“Great location, but needs a facelift!”

Disney's BoardWalk Villas
Ranked #46 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Peekskill, New York
“Great location, but needs a facelift!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

As Disney Vacation Club members we have stayed in quite a few DVC resorts. The Boardwalk Resort's location is what really sells it. It is in walking distance to both EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. There is even a free boat that you could take if you didn't feel like walking. The atmosphere surrounding the resort is clean and fun with plenty to do and some great choices for food.

However, once you enter the hallways to go to the Villas, this is where you start to see the age of the resort. The carpeting is in need of changing. I did, however see engineering repainting the hallways so hopefully carpets are next on the list.

The room we were in was also in need of some updating. The end table had some scratches on it, there was also something hard "under" the rug in the center of the room. Other than that, there was just some evidence of some sloppy housekeeping. personally, when a room is cleaned there should not be any reason for a hair to be on the sink or counter. The floor looked like it has only been vacuumed in the center. the area where the rug meets the wall was grey with dust in some spots. Totally unnecessary and inexcusable.

So, as many have stated, the view and location are great, the resort just needs to step it up a bit with basic cleaning and housekeeping duties.

Room Tip: Unless you want a LONG walk in the AM for coffee/breakfast, request a room close to the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Korean first
heart of it all
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

There are many things I do love about this resort, but many things I do not. This was not my first stay, but the results were typical of my previous stays there.

We had a 2 bedroom standard view villa. Our location was decent. Not too far from the elevators but at least not right on top of where the airline check in was. Our view was of the loading/unloading area and some of grass.

The size of the villa was nice. Not as large as Old Key West or Bay Lake Tower even, but still nice. The kitchen area is small and hard to navigate if more than one person wants to get something. The bathroom layout has never been a favorite of mine, particularly in the middle of the night. There are honestly too many light switches in this place and it is really hard to figure out what goes to which light/fan.

The a/c in this room was horrible honestly. We had it cranked all the way up (high fan and coldest it can be) yet the room was still humid feeling. We didn't even have really high temps the week we were there - only one day was it 90 and the rest were low to mid 80s.

Service has always been my low spot for this resort. I rated it average over all because the staff in the community hall and with the other activities were wonderful. The staff at check in is always lacking. They really need to take a cue from the valet/drop off area. I do realize that check in is technically 4pm but I have never had to wait so long for a room as I have with the Boardwalk. We got our room just before 4 and were notified via text and when I went to the room, they were still cleaning. Poor system there when it works.

The outside staff was wonderful though. When we pulled up, there was a man to open my door and greet me by name. He walked me up to another staff member who welcomed me home by name and walked me to check in. He was super polite and was trying to get the staff to find a room as quickly as possible knowing I've had to wait as late as 6pm for a room. The check in staff just gave me a look and was rather rude in saying that check in is 4pm. I had said I was aware so her comment was not welcomed by me.

As a comparison asking for a room as soon as possible at Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Tower and Old Key West has always been pleasant. If the room wasn't ready, it only took a few hours past checking in to get a room. We checked in at 9am this time and still had to wait until almost 4. That just seems odd that other resorts do it well but this one does not.

The room was relatively clean. I could see piles of dust on corners and the like. So it is surface clean, but not spot clean.

The location is great though. If you miss a boat going to Disney Studios, it is an easy walk to the Swan and Dolphin where you can catch the boat back. We also get off at that stop to save time walking to our room. The walk to Epcot is quick and having access to the food and shopping options at the Yacht & Beach Club as well as Swan & Dolphin is wonderful.

The food choices here aren't all that great though. The counter service options are lacking. There isn't one location that has a good selection of food. It seems there are only hot options and cold options separately which is not the best to me.

The pool is okay but dated. If you have a child learning to swim, the pool options here are limited compared to every other resort. The staff again were wonderful though and I appreciated them a lot.

I would definitely stay here again in a standard view if looking for a good value of points. If not a standard view, I do not think the points/price is worth it.

3 Thank helenabear
Tinley Park, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We just got back from our Disney trip. This was the second time we stayed at this location. We stayed in a studio room. We had 3 adults and felt that there was a fair amount of room. My only complaint is that the queen sized bed was up against the wall on 1 side. Other than that, I have no complaints. We like the location because you are within walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios. We did the on-line check in which I don't think saved us any time because we still had to wait in line. We would definetely stay here again.

Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

We were traveling with our daughter and her best friends and our two rooms at Boardwalk Villas (a studio and an adjoining one-bedroom suite) were perfect for our needs. The one-bedroom has a small but full kitchen, a washer-dryer and a living room that was perfect for group breakfasts and one evening with pizza and Disney movies on the DVD player (DVD player provided -- we brought our own movies). We found the rooms to be well organized for our purposes, and they were clean and well maintained. The only downsides were the very uncooperative toilet in the studio room, which kept clogging, and the distance from the lobby/access to the Boardwalk. We were literally in the most distant room from the center of the hotel. Not really a problem for us, but be aware that this is a large hotel (as is the case with many of the Disney properties) if walking is difficult for anyone in your group. But those were small inconveniences -- the Boardwalk is a great location within walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood Studios (and also to Yacht Club and Beach Club hotels) and we loved having a kitchen and washer/dryer. Disney was offering a good promotion on these rooms when we booked and given similar pricing, we would definitely stay here again.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I took my kids to the Boardwalk Villas this weekend for my son's birthday. We have three children and stayed in a 1BR villa located on the first floor with a pool view. We fit in the 1BR with ease as I am always amazed by the space a disney 1BR has. The location was absolutely the best! We have stayed at many of the Disney properties and this was one of our absolute favorites. If you go to this resort, I recommend to get a room on the first floor as you will be a short walk to to be on the boardwalk and/or the pool in no time. The resort has a less than than 10 minute walk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios, and you can also visit both via boat ride. I recommend using the Swan and Dolphin dock if you are going to Hollywood Studios, and use the Boardwalk dock if you are going to Epcot. You have access to many places to eat if you are staying here as it is on the Boardwalk. Also, you can walk over to the Yacht and Beach club for their restaurants as well. We can't say enough about this resort. The room was clean, the location was perfect, and we absolutely loved the pool (my kids loved the enormous slide). Your car is a bit of a hike from the room if you have a car, and this resort is a bit pricey due to its location. If you are visiting Epcot or the Studios for many of your park visits, I would stay here because you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the First Floor to save time on walk to the pool and/or Boardwalk
1 Thank Kdawg282
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

We checked in on a Friday and a lady was waiting for us at the Valet parking and knew who we were and welcomed us. It was a really nice gesture. We rented a 1 bedroom villa via our DVC points. The room smelled like a dirty diaper and the carpet was extremely dirty (our feet were black if we did not have shoes on). The furniture was in poor shape as well. I called the housekeeping and they sent someone immediately to spray the room for the odor. The next day they gave us a complimentary cleaning (daily cleanings are not included if you are a DVC member). They also replace the scratched up coffee table. They were unable to replace any of the other furniture due to low inventory. They were nice enough to give us back one night of points for the inconvenience. All of the other Disney Resorts we have stayed at were in great shape and never did we encounter such poor conditions. The pool is also a bit outdated. I think overall the hotel needs a complete makeover. The boardwalk is really nice and there is a lot of places to eat. Another plus is that you can walk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. The location is great but the facility is not. The children's community center is one of the best I have been to out of all of the DVC facilities. I will give them credit for the outstanding DVC activities (pool party, marsh mellow roasting & the movie rentals). If you do not have high standards for room condition, then I would say stay here. Otherwise seek out the Beach & Yacht Club if you want this location.

Room Tip: Make sure to not get a room right over the main pool. Very noisy. A room overlooking the serenity...
3 Thank JAXTRAVELLINGMOM
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at Boardwalk Villas for the final two nights of a seven-night vacation to Walt Disney World. Full disclosure, the room was booked through family so the cost of the resort did not weigh on my experience. Still, I felt that Boardwalk Villas was a fantastic resort in a great location that delivered on the level comfort and amenity that I would expect from a Disney property of this caliber. Our two-bedroom suite had plenty of space for our party of four adults and two children. The beds were very comfortable and we enjoyed the artwork, decor, and themeing of the resort which made you feel like you were at a turn-of-the-century coastal resort. By far, the best part of Boardwalk Villas for us was the location. You felt like you were in the middle of everything. The Boardwalk entertainment area is just outside with great little eateries. Epcot is a brief boat ride or walk away. Disney's Hollywood Studios can also be reached by boat, or is a quick car/bus ride across the street. You can also take advantage of the proximity to the Yacht and Beach Club Resort, just across the lake, and the restaurants and amenities they have to offer. Were lucky enough to have a room on the top floor that faced the lake and had a (albeit obstructed) view of the Illuminations fireworks show at Epcot in the evenings. If you get the chance, stop by the Boardwalk Bakery for a quick breakfast or late night snack. You won't be disappointed.

My one criticism is the required walking. Our room was about two-thirds down the length of the resort and was quite a trek from the lone block of elevators. Unfortunately, this was on top of a lengthy walk from the self-park lot to the lobby. Still, you're at Disney World, you're visiting theme parks, we were prepared to have to do a lot of walking.

Overall a simply fantastic property that I would love to be able to stay at again in the future.

Room Tip: I think having a room that overlooked the Boardwalk, the lake, and Epcot really added to the experie...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family