“Luau a big letdown.”

Disney's Spirit of Aloha Show
Ranked #29 of 71 Concerts & Shows in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show is an all-you-care-to-eat, family-style luau featuring hula dancing and a fire-knife performer at Disney's Polynesian Resort.Situated on the Seven Seas Lagoon, the open-air covered dining theater provides a comfortable setting for authentic music and dances, with beautiful costumes, irresistable rhythms and the show-stopping fire-knife dance! The many nations of the South Pacific unite in an evening of spellbinding magic that tells the tale of a native girl returning to her people and her traditions.You'll almost believe you've been transplanted to the tropics as you and your loved ones share platters of authentic foods such as barbequed pork ribs, roast chicken, fresh pineapple, salad with mango poppy seed dressing garnished with Mandarin oranges, Polynesian-style rice and seasonal vegetables. Save room for the chocolate ""mouse"" volcano! (Parents of finicky little ones, fear not: There's a limited children's menu). Beer, wine and soft drinks are included for Guests 21 years of age or older (picture ID required). Celebrations are acknowledged in the show.
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We checked in at the Polynesian for the 5:15pm show, got "lei'd" and went to the outdoor waiting area. They had a bar set up, which was nice, but we just got two waters. We finally were led in and I HATED our seats. I'm talking despised. I am not one to make a big deal out of things like that, but judging by the seating chart that I had printed out, we got screwed. We paid for category 2 and might as well have just paid for 3 and saved some money, because that's what surrounded us. We were up on the second level, with two poles in our view AND the waiters' station between them. Waiters kept stopping there and we couldn't see the stage. I went to a manager and asked "If I'm in category 2, where is cat 3?" She pointed to the two corners of the room. So basically only TWO tables in this entire place are cat 3? What *I* think happened is that they designate it however they want - if there are tons of people willing to pay for cat 1 or 2, they take them and wean out cat 3 to the bare minimum to get more money. There is NO way that our table was worth paying extra for. I could have saved that money. Anyway - I say to the manager "I guess I was led to believe that if you pay for a higher category, you'd get a better seat?" and she looked at me like I was stupid and said "Who told you THAT?" I said "Told me what?" She said "That paying for category 2 meant a better seat?" I said something like "One would assume if you're paying more, you're getting SOMETHING more, no? I've got two poles in my view and my 4 year old can't even see over the people in front of her." and I leftand went back to the table. While gone, my husband switched seats with me. I was able to see a bit better, but I was still upset about the whole situation. The manager came over a few minutes later with a booster pad for my daugter, but it still sucked. My pina colada was the only thing I was happy about at that point.

The show was ridiculous too. Not only could I barely see, but I couldn't hear ANYTHING. Literally, all I could hear that night was mumbling blaring through the speakers that I assume was from the microphones on the actors, the clanking of the metal plates when waiters DROPPED them onto trays (and kids whacking their silverware off it), and the music when it was played. I couldn't hear what the actors were saying, but the acting was way cheesy. They overdid it. I wished I had listened to reviews from those who said it sucked. Because it did. My husband and I had booked this on our honeymoon back in 2003 and it got rained out, so we were looking forward to this for over 6 years. What a letdown.

The only part of this show that was good was the dancing at the end, and the "fire-guy". They should cut ALL of that other stuff out from the beginning, extend the performance of the final performers, and add a free mixed drink to your ticket price. I would have been much happier.

6  Thank mchelle77
in 16 reviews
"disney world"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 28, 2010

I went to Orlando this past week with 2 friends and their kids. We did wait around to the last minute to make dinner reservations (which was our fault), but we thought than an Aloha dinner would be a lot of fun for the kids. So, we purchased tickets, which were NOT cheap at over $300 for 3 adults and 2 kids. We accepted the price, because at least we would have very good seats on the main floor.
Getting to the Polynesian from another resort hotel ( We were at the Old Key West), required almost 2 hours to do and we arrived just as the 515 show started. We were seated in the back of the main floor, but still had a really good view of the stage area. This was until, the couple seated next to us broke out their camcorders.
The woman in the couple started it when she broke out her tri-pod and placed in in the middle of the table. Blocking our entire view. We brought this to the attention of the server and a Manager went over the couple and asked for them to remove the tri-pod as it was blocking other people's view. The woman argued, but did as she was requested. At this point, we thought the situation was done with.
After dinner was served and the main show started, the woman next to us stood up (she was rather large) with her camcorder and started recording. Completely blocking my view and a 10 year olds view.
The friend of mine on the other side of the table then got up to go find the manager. That took about 10 minutes and by that time, I had gotten up to go stand in the back of the room. I was not interested in staring at that ladies butt during the show.
Another Manager went to the lady and asked her to sit down, to which she replied that she would not. It started to make a scene and because the kids were there, we did not want to cause a situation. The Manager stepped back.
I guess the woman got tired of standing, because halfway through the show, she sat down, but then again broke out the tri-pod.
After the show, our server asked us to wait behind after everyone else had left and that because of the situation, they would like to do something for us. We were given a "Single Fast Pass" for the Magic Kingdom....
I think this was a very bad judgement call from Management. First of all, the woman should not have been video taping the entire performance. Second of all, her actions were disrupting the experience of 5 other people, 2 of who were under 10. This is not something I would expect from a Disney Property.
In the end, the show was just ok and the food was decent. It did not help that the show is outside and the humidity was almost unbearable...

6  Thank Sagi1971
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Quite good food as described from the previous post. We only booked 3 weeks ahead and got a front table for 4 people for the 8pm show so I can't complain. I will say because you prepay with a gratuity, the wait staff seem to take this as giving less than adequate service. We didn't see a waitress for about 10-15mins. after we were first seated. You did have to wait a long time to enter like they tell you to show up early. There is a cash bar to distract you while you wait and a photographer. The waitress didn't return often during the dinner and we never got to ask for coffee with our dessert since she never came back to check on us! The photo was pricy at $30 but I did buy it as we never had one done with any other Disney photographer. My 9 and 11 year old enjoyed the food and the fire dancer. Inbetween, not so much! It was worth doing once though for the kids. I last went 20 years ago and still remember a bit of it.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I went to the 8pm show on our first night of vacation. It was a great way to get it started. We sat down front, which costs a little extra. The food was pretty good. The only thing we did not care for were the ribs. The chicken, rice, and salad were good. The food is all you can eat. It comes with complimentary wine and beer. My husband said the beer tasted watered down. I thought the wine was terrible, so I ordered a margarita. It was good, but expensive (roughly $14 for one after the automatic gratuity is added on). Beware of the pictures. They take your picture when you first arrive and try to sell you one photo for $40 (no complimentary frame included either). The actual show is very long. The concept is that they are throwing a surprise party for an island girl leaving to go to college. It was boring until they got to the traditional dance. The fire dancer was awesome. They need more traditional dance and fire dancers. Those two things made the show, otherwise it would have been a wash for us. The luau was definitely something different and fun for us. If you have never been to this show, I would suggest you try it once. By the way, the Polynesian Resort is very pretty. We spent some time there after the show which ended around 10pm. We got way better pictures than the $40 one.

1  Thank TurnerRN
See more reviews
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Theyspend the first half of the show with a surprise party "ohana" story and any dancing and singing is more "disney channel-ish" Once they get to the actual traditional dancing the show is good and interesting. The fire dancer was terrific. The food is pretty good. Make sure to sit on the floor in the front or you won't see well. Parents: THE SHOW IS VERY LOUD. My four year old almost couldn't take it and was crying. We went to the 8pm show. I am not sure i would recommend that after a day in the parks etc. We almost just had sensory overload and it was too much and too late for the kids. If i had it to do over, i would do the earlier show with little ones. Four year old ended up sitting in my lap with my hands over his ears and he ended up falling asleep and missing it all. Could not have any type of conversation because it was so loud. I am glad the kids got to see some polynesian dancing, but i wish they had gotten to it sooner. Overall, i would rate it as a good experience as long as you know what to expect and you are not too tired to enjoy it.

3  Thank 4hughs