“Boardwalk”

Disney's BoardWalk Villas
Ranked #49 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great hotel! Great location. Pool and slide were great. Bottom of pool was rough on the feet. Beautiful surroundings. I slept on the pull out sofa all week and it wasn't too bad.
Only downfall, the ride between downtown disney and boardwalk took forever.

I think we will try a different property next time we go. I feel the rooms at BLT are designed better. The bathrooms at boardwalk are small.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mxpray
Write a ReviewReviews (1,326)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was very impressed with Boardwalk Villas upon arrival. My infant daughter and I were met at the door by a cast member, who got us our keys and welcomed us. I had been given a room "near transportation", and there was a crib (as requested) in the room when we arrived. I don't know if I would call the room "near transportation", but it was certainly closer than some of the rooms at Boardwalk. There were three elevators (all in one spot), and that was it. It would be a very long walk for people on the far end of the resort. Also, many times, I had to wait with many others for a "turn" on the elevator. I was on the fifth floor with a stroller, so climbing the stairs was not an option.

I stayed in a studio room overlooking the front of the resort. There was a balcony, where you could see the fireworks from EPCOT. The room itself was nice, but much older and used than the other Disney resorts I have stayed in (Pop, WL, AKV, SSV, Campground, Aulani). The bathtub was pretty old looking and stained, and the drain was plugged. The floor of the tub was uneven, which could have been a problem with someone with a disability, or someone older. I requested that the drain be fixed, but it took all day for them to get around to it. Also, there was a very foul odor under the sink in the kitchenette-smelled like a dead animal or something. I told them about this, but it was never fixed. I had to just resort to not using the trash (or anything else) under the sink. As long as the door was shut, it wasn't as overpowering.

The bed was comfortable, but still used old-fashioned bed spreads instead of the more typical duvet covers. The fold out couch was in bad shape, stained, and the cushions were a bit worn. The TV was newer, a small flat screen with a DVD player. I was happy to see that Disney now offers all the typical channels, not just the ones affiliated with Disney. For example, they didn't get AMC or TNT at one point in time.

The pool area was convenient, and the main pool was designed nicely. It would have been better to have zero entry, though. It was a bit smaller than typical Disney pool areas, but the clown slide would be a big hit with kids. There is also a small pool nearby that is a "quiet area". There is a bar that serves limited food by the larger pool, and there is a community center by the smaller one. The community center was nice, with movies, video games, activities, and free rental dvd's.

The boardwalk area was the best thing about the resort. It has many nice stores and restaurants, as well as live entertainment. It is lit up nicely at night. You can take a boat to either Hollywood Studios or EPCOT from the boardwalk area, or it is a reasonable walk as well. You can walk along the river, as well.

If you buy a resort mug, be aware that the only refill station is way on the other end of the boardwalk area, in a bakery. It is at least a 10 minute walk each way from the pool area or the entrance to the hotel and one bank of elevators.

The bus system to the other theme parks is, honestly, a disaster. Boardwalk is on the same bus line as Swan and Dolphin, so the busses are always jammed with people, especially coming back from theme parks. Also, while I was here (and I understand this is not uncommon), there were several huge Brazilian and Mexican high school groups (literally several hundred of them all at once) staying at Swan/Dolphin. They often would take the resort busses in huge (again, several hundred at a rip) groups, not only filling up the busses and making everyone else wait, but also pushing and shoving and being really loud. On one occasion, at about 11pm, it took me over two hours to get back to Boardwalk from MK because of their groups. The least Disney could do is provide more busses, or provide busses specifically to accommodate these kids when there are that many of them. I would imagine Disney is getting enough money from them to pull this off...

I have used the Magical Express a number of times in the past without any problems. On this trip, I am returning to Alaska at 7am the day after I check out (I check out on 7/26 and my flight is in the a.m. on 7/27). As I am traveling with a special needs infant, staying in the airport overnight would be a real issue. I discussed this with Disney both before I left to come to Boardwalk and when I arrived. Both times, I was assured that it didn't matter that I would be using the transfer voucher on the 27th or the 26th. So, when I called to make final arrangements to leave the resort around 3am on the 27th, I was told I couldn't do this. My plans included going to MK during the day on the 26th, then going to DD for a movie and dinner, then returning to Boardwalk to take the Magical Express back to the airport in the wee morning hours, thus leaving me less time to hang around the airport with an infant.

Boardwalk staff informed me that, regardless of what I'd been told, I could only use the voucher on the 26th. I asked why, and was given no valid reason. I pointed out that a transfer to the airport was a transfer to the airport, regardless of which day I used it. I asked to speak to a manager, and was told that "they would tell you the same thing". At this point, I was pretty annoyed, and asked what would be the story if I gave up the night I had remaining (i.e. the 25th) without a refund, and stayed in the airport hotel for two nights instead, on my dime-would they allow me to take the Magical Express on the 25th, and they said that would be just fine. None of this makes much sense to me. If I had spent the extra time remaining between check-out and returning to the airport, I would be spending MORE money at Disney, not less.

