“Best Meal of the Holiday”
Review of Ohana

Ohana
Ranked #100 of 3,924 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American, Asian, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 'Ohana restaurant in Disney's Polynesian Resort offers a Character Dining breakfast and a Polynesian-inspired dinner menu. Both meals are served family-style—quite fitting since 'ohana means family in the Hawaiian language.Character Dining at BreakfastJoin Lilo and Stitch for 'Ohana's Best Friends Breakfast! Feel like you're a part of their intergalactic 'ohana when you join them for an American breakfast influenced by the exotic tastes of the Polynesian islands. Menu selections include scrambled eggs, Island-style fried potatoes, Hawaiian pork sausages, smoked bacon and a variety of fresh fruits and breads.Family-Style Polynesian DinnerWhen the doors open for dinner, the bellow of conch shells welcome you to 'Ohana. Adding to the island ambiance are tikis, storytellers and coconut races, in which children sweep coconuts with brooms across the hardwood floor down the center of the restaurant. The family fun continues as everyone is encouraged to play with hula hoops and dance to island music.The 'Ohana servers add to the festive atmosphere, as they dash between tikis and tropical greenery to bring plates of Polynesian specialties to your table. Choose from skewers roasted over an expansive 18-foot oak fire pit, and side dishes include stir-fried vegetables, fried dumplings, lo mein noodles and a salad starter.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We made a reservation at Ohana 180 days before our trip in May 2012 and were so glad that we did! There were people waiting for a table at 8pm when we got there and the wait for a table was about an hour long, so I really recommend booking first.

Ohana is set on the second floor of the very beautiful Polynesian resort. Upon arrival we were given a pager and after 20 minutes We were then shown to a table in the centre of the restaurant (table 42) with Cinderella's Castle visible through the huge windows in the distance. We were told we'd have a good view of the fireworks later on.

The restaurant is amazing with the huge wood grill stove, the kind of cabana ceiling over our table complete with turtles and dolphins and the tiki-style pillars and foliage all around the room. It had such a lovely, calming atmosphere.

Our server, Houda, looked rushed off her feet, but we were never kept waiting throughout the whole meal. She explained how everything worked; we were their guests and would be waited on all night and could have as much of everything as we wanted. She also called us Cousins. She gave us a platter of Pineapple-Coconut Bread which was out of this world!

We ordered drinks and they were brought over followed by some mixed greens with mango-poppy seed dressing, honey coriander chicken wings and pork fried dumplings. I couldn't get enough of the wings and dumplings. They were delicious! Just writing about them is making my mouth water!

After a while we were asked if we wanted more so we asked for more chicken wings and dumplings and then she came around with skewers loaded with oak grilled chicken, barbecued pork loin, marinated sirloin steak and grilled peel - n - eat Shrimp. It was all so delicious! If there was one thing I could have changed it would be that the shrimp was already peeled as I find it so fiddly and it takes the enjoyment out of the food a bit. I do love my shrimp! Maybe i'm just lazy. The steak was also a bit too peppery for me but the rest of my family loved it.

As we waited for our dinner to go down, a lady came out in Hawaiian dress and was talking to a couple on the next table to us whose Anniversary it was. She got all the kids up and they paraded around the restaurant shaking maracas and were each given a lei. Then the couple joined in at the end and did the limbo.

We all managed to force down a bit of warm banana bread pudding for dessert which again, was delicious! I did leave quite a bit though.

Most of the tables were emptying out now and it was almost time for the fireworks so we asked for the check. We didn't have to pay for our daughter as she was under 3. We were charged for 6 adult meals and it came to $246.44 which included 18% gratuity as we were a party of 6 ($35.63) and $12.87 tax. So it roughly worked out $41 (£27) each. It was a great meal and a fantastic atmosphere. I couldn't fault anything and have put it on my list of places to eat again for our next trip.

