“Terrible value for your money & a rude manager”

Wingate by Wyndham Orlando International Airport
Ranked #86 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 21, 2010

The hotel wasn't especially clean to start with. Then , in the middle of a tv show, the tv channels went out. I tried to call the front desk and got no answer. I went down in person & was told that one (only 1 !!) of the guest rooms was having trouble with their channels, so they were rebooting the whole system. So, because one person couldn't watch tv, they cut off tv for a whole hotel!! The front desk worker said that it would only be 2 minutes, but it actaully ended up being 20 minutes! By the time the channels came back up, my show was over. The next day, when I tried to complain to the manger, he literally cut me off in the middle of my sentence and didn't listen to a word I had to say. So much for their "Satisfaction Guarantee". Also, the next night we went to the guest services desk to ask for dirctions to a restaurant, and the girl had no idea where we were talking about, It turned out that she led us the wrong way, and the place was closed, anyway. Additionally, the parking was not plentiful enough. The only positive thing I can say about this place is that the buffet breakfast was pretty decent.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank HorshamTraveller10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed February 13, 2010

After having a flight cancelled, my wife found Wyngate by Wydham, Orland Airport via Expedia. We arrived around 7p. Some lady was in the lobby sorting cash in plastic bags. It looked random and fishy, but we just wanted a clean safe room. The hotel was fully booked. We got a room, but when we went to wash up, I noticed the shower head had tons of brown mold on it. It was gross! The sink didn't drain well. I complained to the night clerk about the mold. She offered at $35 credit but instructed me to see the manager in the morning. The morning manger offered 15% off, which would have been $19 off a grimy room where I couldn't shower. They couldn't provide me with another shower, b/c all rooms were occupied. The motel didn't feel clean and the "management" was disinterested and unprofessional. I asked for proof of either the $35 or 15% discount in writing and the manager refused to provide it. I had to leave to catch a plane, but I would avoid the this motel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank radioesq
Reviewed February 10, 2010

After having my flight cancelled for the 3rd day, the last thing I wanted to do was hang out at the airport. But that's what my reservation at this hotel made me do...45 minutes and 3 phone calls later the "wingate shuttle" finally showed up. The desk clerk tried to explain that the shuttle was operated by a third party company but that doesn't excuse the fact it's their clients that are inconvenienced. I also got assurances from the clerk that she would arrange for me to get some fruit and yogurt for breakfast to go the next morning since I was leaving before the time breakfast was to be served. And sure enough the next morning nothing was left for me.

As for the room, the window AC/heating unit was broken and cold air was coming in through the cracks. The carpet was filthy with stains and the bath tub had hairs left in it. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank atsy_travels
Reviewed January 23, 2010

First the good points: Nicely furnished room with a nice bathroom. Shower worked fine compared to many of this and higher class hotels in which I stayed, that had poorly functioning shower heads or the drain was clogged. Included breakfast was standard Wingate, one of the reasons I decided to stay there.
The bad points: 1) Air conditioner did not work properly and hotel staff were unable to repair it. I would say it needed to be replaced but they didn't want to spend the money. I could not sleep because of the a/c noise, like a lawnmower running in the room. Also it didn't cool properly. They did not have another room available so my only option would be to go to another hotel. 2) The bathroom was not cleaned properly. I can put up with a lot of inconveniences, but I demand that the bathroom be cleaned thoroughly every day of my stay. 3) the desk chair had major stains on it from previous residents.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Laurian E
Spencer_Tarplee_GM, Hotel General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2010

Thank you for your response. I apologize if your stay with us was less than satisfying. We have a preventive maintenance program in place and assure you that we are also proactive in repairing any and all maintenance request as soon as we become aware of them from either the housekeeping staff or the guest. However, I do apologize that you unfortunately experienced this disturbance during your stay with us. I also apologize if the room cleanliness was not satisfactory. We have daily housekeeping roundups which include guest comment cards, website reviews and guest satisfaction scores. We take each review and comment seriously and focus on these items that were of concern. Again, I apologize that your stay with us was less than satisfying and hope that you give us another chance to gain your business.

