“We enjoyed it!”

Disney's BoardWalk Villas
Ranked #42 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Although our stay at the Boardwalk Villa's was not perfect, I enjoyed it. Our room was on the 5th floor, overlooking the pool. There were issues with the room immediately when we arrived. We could not open the door with one of the Magic Bands and the band had to be reset. The TV was not working and either was the AC but they were also taken care of. Check in was easy. We were near the elevator so that was convenient. I loved having the small fridge and toaster so we could make a quick breakfast in the AM before heading out. The location was perfect. We walked to Epcot several times and also took the boat. One morning, we took the boat to HS to take advantage of the Extra hours for guests staying on site and managed to get on 4 rides before the park opened to the public. It's true, there is no restaurant on site but the Boardwalk has quite a few options. The Boardwalk Bakery had amazing baked goods that we took back to the room for breakfast. There is a candy shop that sold the most amazing chocolate covered almonds and raisins I have ever had. The General Store is also quite useful for breakfast stuff. We also had dinner at the Yacht Club one night so taking the boat to that was very easy. The best part about the Boardwalk Villas was it felt cozy to me. My kids enjoyed the pool quite a bit. I would stay here again although my family has expressed interest in trying other Disney properties. You cannot beat the Boardwalk's location to Epcot and HS and this was the primary reason I chose it. I am giving it 4 stars because of the issues we had and I agree that it can use some freshening up. The thermostat used to control the temperature must be the original one that was installed. Also, the staff were super friendly every single time we encountered them.

2  Thank ldepmom

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Wife and I stayed here for the first time on March 16. Just an overnight stay after a short cruise. I was very impressed. We arrived around noon from the coast and we're surprised to find out our room was ready. Bell service met us a few steps off the bus, grabbed our bags and escorted us to a staff member who was waiting with our room info. The hotel lobby and grounds are beautiful. It really is very well laid out with easy access to the pool and adjoining shops. After dropping our stuff in the room, we took a stroll through the shops on the Boardwalk very enjoyable. We stayed at Beach Club Villas after last year's cruise and were not as impressed. We'll be staying at Boardwalk again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ron F
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I can't say enough good things about our stay at Disney. The Boardwalk Resort was perfect - we walked to both Epcot and Hollywood Studio parks. (Location is Everything!) Although we had a car, we never used it. The buses worked perfectly for getting back and forth from Downtown Disney and the Magic Kingdom. My teenagers enjoyed both pools at the Boardwalk. I would highly recommend for families with older kids. AAA was very helpful in getting us a good price as well. We'd definitely would stay there again.

