“worth the price - nothing stands out”

Wingate by Wyndham Orlando International Airport
Ranked #86 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed here the night before a cruise. Nothing stands out but certainly a nice place to stay for the night. Here are a few tips.

Airport Shuttle- The shuttle is the RAMADA shuttle. My brother kept looking for the Wingate shuttle... silly him, right? How could he have known? That was a little silly.

Location- it's a GREAT location from the airport. Only hotels closer is the Hyatt which is inside the terminal. ha! Got a chili's outside the front door and many other resturants around. Just don't be fooled by the gas stations near the hotel. It's highway robbery... i'm not telling a lie when I say we pulled to the pump at the nearest station and it was $5.25 a gallon and it was the same price at a different place across the street. All that when just a quarter mile up the road the gas was just over $3. That should be illegal, but that's another story for another time.

Breakfast- It was ok. Had the items you would expect and it got the job done.

Seems to be plenty of parking but it can get packed on busy nights. You also can't just drive around to the back side of the hotel to park. I tried and had to go to main road, then go through traffic light before turning around to come back. My bad! But something to be aware of.

Room was clean, bed was comphy. Worth the price!

Room Tip: high floor has advantages here because of proximity of main road
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mtsublueraider
Spencer_Tarplee_GM, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to hear that your expectations were met while staying with us. I do apologize for the airport shuttle reading Ramada. We did have a Wingate magnet on the side of the van but completely do understand why you wouldn't have noticed this nor saw it to begin with. We have corrected this issue and have wrapped the entire hood of the vehicle to read Wingate as well as we are in the process of purchasing our own Wingate van so we don't have to share with our sister property. I am pleased to hear the you were happy with the location of the hotel and its short distance to the airport and walking distance to several quality restaurants in the area. I am glad to hear that the full "HOT" American Breakfast Buffet met your needs as well. Regarding parking we do offer enough spaces for everyone to park 1 vehicle per room, however when it does get busy and in the evening time when visitors not staying at the hotel park in our lot it does seem to fill up. We do have relationships (I know this is not ideal, but is a backup plan), with neighboring restaurants and hotels for overflow parking. Thank you for staying with us and offering us an opportunity to earn your business. We look forward to having you back as a guest in the future. Thank you for your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We got this hotel at a great price and decided we wuld be to tired to drive on from Orlando Airport having arrived from Manchester ..This hotel is very very Busy and has people coming and going all night . We were given a room downstairs facing on to the car park . e turned off the Air Conditioning as it had the same sound as a helicopter . The guy on reception could not adjust it either The people ere coming and going from the Car park all night so getting lots of sleep was not really an option .
The breakfast the following morning was worse than awful .
Over all we would have been better just to sleep in the car
There is a pool advertised which is about the size of an average size bath.
The only redeeming point was the restaurant across the road was good and cheap

Room Tip: Not downstairs near the casrpark

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Orlando. I do apologize that you experienced some noise and AC maintenance issues during your stay with us. I will definitely share your feedback with the maintenance department to ensure that we rectify the issue so the next guest going forward doesn't experience the same issues. As you have stated we are a very busy hotel and do fill up the hotel frequently meaning 200-300 people on average daily coming and going. I do apologize for any inconvenience and lack of sleep you may have experienced while staying in a downstairs room. Regarding the breakfast, I am a bit surprised that you did not particularly enjoy the offerings. In most cases, our guest love the offerings we have and state that we offer way more than our competition. I will dig a bit deeper into this and see what we can do to enhance the breakfast offerings to suit all needs and expectations. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you back in the future and the opportunity to earn your business.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for the weekend, and although I must confess that this hotel could use a bit of a renovation here and there, it certainly did the trick and would recommend it.

The thing about this hotel though, is that you need to be fully aware that this is not a luxury property, and that their clientele usually caters the lower side of the spectrum of hotel-goers, so you will see some very "interesting" characters here and there.

The room that I got was across from the laundry, yet, it was relatively quiet and I had no issues. The room was spacious, but not very bright,. still, I only used it to sleep.

The Internet connection was actually very good and simple to use, and I found that their bathrooms were also spacious.

Something I liked was the high ceilings, but still, it is a more austere option.

I was not at all impressed by their fitness facility, however, not very many people seemed very interested in using it.

It is really close to the airport and that saved me all kinds of hasle the day of my departure, so its location is very convenient.

The service was great and I was allowed to check in well in advance, which I always apprecitate :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I panicked a little when I heard we were staying at the airport before an early morning flight to Jamaica - I shouldn't have had. This turned out to be a really good hotel. I was truly pleasantly surprised. Everything is spotless (except for the freezing dirty pool - thus 4 stars not 5).

The hot tub was great and the room was larger than most I have ever stayed in (two rooms really). The frig was cold. The coffee machine worked great. The microwave was clean and the bathroom was pretty with good shampoo (but oddly no conditioner). Probably the best hair dryer ever for a hotel. The ice machine down the hall worked, thus, plenty of ice for drinks.

Walk across the parking lot to restaurants - very convenient.

Scrambled eggs, bacon ,waffles, along with toast, bagels, muffins, juice, yogurt and coffee made our morning. We were stuffed. Free newspapers in the lobby were appreciated.

Don't hesitate unless you have kids that to swim in a pool. For that I would look elsewhere.

1  Thank ChampagnePrincess
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We booked a hotel and rental car for Orlando Florida through Travelocity. Arrived at the Orlando airport and had no issues with Avis regarding the rental car. They even offered to upgrade us at no charge simply because their slow computer caused us to wait too long at the counter. Nice people at Avis!

Now for the hotel! We arrived at Wingate where the real adventure begins! The clerk quickly finds our reservation and tells us that the hotel is over-booked for that night and we will have to travel 2 miles away to their "sister" hotel the Ramada Inn. I informed her that I had called earlier in the day and the Wingate employee had confirmed the reservation and availability. She still insisted that we go the Ramada for the night. As I was preparing to leave she turned her attention to another check-in guest. I waited around a bit to hear her welcome them to the Wingate and started checking them into their room. Their reservation was made through Wyndham and apparently they have rooms set aside for the important people. Travelocity customers are apparently second class citizens. We went to the Ramada.

At the Ramada we were given the "only" room available, with 2 double beds (maybe they were queens) but certainly not the King bed as reserved. The water in the sink trickled out and the room had not been cleaned in a long time! Made us wonder if the "sister" hotel was going to be any better. We survived the first night there.

The next day we re-packed and moved to the Wingate. The room was certainly better than the Ramada had been. Still the cleaning had a lot to be desired, dust was piled on everything hanging on the walls and the tops of the furniture. The carpet had only been vacuumed in the center of the room. The biggest issue was the air conditioner, specifically the thermostat. It only worked one way. It simply would not turn off when the desired temperature was reached. Makes for a very cold room!! We reported this 4 times and it was never repaired during our 6 night stay.

Want to be treated like a second class citizen? Reserve a room with a discount agent and stay at the Wingate for a few nights!

2  Thank cmegoaway
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We (family of 4) stayed for just one night before moving on to our villa. It's just 5 minutes away from the airport (complementary shuttle bus).
The reception staff were possibly the most polite, pleasant and accomodating people I have ever met, I really mean that, they are a real credit to their company.
The room was large and spotless, had all the amenities we needed (but the aircon unit and fridge were noisy so both were switched off before retiring).
Breakfast was totally self-service and not fancy (e.g. plastic plates and cutlery) but we were expecting that.
Had it not been for the noisy aircon unit and fridge, I would have given 5/5 without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Very clean, comfy, good breakfast, quite, nice. right by lots of restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business