“Average hotel - avoid their car rental desk like the plague”

Wingate by Wyndham Orlando International Airport
Ranked #97 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
pigletpink
“Average hotel - avoid their car rental desk like the plague”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Had to stay here for 3 nights due to the flight disruption/volcano fiasco. Average airport hotel with clean ( but very dark) rooms and bathroom. Breakfast included - typical US fare of pancakes, pastries, waffles etc alongside scrambled egg. Tea and coffee available all say and is complimentary.
However, AVOID THE CAR RENTAL DESK LIKE THE PLAGUE! they are called AFFORDABLE CAR RENTALS - they are a complete cowboy outfit run by incompetents and their cars are death traps. Ended up having to call the local police out to them to get a refund for a car which died on us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank pigletpink

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Michigan
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This won it as one of the worst hotel experiences that I have had in a really long time. The Desk Clerk was so rude and unprofessional, I was upset before we even hit our room. The Halls were dirty, there was something that looked like throw up, and alot of it right outside our door. We were put in a smoking room, no-one smokes and I have asthma, so that was terrible. Smelled horrible. Common areas were really noisy. I could not wait to leave.
Wingate will not be for us again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank MichiganPicturechick
Tampa, FL
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Now I can understand the different review opinions!! The male desk clerks we're not very nice, nor understanding on the phone, or in person. The girls were very nice. The on-site manager was very good. I ended up giving a positive review, but you'll have to read the letter I e-mailed to Wyndham to understand why. I guess you have to be careful in what you get!!
Below is the e-mail:

I booked through Priceline. The following day when I called the hotel to confirm the res, I was told that it was a smoking room with 2 beds. As I am asthmatic I requested a NON-smoking room, and as I was alone requested one bed. I was told that none were available, but would be put on a "list" for such a room. Upon checking in I was told there were no rooms available, again. When I got to the room it smelled horrible, and was extremely cold, although the wall thermostat indicated it was set at 82. I tried to turn the A/C off, but it would not. I called the desk, and I booked through Priceline. The following day when I called the hotel to confirm the res, I was told that it was a smoking room with 2 beds. As I am asthmatic I requested a NON-smoking room, and as I was alone requested one bed. I was told that none were available, but would be put on a "list" for such a room. Upon checking in I was told there were no rooms available, again. When I got to the room it smelled horrible, and was extremely cold, although the wall thermostat indicated it was set at 82. I tried to turn the A/C off, but it would not. I called the desk, and was told somebody would be up to fix it. As I looked at the room, it was obvious that I got the "Priceline" room. The furniture was in disrepair, the carpet was dirty, and the tv remote didn't function, except to adjust the volume, and power on/off. After freezing for more than 45 min I went down to the desk, and was assured that someone would be there soon. After about 10 minutes the manager came up, and went through the usual fixes, and it would not turn off. He said that his maintenance man would be up to fix it. I told him I would be by the pool to warm up. After about 1/2 hr I started to return to the room and was intercepted by the manager in the hall who told me that the entire A/C unit would have to be replaced, and asked if I would rather have another room. Of course I did. He perused the computer, and asked if I had to have smoking?? NO!! Did I have to have 2 beds? NO!! No problem, he found the non-existing room for me...right down the hall from the "Priceline" room.
My kudos to the manager, as he went out of his way to accommodate me, and offered to help me moved (he must have noticed I am mobility impaired). The second room was what I had expected from staying at other Wyndham properties, and met, or exceeded, my expectations.
My suggestion is that if you're going to list with "Priceline" then have an acceptable room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank TommyTPA
St George Island, FL
Reviewed April 9, 2010

When I stayed at the hotel on 3/24 I was very comfortable, knowing I was going to have to come back on 3/29 from the Bahamas, I booked the room in person and made arrangemengs for my vehicle to stay in their parking lot instead of taking it to the airport. On 3/29, all flights out of Marsh Harbor were cancelled due to weather conditions. I found a phone I could use to call the hotel and cancel my reservation, which I did at 3:58 (cancellation was confirmed). Finally got back to the USA on 3/30 and retrieved my vehicle and came on home. The next day, I find a charge for my room on the bank statement. I called the hotel and was told it was for a no-show. I explained the situation to the hotel personnel (who was very rude by the way) and told he would check into it. No response from him. I again called the hotel and they verified there was a cancellation on my folio, but I was charged anyway. Called 4/9 and was told I did not call within the required 24 hours to cancel the reservation. Now how was I to know the flight would be cancelled on the day I was supposed to arrive? Opps I forgot my crystal ball. People beware of booking with this hotel. Being a hotel owner myself, I understand some circumstances are beyond peoples control, and those situations should be taken into consideration. Called Wyndham headquartes and made formal complaint. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank JoAnn S
North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stayed here fro 3 nights in April. Price was OK and the hotel was pretty full. Checked in and my key did not work but they worked to fix it that evening and gave me a temporary solution. The noise from the halls and a other rooms next to mine was too loud and that made sleeping fun. Internet was free but slow. One thing this hotel does have is room amenities. Fridge, Microwave and a large room. The pool is tiny but adequate. It was packed most of the time. Buffet was nice and many restaurants are within walking distance. I did not use the shuttle but it looked like a long process to get it reserved for a trip.

My stay was just OK.....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ILMpax
Leduc, Alberta
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stayed 3 nights in the hotel - one night at the beginning of our visit to Florida and two nights before we left to go home. The first night the room was satisfactory ; the last two were far from satisfactory . We were assigned to a room which had no thermostat control. We complained and were given another room.Again, heating and cooling were a serious problem. There was no way to control the fan. The thermostat did not allow us to reduce the temperature. The fan blasted away - first hot air and then cold air. We were either too hot or too cold. We alternated between sweating and shivering. The window could not be opened so we were at the mercy of an uncontrolable fan. In fairness, there were good things about the hotel. The room was very clean: the breakfast was very good and the location is excellent!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnLeduc_Alberta
Summerside, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2010

After reading some of the reviews we were very apprehensive about our stay here, and all I can say is I think we were staying at a different hotel!!!! The hotel was clean, staff very friendly, lovely bed linen, spacious room, and a free great breakfast as well. My main concern as always is cleanliness, and after the reviews I checked every nook and cranny and it was spotlessly clean. Lovely comfy bed as well, and very near the airport if you need to catch a flight. I would recommend this hotel and will stay here again,

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple