“Great Location. Average to below average in room space”

Disney's BoardWalk Villas
Ranked #46 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Wisconsin
“Great Location. Average to below average in room space”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed during the week 8/16-8/23/09 and received a great package plus free dining which is a great deal but reserve months in advance for sit-downs or you're stuck with the lower tier of counter service, etc. If you're able to get a nice package The Boardwalk is a nice place to stay as it is accessable to Hollywood Studios & Epcott on foot. It's a 1st class facilty however the room space was a big disappointment esp. if you're getting a Villa Studio. The interior needs minor updating esp. given Boardwalk is a top tier Disney Resort. The staff (TJ) really pulled through for us during difficult times when to our suprise and disappointment were handed a handicap room with 2 children. Had we purchase this during peak season we'd be very unsatisfied at $450 plus per night!! Our other family members were staying @ All Star's and at half the price had an extra room and were more than satisfied. When you're out at the parks much of the day like at Disney the hotels & resorts seem trivial but the longer your stay the more you're going to want to hang around the resort. If you have a sizable party and little ones the pool is awesome but the rooms itself were small. Would recommend this to newlyweds or couples unless you're fortunate to score a great deal/package.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Korean first
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

We are Disney Vaction Club members and visit several resorts on the Disney property.
This was a disappointment. The room was not cleaned well upon arrival. The pool was ok, not the most exciting compared to other resorts. We probably will not return to this resort unless they do some major renovations on the rooms and common hallways.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

The biggest advantage we found while staying at the Boardwalk Villas was it's location near Epcot and Hollywood Studios. There is a ferry from the Boardwalk to both Epcot and Hollywood Sudios, but we found it was quicker to walk (5 minutes to Epcot, 15 minutes to Hollywood Studios). If it rains in the afternoon or if it is too hot, you can always walk back to your hotel room to relax and head back out in the evening. Buses are available to take you to The Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, the water parks, or Downtown Disney. If you'd rather have easy access to the Magic Kingdom, the resorts on the monorail may be a better choice.

There are some restaurants and shops along the Boardwalk, but it was relatively quite while we were there. The main pool has a slide for kids and is fairly large, but the hot tub was small.

We stayed in a two-bedroom villa that easily slept 6 adults. We had groceries delivered to the room so that we could eat some meals and snacks in the room rather than going out for every meal. We also took advantage of the Extra Magic Hours when certain parks are open late or early for Disney Resort guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

Me, wife, one 11 year old, 1 14 year old.
Got here Saturday, room not ready, wait for the room, call them on the special number to find if room was ready, when ready got our bags and went to the room, room was - bed not done, dirth bathroom, used towels on the floor, garbage still on the cans, used soap.... call them (SORRY SIR THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN), they gave us other room, walk all the way to the another room with all bags got there, soap used, towels on the floor, garabage can used.....Finally move to a decent clean room, about 2 hours later.
Sunday went to sleep 3AM, today 8AM, hammer noises on the top floor, all kind of working noises, We cannot sleep. Manager asks if that is a problem????!!!!!!!??!?!?!?!!?
Service is terrible, worst nightmare.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank w-tsc-a
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Location, location, location:
We are huge fans of Disney Hollywood Studios and Epcot, and we enjoyed the short walk between the Villas and these parks. (We would rather walk than deal with parking, or wait for a bus at the end of a long day. ) We liked being close to the restaurants and atmosphere of the Boardwalk as well.
The room:
My husband and 9 year old son stayed in a studio, and though not huge, we found it large enough for a family of 3. It was very clean and well tended.
The pool:
I'm not crazy about clowns, so I thought I might hate the pool area. However, the giant clown head didn't bother me. The staff at the pool was fun, and my son and I rode on the slide several times.
The vibe:
It somehow felt homey but elegant. The Disney magic was ever present.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
St. Augustine, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

First, the pros: It's beautiful, it's just a short walk to Epcot from here. That's it.

