entering, we were looking for someone to accept our tickets, there was no one. No one checked our bags (as indicated on the pink card), so we didn't feel safe. It was totally like a ghost town. No actors (advertisement says INTERACTIVE experience), no reinactments ANYWHERE, and nothing moved! People were just walking (not knowing where to go), or asking each other where things were. The times weren't clear for the performances. The statues were very EUROPEAN, and cheap looking! There were even paper cut-outs stationed all over the park. What a CHEAP place. This was truly NOT GOD'S EXCELLENCE!!!! A suggestion: Ask Disney or Universal to help create something of substace. They're good at it!!!!

16  Thank jlm0842
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2011

When I arrived to the holy land it was very beautiful on the property . Before coming down on a bus with a group of people we called and ask if we could bring small chair due to we were told by someone that had been there before of the limited amount of seating and was told yes we could, but when we get to the gate with the chairs we were told that we could not bring them inside. Some of the shows didn't have enough seating in there for everyone, so many had to stand during the show. They had to many things going on at the same time so that we could not even see all of them cause they were starting at the same time as others show so you had to pick and choose carefully. We had the privilege of being there the same day that Benny Hinn came and that was a real treat. But some of us stood in line as hot as it was outside for over an hour to get in and then the security guard announce to the people that had just walked up and told them that they can get in line with there family members which was not fair cause some of them had went to see another show and just so happen to come back to see us and there family still standing in line watch wasn't even coming to see Benny Hinn. Then other people just came and got in line as well and it cause a big mess and a lot of upset people. The food was way over price, now don't get me wrong I do understand that food at a theme park is high but this was really up there. Jan Crouch had life size cut out of her all over the property which was a bit much. We were also told that once we got in we could not leave until the park close, so we were there from the time that they open until and was there to buy there food and water cause you could not bring those things inside. I not real sure how true that was, but we end up staying until the end and way cause of the times of the shows. Other then those things the holy land was really nice and the plays and reenactments were awesome. Make sure that you bring a camera to take plenty of picture because that is what you will be doing the most of.

5  Thank cire101