Reviewed January 14, 2010

I'm a local but recently stayed at the Wingate because the temps here in Orlando were in the 20's and I have no heat at home and found a great rate at the Wingate plus it is fairly close to my home. I enjoyed every minute of my stay! The heat worked very well plus I had all the comforts of home plus some. It's equipped with a microwave, a mini fridge and coffee maker. Bed was very comfortable and it had a wonderfully warm comforter instead of the dreaded bedspread. The room was spotless and the decor was not that of a typical hotel.

I totally enjoyed the breakfast min buffet in the lobby that served up some very good food with a great variety, something for everyone. Excellent coffee, tea, hot choclate and juice choices.

There are many local restaurants that within walking distance if you don't have a car.

I highly recommend this hotel for business and pleasure.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo

Thank you for your response. We are fortunate to have had the pleasure to accommodate you during your visit with us. I am glad we could assist you in your time of need. Keep us in mind if you ever have any future hotel needs, for we would love to have you back as our guest.

Reviewed December 21, 2009

Stayed three days.NO HEAT 40 F in Orlando.Came in late to find hotel parking lot full of others not staying at hotel eating dinner in breakfast area, We had to park at another hotel and walk.Bed was broken on one side. I called the Home office for WINGATE THEY HAD NO COMMENT! The breakfast was very good at the hotel

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your response. I apologize if your stay with us was anything less than satisfying. We do have a preventive maintenance program in place and assure you that we are proactive with any and all maintenance request. Being that we are in Florida, our particular air conditioning units have to be manually switched over for the heat to function due to our weather in Florida and that there is only a short period of time we use heat if at all. Had you informed us that your room's heat was not functioning properly we could have turned this on in less than a minute. However, I do apologize that the temperature was not satisfactory upon arrival. I also apologize for the parking situation the evening you stayed with us for we did have a large meeting that evening and unfortunately did run out of space from a period of time, which is no excuse that I apologize for.

Reviewed November 12, 2009

We came in at midnight and they checked us into a room that was already occupied! They gave us a new room that had not been cleaned. On the third try, they "upgraded" us to a room that was poorly cleaned, the a/c was set at 61 and it could not be adjusted, and there was no one on staff at that time of night that could fix it. The bathtub had a dirty washcloth in it, the floor was dirty, the refrigerator had hair in it, the toilet had human waste in it, the bathroom sink had small chunks of something in it. After returning from a day out, we returned to our room and discovered that the housekeeper had left the dead bolt extended, so our room was wide open. Luckily nothing had been stolen. Our room was only vacuumed once during our stay, and the bathroom floor never was cleaned. Both toilets had issues (one overflowed), when they were "fixed" we walked on the floor in socks and found it is was still wet with debris from the overflow. The floor was never mopped after the repair and never did get cleaned during our stay. It remained spotted with soggy tissue the entire stay. The shower had mold all along the bottom of it. We had to ask for toilet paper. There were small ants around the kitchen area and up the wall in the living area. After a rainy day the ceiling leaked (we were on the top floor). We had planned on using the hotel's hot tub during our stay, but decided against it as we were concerned with cleanliness issues. The one thing I will say is that the staff was nice, but we would have preferred that the issues would have been dealt with. We tried to talk to the manager but was never given the opportunity to. The front desk staff were friendly, but conditions of the room never got better. This was a girls get-a-way treat purchased by my Mom through Expedia. This was not up to the Wyndham's standards.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank myalohaplace
Spencer_Tarplee_GM, Hotel General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2010

Thank you for your response for your response is the only way that we truly know what areas we need to improve. I apologize for the inconvenience of having to change rooms multiple times. This is not common and will be addressed in our operations meeting to make sure all checks and balances are conducted daily so this doesn't happen to another guest in the future. I also apologize for the maintenance and housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. I assure you that we have a preventive maintenance program in place as well as daiy housekeeping roundups each morning to cover comment cards, online reviews and specific items that need attention. Lastly, I apologize for the security issue of returning to a propped door while housekeeping was working. Our housekeeping staff is instructed to not leave doors propped open unless they are physically in the room cleaning the room. Thank you for your comments on the front desk, you are very kind. I do hope that you give us a second chance in the future to earn your business. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and less than satisfactory stay with us. Thank you for your comments.