I booked a 3 night stay at the Florida resident rate directly through Disney which gave me a 36% discount off the regular rate. The villas are so costly that this was still an expensive stay even with the discount. I was at the hotel for a total of 7 hours before getting angry enough to check out at 11:30 PM and go to another hotel.
First, the parking....the hotel parking lot was designed for one purpose only...to get you to pay an extra $!0 per day on top of the expensive room rate so you don't have to walk quite a distance to the hotel's front entrance. Even the handicapped parking is far from the front entrance.
Upon arrival, I pulled up to the valet area where I was ignored so I asked if I could leave my car there until I checked in. A valet took my keys and told me I could do that.
At the check-in desk I encounter Cast Member - Raymond who although he's been working at this hotel for a while (as told to me by another Cast Member) knew very little information about it. I asked if I could upgrade to a room with a kitchenette because I hadn't realized until the night before my arrival, that the room I booked onilne only had a microwave and small refrigerator. I was unable to change my reservation online at that point. He told me that they did have a 1 bedroom villa with kitchenette available and after much fuss on the phone to see what the extra fee would be to upgrade, he told me it would be an extra $115 per night. In the few seconds that I was contemplating this, he received a phone call, and then told me he was sorry but he told me the wrong price and that it would be $238 per night to upgrade because they couldn't give me the FL resident discount rate at the hotel. (WHAT??!!) I started to get annoyed at this point and in
the few seconds that I was contemplating what to do, another Cast Member came out from behind a closed door, looked at me and said "I'm really sorry but we just sold the only 1 bedroom that was available while you were deciding what to do. NOW I was angry. I said "this is ridiculous, what is going on here? For medical reasons, I need the kitchenette to prepare my own food, I've been here less than an hour and I'm already very aggravated, perhaps I shouldn't stay here at all."
A manager that was nearby heard the conversation and whispered something to the Cast Member that came out to tell me the bad news. SUDDENLY....a one bedroom villa with kitchen became available and at the Florida resident discount rate. How about that!!?? Unfortunately this wasn't the end of my misery. I check in and return to the valet area to see about having my luggage taken to my room. A Cast member at the valet booth tells me to "talk to that guy over there" so I do and he walks over to my car with me when I realize I don't have my keys. I go back to the valet booth and they don't know where my keys are. They find them but by then the bellman that was going to help me had walked away from my car. Someone directs me to the bell stand just inside the entrance and I get help with my luggage. I tell the bellman that I'm going to park my car and meet him at my room.
This hotel is so large and built in such an odd way that it's difficult to navigate. Raymond gave me the wrong directions on how to get to my room and I quickly became very lost and unable to figure out how to get to where I was supposed to be so I called the front desk from my cell phone. Two cast members came to assist me and they said "this happens all the time here." Hmmmm.....if it happens all the time, don't you think they should do something about that?!
Finally both my luggage and I are in the room. I'm exhausted, it took over an hour to complete check in, park my car and find my room.
The room is beautiful and very spacious but that's all it is. There is advertising everywhere you look to join the Disney Vacation Club, including on the TV. And I do mean everywhere! The kitchen table had large stickers all over it with these ads and you see them throughout the hotel. I had difficulty finding a TV channel that was NOT advertising something Disney.
I went out for a while and when I returned to my room and attempted to use my laptop, I found a sign on the kitchen table that said to look for an ethernet cable in the closet (there was no cable) and that there was a $10 per 24 hours fee to use the service. I was enraged. This was the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed at and they were going to charge me to use the Internet? No they weren't as far as I was concerned. I called the front desk, reported that there was no ethernet cable and that I wished to have the fee for the Internet waived. I was told they "COULDN'T" do that so I asked to be connected to someone who could. I was told that the manager would call me back. About a half hour later, the manager called. He asked me:
1. "Why do you think the Internet should be free?"
2. After explaining that I've stayed at many lesser priced hotels that all had free Internet, usually WiFi, he said "Well if you stay at a Motel 6, they give you free Internet to get you to stay there." I've never stayed at a Motel 6 that was his assumption.
After arguing with him for a while and telling him that if he doesn't wave what would amount to $30 for Internet use during my stay, I was checking out immediately and never coming back. His reply was "well, I hate to put you out at 11:30 at night, is there anything else I can do for you? I replied "yes, you can let me use the Internet without charging me. His response was "I'm not WILLING to do that."
I quickly found a very lovely Holiday Inn Express on Palm Pkwy. in Lake Buena Vista for $85 per night offering free WiFi, free breakfast, very lovely, clean rooms and helpful management.
A few days later while investigating who at Disney I can report my horrible experience to, I found that the Boardwalk Hotel has free WiFi in the lobby and they have a business center. At NO TIME did anyone tell me that.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank MissMouse1928
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

We are timeshare owners with Disney Vacation Club (DVC) and this 9-night stay at Disney’s Boardwalk Villas (BWV) in July 2009 was our first visit to the resort. We were a family of 6 using our DVC points towards our stay in a two-bedroom villa. We are also timeshare owners with Marriott Ko Olina in Hawaii and so we were able to compare DVC with the Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando (which we once traded into for a stay). The assigned room was actually two adjoining units 2047 and 2049, located on the same level as the main lobby (a plus) and not a long walk from the elevators (a major plus). We used our DVC points towards a Boardwalk view.

CHECK IN

Staying on-site at Walt Disney World was the reason we joined DVC. By doing so, we took advantage of the complimentary roundtrip airport shuttle (Magical Express) and the early and late access to the four theme parks. We could have also opted for the Disney Dining Plan, but felt the price was too high for the way we would typically eat. We also took advantage of the recently released advance online check in service, so that getting our room keys was a breeze. Staff were all very courteous and welcoming.

We decided to use GardenGrocer.com for the purchase of breakfast foods we would prepare every morning in our unit, plus a case of bottled water and cases of sodas. They were excellent, the prices were fine, albeit a little high, and the groceries were delivered before our check-in and left with the Boardwalk Villas bell desk (who promptly delivered all of the items to our unit once we checked in).

WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE ROOM

Despite the fact that we were assigned a unit that was not what I had preferred and requested, we decided to stay put since we were eager to settle in. We do not need wheelchairs and this was our first stay in an ADA room. A wheelchair accessible room has a few advantages and disadvantages. Our primary disadvantage was that the shower floors were flush to the bathroom floors, causing a minor flooding when my DD took a shower the first night and did not realize the water was not all being directed down the drain. The secondary disadvantage was that the kitchen counter tops were not very deep (so as to be accessible from a wheelchair I suppose), so food preparation surfaces were very small. The refrigerator was also smaller so as to be wheelchair reachable. The advantages, however, outweighed the disadvantages. The primary advantages: wider doorways, a larger kitchen area, a very large balcony and a larger shower. Plus the master bedroom had a spacious walk in closet that a wheelchair could easily fit into, another plus. The showers also have rails to avoid any accidental slips.

WHAT WE LIKED

The theming of the BWV is wonderful and the lobby and public areas are nicely maintained. The theme is supposed to be a lighthearted 1920s beachside hotel theme and the light green and peach color scheme of the lobby follows into the corridors and units. If you are looking for a more contemporary styling, then you would be better off elsewhere.

The main portion of our unit contained a separate master bedroom/bath and a separate living room/kitchen/dining area. The master bedroom had a very comfortable king bed and the living room contained a queen sofa bed. The furnishings were adequate, not elegant or modern. Beds were extremely comfortable and our 2 bedroom unit would easily sleep 8. The master bath had a nice whirlpool tub. The unit also had a compact washer and dryer, which we used several times during our stay (although the dryer took forever to get our clothes dry). We cooked every morning and having the convenience of a kitchen was a money saver.

The adjoining unit was a lock-off studio. It contained a queen bed and a queen sofa bed. The studio also had a kitchenette with a mini-fridge, microwave and sink. The bath in the studio was also wheel chair accessible. Unfortunately, there was very little space in the studio to hang clothes (no closet and the armoire was already filled with an ironing board and vacuum cleaner).

BWV are ideally situated within walking distance to the Epcot and the Disney Hollywood Studios theme parks. There were boat launches to both theme parks as well, but using them ate up time because they can be slow. No problems using the free on-site Disney bus transportation either. The buses were running in 10-20 minute intervals to the Magic Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach from the BWV.

We used the fitness center nearly every night. It was equipped with the typical cardio machines and weight stations and was completely adequate for our need. The fitness center was clean and conveniently located from our unit. The “scary clown” pool was situated outside the fitness center and was nicely maintained. Wished we had more time to enjoy the pool.

Liked the kinetic activities and eating options that were part of the Boardwalk, especially in the early evenings. The BWV were also very convenient the restaurants of the Disney Beach Club, Disney Yacht Club, Westin Swan, and Sheraton Dolphin hotels.

There is a small market in the Screen Door gift shop on the Boardwalk for simple food and drink purchases. There is also a Hess Express located in the gas station directly across the street from the Boardwalk auto entrance. The Hess Express is good if you want to purchase cases of water, beer and alcohol, sodas, and a slightly larger variety of chips and junk food items that the Screen Door does not carry. The downside is that it requires a 15 minute walk to get there and then schlep your purchases back to your unit.

WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE

In my reservation with DVC Member Services, I had requested a unit on a high floor that was recently refurbished. Upon our check-in, we were assigned a low floor (2nd floor) wheelchair accessible unit that looked like it had its original furnishings and was never refurbished. So much for any pixie dust blowing our way on this visit.

The typical two bedroom DVC villa is significantly smaller than our Marriott Ko Olina villa or the Marriott Grande Vista villa in Orlando. The DVC villa was far less luxurious in the décor and furnishings as well. The main DVC advantage is the convenience to the theme parks without relying upon a car.

The units we were assigned were tired and drab looking and could definitely benefit from a soft goods refurbishment and repainting. Hallway carpets were no longer vibrant and were showing wear and tear. Again, I am contrasting the condition of the DVC units to the units managed by Marriott.

Our balcony was huge, but enclosed such that if one sat on a balcony chair one would see only a blank balcony wall instead of the lagoon and Boardwalk. Because we were on the 2nd floor, inconsiderate late night revelers made a lot of noise around 2 AM a couple nights during our stay.

We did not like the fact that housekeeping could charge extra for additional towels, shampoo, soap, etc. if we requested these before our “scheduled” tidy services in the middle of the week. Marriott would not have charged us.

While the on-site Disney buses to the theme parks were great, the buses to Downtown Disney would sometimes take up to 45 to 60 minutes one way, due to stops at other hotels and a roundabout route to get there, so plan accordingly or rent a car.

CONCLUSIONS

We would definitely stay at the BWV again in the future. There are rumors that the Villas will begin a soft goods refurbishment from August 2009 to January 2010. If true, then most of my negatives would be addressed. The convenience to two of the best theme parks is a major plus, along with all of the activities and eating options afforded by the Boardwalk and hotels around the lagoon. You are literally in the middle of the Disney World action and the hassle of renting a car, commuting and parking are avoided when staying on-site.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family