We went outside onto the Polynesian Resort's beach to watch the Wishes fireworks. The music is piped onto the beach and it made a lovely end to the evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,395)

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We ate breakfast at this hotel restaurant. We had been told how good the food was and we were not disappointed. They bring you family servings of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuts, mickey waffles, seasoned potato wedges. The eggs were great. My wife 95lb wife ate like 15 waffles they were so good. Every 30 minutes or so they also do a parade with the characters and kids. It really was one of the best meals at Disney.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

but make reservations in advance.... this is a well sought after disney restaurant and as it should be. the staff is friendly and helpful, and continually bring you food and beverage. live music is being played at all times and the atmosphere is relaxing. the shrimps were perfect... the beef done to perfection... both pork and chicken were kinda over cooked but some weren't .... they have two dipping sauces for both of the above and it made up for any short comings. dessert was to die for .... but I'm giving too much away.... this is definetly a family restaurant and disney has done well with this one.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was my third time going to OHana for dinner. My family and I made a reservation for 4 adults around 8:30 but it took at least 45 minutes to be seated as there were no empty tables because of the firework show going on from the Magic Kingdom. When we finally were seated we were greeted by a slightly irritated, and ready to go home "Cousin". I thought that maybe he was just tired and had a long night so I cut him some slack, but it seemed like whenever he asked us if we needed anything and we said yes he would give us attitude, and then walk off. I felt very irritated at this point, being that I only had pot stickers and noodles at this point, but then when he finally came around with the meat it was as if he was a completely different person. He was being so nice and attentive, and when my sister asked for more peanut sauce he didn't just come back with a little cup, he had it put in a larger bowl for us. As for the food, the meat is my favorite part, especially the pork. I have never had a bad experience with the meat being too dry or over cooked. It's always tender and very mouthwatering. If anything, the steak could have been well done as it was a little too rare for my preference, but to each their own right? When it came time to dessert I was already too full for anything else (also I'm not a fan of bread pudding in general) so we just asked for our check. When he came back with that he had also brought with him 4 cupcakes, which I thought was a really sweet gesture. At the end of the night I always leave full and satisfied and I plan on revisiting many years down the road. If anything make sure you don't reserve a table the same time fireworks are going off, it will probably save you some wait time.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Ate there on Monday, and sorry that we did. We had read and heard rave reviews, including here. We had a 25 minute wait past our ADR time for a party of 5 (not unusual), and were seated in what I'd call the back-side of the restaurant, near the kitchen. Again, not a crisis had everything else gone even moderately well. From the start, our service was not good. There was no mention of children's items available until we saw them being served to another table and asked. I guess we should have considered our "cousin" to be of the long-lost cousin variety. Drinks easily took 20 minutes. Glasses sat empty for ages. Salad and apps were served quickly and were fine (but the salad dressing was nearly undetectable), and shrimp followed immediately afterwards. Then it began... the wait... easily 35+ minutes before we saw any other form of protein, by which point the veggies and noodles were long cold (and no offer of replacement). When it arrived, the chicken was moist, but the pork and steak were both over-seasoned and overcooked. We were not checked on to see if we wanted or needed anything else. To remove our plates, the waitress stacked all of them on our table (from all five seats) like one would at a diner, scraping off food remains and slopping together our dirty utensils. Not what I expected here, at this price point. After another 15+ minute wait dessert appeared, but there was no inquiry about coffee or anything else, and a request for a decaf went unanswered until we stopped another "cousin" to ask for some help.
I have long given up on hoping for anything more than nicely staged mediocrity at most Disney restaurants, but I have to say that based on this one experience I am stunned at the kudos that O'Hana earns. Now I'm torn... do we give it another go and expect something different (and are we throwing good money after bad if we do), or just move on to something else? If it was clear that this was just a bad experience with one "Cousin", it would be an easy answer, but our experience seemed to also reflect on some greater problems than those caused by one server.

1  Thank copswifetobe