1  Thank RegTerry
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is a beautiful resort from the moment you enter the lobby you are treated like royalty- or so you think at first. My children and I booked this resort for 2 days for spring break. I wanted to take them somewhere really special and they love Disney World resorts. This resort is considered a deluxe resort and even as a Florida Resident we paid 315.00- 350.00 per night.
That does not include Tax, Parking and Tipping the bellhop, which you will want to use if you have luggage and your room is in another building. They also give you helpful tips on how to get around and where to go.
Our room was on the ground floor in a different building from the main lobby. Lots of steps and elevators and I would have had a hard time finding it if our Bell hop did not take us to the room.
The room was nicely decorated and I am a decorator so I am really picky about that. It had 2 queen beds and a sleeper style sofa so it was big enough for us. We had a refridgerator and coffee maker, which at Disney I have only seen the refridgerator in the deluxe resorts.
The pool was our first stop and the slide looks really great on line but for older children, teenagers, It is a big disappointment. We visited Typhoon Lagoon while we were there so the pool was a small part of priorities. By the way Typhoon Lagoon is so much fun and it is about $50.00 per person compared to the almost $100.00 per person in the other parks.
The board walk are was wonderful. It has shops and places to eat. We ate at the Pizza window which was great for kids and the ESPN resturant which was good too. Get there early because they do not take reservations and it always seems busy. You can purchase anything you forgot in the shops- just expect to pay more because after all you are at Disney World.
The biggest draw back for us was the second night after visiting Typhoon Lagoon we went to bed by 10:30. We were sound asleep when my son jumped up from his bed and screamed something was crawling on him. Yes- a cockroach was in his bed- I tried to kill it but it got away. YUCK!!! I live in Florida so I am familar with the little pests but again- not in a Disney Deluxe resort. I called the front desk and all they did was offer to send an exterminator to our room. I hung up and headed straight down to speak to someone in person. They apologized and offered to move us to another room at 11pm. I agreed and then they gave me a $30.00 credit for my inconvience. I was a upset but I decided to discuss it with someone in the morning because I was frazzled. The moved us to a nice room that overlooked the water.- which would have been nice if we were not leaving first thing in the morning. When I checked out I questioned the $30.00 credit and it was not even my account. I had to wait for the person checking out to approve it with his manager. I told him it would be better if it was a bigger discount due to the fact we had to move so late. The refused. We spent thousands of dollars between the resort, the parks , food and the gift shops at Disney World and they offered me $30.00- which did not even cover the tips.
I will say that we met a wonderful lady named Tara, who checked us in the first day. She was a delight and she spoiled my children by sending them cookies at night. I make sure that we give credit where credit was due and she was wonderful. If you stay at this resort hopefully you will come across her and her wonderful smile.
The grounds are wonderful and the people are very nice. That one little issue put a damper on our trip.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room on the first floor- bugs are more likely to visit you late at night. Ask for...
2  Thank designer109
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We spent 2 weeks at Disney Orlando. One week at Saratoga Springs Resort and one week at Boardwalk. We preferred Boardwalk. It seems closer to the park action and it is such a nice quaint setting. However, this is just personal preference. Both have the same sorts of amenities or lack thereof. Disney does NOT clean the rooms all week! Tuesdays you get clean towels. That is it. Only Disney could get away with this. Units are very clean but seriously need updating. The couch was from the 1980's as was the decor. All was too old for the price. Our view was overlooking a construction sight on the 1st floor. So not much here to brag about. They would have moved us but we thought "so what" we won't be in the room for that long of a time. We had a one bedroom unit and size wise, it was more than adequate. Each room has its own washer and dryer which I love.
One thing worth mentioning is that the handicapped service at Disney is FANTASTIC! It has free valet parking for handicapped individuals (you must bring your state sticker/card/window hanger). Since Boardwalk has such tight parking that is far from the rooms, I thought this was a godsend for my handicapped husband. Boardwalk is about a 2 block walk to a back Epcot entrance or there is a boat stop right outside the complex which takes you to Epcot, Wild Kingdom or the resorts across the lagoon from Boardwalk. In addition the free Disney bus service is nearby and just a great way to go. It's clean, easy to use, very regular and goes to all parks and resorts. Food wise, there is no restaurant place to eat in the Boardwalk villas. So you must travel or use the very limited kitchen and cook your own. We got the regular meal plan so we did very little cooking in the villa. Instead we made reservations via our iphone for sit down meals at various other resorts and ate most fast food meals at the Boardwalk Bakery which we found to be one of the best deals at Disney. We found that eating at the resorts was much better than eating at the parks. The quality and quantity of food is better at the resorts with less horrible crowds and some places to sit. In addition, the meal plan is the only way to go. Food is vastly overpriced anywhere and with the regular meal plan we had our fill. Often it was quite good. We found that buffets were a cut above the horrible, carb laden, fat filled steam table buffets we have at home. Many resort restaurants have themes and the food was often a little different experience which we like. We didn't feel that the restaurants which "cost" 2 sit down meal credits were necessarily worth it. There are resorts for one credit that are fairly good. Living on the Disney Boardwalk is a pleasant experience itself. There are benches all over and it is a lot of fun to sit, relax and enjoy people watching. There are a couple of sit down restaurants along the boardwalk that you can walk to but when it is raining, its not fun. We enjoyed the ice cream and candy shop on the boardwalk and sat out people watching or relaxing after returning from the parks. This would not be a good place for young kids who could not spend all day at the parks. There was little for small kids to do and I did not see any playground equipment. We had the Magic Bands and the concept is just great. It is your room key, meal counter, park ticket, parking entrance checker etc. Just about anything you do is recorded on the band. Sometimes the bands did not work and that held us up. However, Disney folks who are arguably the most polite folks in the country quickly helped us. We saw a TV ad for the bands and it made us laugh to see how easily the bands worked on TV. Reality is more like trying them 3-4 times, contorting your wrist to connect and finally ripping the thing off your arm and sticking it up to the receiver. I thought that the same company who rolled out the Affordable Care Act, developed the bands (heehee)! Anyway, it was magic when they worked.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sissy1947
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My wife and I spent three nights here. We've stayed at several different hotels on property over the years and this is the first time we left knowing that we would never return to this particular one -- three nights with three different rooms.

Check-in went smoothly and we got a room at the far end next to a pool undergoing maintenance. Okay, we dropped our bags and headed off to the parks thinking work would stop by 5-ish. Returned at 9:30pm to find generators & lights would be running all night -- no advance notice of this! Hotel was fully booked so we couldn't change rooms till the next day. Returned at lunch the following day to change rooms - got a room at the other far end of the hotel. New room seemed quite warm, called maintenance to check it (AC broken) and 1.5 hours later we were headed to yet another room. Mind you, at this point we've wasted a 3-4 hours of our limited vacation time getting our room settled. Finally got to unpack and headed back to parks. Worst part - never once did a Disney employee apologize for the inconvenience this caused us! You can definitely call this a non-Magical experience.

As for the hotel, we saw little difference between this Deluxe Resort and some of the Moderate Resorts we've stayed in - room for room. In our opinion, the large price differential between a Deluxe & a Moderate Resort simply is not worth it. We recommend you save some money by not staying in a Deluxe Resort. The only advantage we saw to this Deluxe Resort was its close proximity to the parks - period, end of story. We will be back for future visits to the parks but will not bother with the Boardwalk Villas or another Deluxe Resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ken_Porter
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The hotel is showing its age a little, but I think I only notice this because my family stays here every other year. The one bedroom has a spa tub and separate shower/toilet area. The studio is large with a tiny kitchen area and a basic bathroom with a separate vanity area. Many little conveniences.
The service is always friendly and the boardwalk feel is charming. At night there are little performances, and kiosks selling typical boardwalk fare. The restaurants on the boardwalk are great and ESPN club gets packed. Jellyrolls is right outside and offers a dialing piano bar. Very cool when all the Disney employees are there on a night off, it gets lively!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family