Overall, given the attitude I got regarding the Magical Express, the dated rooms, and the failure to fix up the issues in the room in a timely fashion, I would have to give lower marks than I would have otherwise. I was much happier last year at the Animal Kingdom Villas. The service was excellent and the resort was much newer.

Room Tip: Unless you want to walk a lot, ask for a room near transportation.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jenncsw
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We are DVC members and decided to stay at a different resort (than home) because family had recommended the Boardwalk. Well, I don't like it. much The room was wonderful, the view was great from our room overlooking the garden. The entertainment at night was great. The walk to Epcot was convenient. The Ferry to Hollywood Studios was great (except that we couldn't take it back and had to wait over 30 mins to get a bus back due to thunderstorms). So what is bad about it? The drink service for the refillable cups stinks...have to walk to the Bakery--not convenient--they should have one by the pool. It was crowded -- had to wait for elevators multiple times. My husband and I didn't even go to the pool -- had the kids swim while we waited for our room (that we didn't get the text that it was ready like they said we would). It was very crowded except early mornings. The Boardwalk gets so crowded we didn't do a surrey ride like we had wanted to. So despite the many amenities, it isn't that convenient to do many of them. I think it's better for older guests who want the entertainment. I will stick with Saratoga Springs. It is less crowded because it is so spread out, more pool selection and buses run regularly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank April L
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just spent 8 relaxing nights here. This hotel is designed around the beauty of early 1900s Atlantic City. It is in a great location. You can walk or boat to Disney Studios and Epcot. Many restaurants on the boardwalk
and close by Yacht and Beach Club. The only bad thing I can say is that quick service food is very limited here.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Love love love the pool. Even I got on the slide and loved it. My kids had a blast here. Almost too bad that we had park tickets. We would have been happy just staying on this property enjoying the property. It is close proximity to Epcot and Hollywood. You have to ride a boat or walk to Epcot. The boardwalk is so much fun. My kids love the entertainers the with magic and comedy. As for the rooms, some need updating. Ours was far from the elevator. Best way to get what you want is to arrive early. Top floors have obstructed views because the trees have gotten tall. The bottom floors would be best for easy access to pool. Overall, it was a nice stay. The housekeeping staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank thejettsetters
Reviewed July 16, 2013

For the money you pay stay at the Swan & Dolphin. The rooms here are nice. We spent our honeymoon in a 1-bedroom suite. The whirlpool tub was smaller than my bathtub at home. The rooms were not the cleanest. The dishes they include were old and dusty. The balcony is nice to sit on but only room for 2 people to sit, no lounging there. The waterway boats beep their horns at all hours. Their are no restaurants inside, so in bad weather you must venture out to get anything. Boardwalk pizza and the Bakery are the only things worth while to eat at. The few signature restaurants are the lesser of the resort, and the others are the brewery which inst great and ESPN which is loud and there is very slow table turnover. The location is the only great thing about this resort. you are very close to two parks, the shuttle service is slow being that it stops at 4 other resorts before this one. We likely will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 136LEOW
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I grew up going to Disney World every summer with my family. In college I worked there. I've stayed in nearly every hotel on property but this one is my favorite... for the location, the nightlife and overall atmosphere. This hotel is located in the EPCOT resort area, overlooking a beautiful lake/bay with views of the Yacht & Beach Club across the water. The 3 resorts are connected by a boardwalk that runs around the whole body of water. The same boardwalk/walkway also connects to a small "private" back entrance to EPCOT making it incredibly easy to get in and out of that park with no lines. The hotel is also within walking distance of the Disney Studios. You can take a boat or bus but why bother with the crowds if you can walk there in 10-15 minutes! If you're not in a rush to get to the Magic Kingdom you can walk through Epcot via the Hotel's back entrance to the park and then take the monorail over. Otherwise, the bus system to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom is super easy to use. Perhaps my favorite thing about this hotel is the atmosphere and things there are to do around the Boardwalk. When the parks are closed and its time to go back to the hotel you're not always ready to call it a day. This is the only hotel that boasts late-night bar options including the ESPN zone and (my favorite) Jellyrolls - a dueling piano bar! There is also Atlantic Dance hall if you're ready to get your groove on. Restaurant options are great - ESPN zone, Flying Fish (great seafood!), Kouzina (loved it!) and small quick service options for baked goods and pizza. By far my favorite place on property... can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms surrounding the courtyard area on the Boardwalk have HUGE balcony's. Also recommend rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family