“O.K.”

Monumental MovieLand
Ranked #243 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I spend a week in this hotel with my family, The good part of this hotel is: It`s closed to Universal Studio (15-20 minute walk) in the hotel there's a restaurant & next to it there's a lot of buffets at excellent prices with great international restaurants and all the fast foods including the biggest Mc Donald's in North America. The location is perfect wet'n'wild is right in front of it and Ripley believe it or not,Titanic,Csi, Museums and so much entertainment next to it with Live alligators with their trainer to take picture with. The Hotel itself as a game room with a washer and dryer that's a little bit too pricey, the room was O.K. with a small fridge and microwave but the service is terrible.....I had room light problems, I notified the front desk it took them 3 hours to send someone to fix it and to bring a baby crib that we requested it took 5 hours. At they end of our stay they where trying to keep our deposit money. But we asserted ourselves and got it. It's true what the other travelers are saying: the hallways as a musty smell, the maids are more professional than the front desk staff. This hotel is only good for 1 -3 nights stay. If it wasn't for the location this place would had not survived for the service they offer.

Room Tip: First floor rooms opposite international drive street side in the back of hotel is quiet from street...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 45robert
There are newer reviews for Monumental MovieLand

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Best holiday ever hotel is basic but I only slept in the room who goes to America to sit in hotel room it's a big room clean that's all you need. Across the road from wet and wild next to lots of shops and KFC would recommend u hire a car though. Any questions please ask

Room Tip: Visit everywhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank hayley270385
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Ideally located at International drive across from Wet 'n Wild and within walking distance of Universal Studios and Island of Adventure. Sea World and Aquatica parks are easily reachable with the I-Ride trolley (make sure to buy a multi-day pass).
Disney parks are at 15 minutes driving distance via I-4.
Ironing board, iron, coffee maker, safe, flat screen tv and small refrigirator available without any extra cost.
Very good price / quality ratio. If you are planning to spend your holidays in your hotel room or at the bar then you might want to choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank EddyDB1962
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was really not a bad hotel. If you are looking for something in this hotel's price range, this one is far better than most of the others. I would recommend it. If you're worried, don't worry! It IS right across from Wet & Wild though and in a heavy traffic area, so if you're looking to avoid that, I wouldn't stay here. It does have a Black Angus steakhouse restaurant attached and it was very good. DON'T get the flaming onion rings though. They just taste like lighter fluid.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank L M
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband booked this hotel through Hotels.com. He asked for Monumental Hotel but didn't pay attention and we ended up here. Please know that I am not one to degrade a business for nuances, but this is the absolute worst hotel experience I have had in 20 years of traveling. Cheap? Yes. Why? It's horrific.

Room: our breath was literally almost taken away by the scent of wintergreen when we opened the door; it was that overwhelming. We propped door open while we called Hotels.com to inquire about switching once we discovered that we were at the "movieland". No dice there so we sucked it up for the one night. The two double beds appeared to be set up queen wood foundations or something. The box springs were set diagonal to the frame to keep them on the frame. My daughter had her shoes off for less than five minutes when I noticed her socks were brown. I turned down both beds and the linens did appear clean (we always remove comforters). The pillows were very small, lumpy, and fairly worthless (according to my 12 year old). The mini fridge did not cool. The hair dryer did work. Husband went for ice at four different machines (all broken) only to return to room to call front desk. Front desk stated "sorry, should have told you at check in, you have to get ice from front desk." Inconvenient? Yes. Life shattering? No.

Parking lot: approximately 2300, folks were setting off fireworks about 50 feet from our vehicle. We called front desk to no avail.

Location: convenient for the parks very close by, but difficult to see from the road after dark. We did not feel secure.

Asides: we found the "air freshener" and disabled it then went to the CVS down the street and purchased coffee and disposable cups and set fresh coffee around the room about every five feet to soak up the smell. All four of us still awoke with a headache. The windows do not open at all to allow airflow.

There were multiple plug extenders to allow for the bedside lamp, alarm clock, etc. these are absolutely unsafe and I believe forbidden to use in commercial properties.

Room Tip: My advice would be to choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank radteck96
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I picked this hotel because of its location being right across from the gate at wet n wild. After staying here one night, this will be my future hotel for any more overnight stays when going to the waterpark. Literally has a nice crosswalk that stops traffic when you push the button and closer than wet n wild's parking lot and saved $12 a day vs paying the waterpark for parking. I live in SW florida so its only a 3 hour trip up here. Called the hotel and said no problem getting a parking pass being that I was checking in later that day.

Now for the hotel. It used to be a best western and it is an older hotel but was decently reviewed here. Booked a double room since I was staying with my brother. Had inside hallways which some people prefer and even though there was a lot of things one could nitpick about the hotel, the room was VERY clean, smelled clean (no smoke smell), sheets and comforter were clean and the room stayed nice and cool. From the lobby, there was a hallway directly into the restaurant next door with the $3.89 buffet breakfast. Even though it was very convenient and had good bacon and pancakes, I probably would go elsewhere for breakfast next time.

Room Tip: all the rooms do not have balconies even though it appears that some do
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank robsnyder20
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We ended up staying at this hotel through Expedia's secret hotel deal, whereby you choose a general location and star rating, and pay before finding out what you had booked. The hotel was easy to find, being right on International Drive, and upon arrival, check-in was quick and easy, and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the third floor, and when walking to the room I felt as if the hotel could do with a bit of renewal; the carpets in the hallways seemed old and sticky, and the lifts smelt a little odd. The room we had smelt musty when we first walked in, and a few things didn't work or were not plugged in. It seemed as if the room may not have been used for a while. Otherwise it seemed clean; the bathroom was clean and had fresh towels and toiletries. The air con was working well and the room was nice and cool. We only ended up staying in this room for one night though, as we found a cockroach on the second day. The reception staff were very apologetic and moved us to an alternative room immediately. It was much the same as the previous one, although seemed to be in slightly better condition. We did not see any other creepy crawlies during the rest of our stay, which was good, and the room was cleaned daily. As other people have mentioned, the rooms seem to suffer with damp, and we had to have the dehumidifier on a lot during our stay to make the room bearable. The only problem being that it was very loud, so we had to turn it off at night in order to sleep.

The hotel is well located on International Drive, directly opposite Wet n Wild and within walking distance of Universal Studios. One evening we got a cab back from Universal, and it cost $6. There are shops like Walgreen nearby, and bars and restaurants also within walking distance. The car park is huge and we always had our pick of spaces.

The hotel was fine for what we wanted, which was a place to sleep in between visiting the many attractions of Orlando. We were not looking for a hotel to spend any prolonged periods of time, so it was fine for us. It is in an excellent location, and the staff were great. I would consider staying here again, as it was great value for money.

Room Tip: Any room not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple