“Good! If it was ever open...”
Review of Tortuga Tavern

Tortuga Tavern
Ranked #922 of 3,924 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Come to this Mexican restaurant for fast taco salads and burritos.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Love tacos...but can't figure out why this place isn't open regularly? It's a neat open-air restaurant with great food! A diamond of a place to eat!

2  Thank weluvtravlin5

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had no wait while we were there and found a table right away. The burritos were okay and there is a toppings bar as well. It was nice to be able to pick what you wanted on your burrito. I thought the cast members were very pleasant and I was happy to get out of the crowds. This is right by Pirates of the Caribbean in Adventureland.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Before my girlfriend and I order every meal, I ask the cast member regarding safe products for nut/peanut allergies. Our cast member was more than helpful and quickly requested a chef come talk to me (as is mandatory now, apparently). Unfortuntaly the chef took almost 20 minutes to come from the back to meet me, only to simply open a book and show me what I can and cant have. I'm not sure why I couldn't have done this myself. I can't begrudge their efforts to keep me safe, though.

Regardless, after the wait I was told that my burrito would be made by the chef personally. My girlfriend opted to have the nachos. Unfortunately, my order took an additional 15-20 minutes to prepare. Talk about the anti-thesis to "quick" service.

The burrito itself was pretty lackluster. It was huge in size but the rather unimaginative topping bar (Lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, salsa). The beef was pretty greasy.

The nachos had that nasty "nacho-cheez" type cheese, which I cant stand. My girlfriend didn't seem to care. The nacho portion was so-so. Small for big eaters, though.

For dessert, I had a "OMG It's gluten free" brownie (because nothing on the dessert menu I could have/sounded good). This was a poor choice. The brownie was pre-frozen, dried out and extremely oily.

Tl;dr: Did it once, won't return.

1  Thank K N
Reviewed December 29, 2012

They have decent burritos and taco salads, but what really made this place was the taco bar. They give you tortilla for the burrito with meat (I recommend the chicken), and then you can put as much cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and salsa as you want on it. Same for the taco salad. They also provide sour cream, which was a plus.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

The only thing I would change is adding melted cheese to the toppings bar here. And maybe be open more often. We love it.