“Bugs, Rude, and Don't speak english.”

Monumental MovieLand
Ranked #243 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Upon arrival, our room was not ready. The employee at the counter was rude and coughing all over my credit card and talking to what seemed like friends on the phone. They upgraded us to a Junior Suite to compensate. I thought, "Okay! That's great!" I was wrong. They told us there was a hot tub in the room which would've been great had it not been dirty and broken. The bed was like sleeping on a brick. The second night, I got out of the shower, grabbed a towel, only to find a bug crawling all over the towel. I took the towel with the bug down to the front desk. The employee informed me there was nothing she could do for me because she was not a manager, nor would a manager be in until the morning. She also told me not to talk to certain managers because they would just argue with me and yell. In the morning, I went to check out and the employee who was there told me her was only a manager on duty (basically the person who has worked there the longest) and he could not do anything for me. He barely spoke English. I was told I had to wait until the next day to speak to an actual manager.

I was not the only person who had bug and dirt complaints. There was a couple from England staying there on their honeymoon who had to be moved 3 times because of bugs. They were also told by management that if they didn't like all the ants down by the pool, he [the manager] would "collect a bunch of ants and put them in his bed."

Very poor customer service. Had to have HotWire.com refund my money because the hotel would not even speak to me about my stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mab06d

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was for 10 days in Orlando, at Movieland Hotel. Great hotel considering localization, price, cleaning etc. Staff is not very warm...but, who cares ?
Rooms has mini fridge, micro wave, coffe machine, safe box, bath tube,, LCD TV.
I recommend.

3  Thank MiBrazil
Reviewed September 2, 2012

First stayed in this hotel in Aug/Sept 2009 for 3 weeks when it was Best Western Movieland the hotel was fine as a base had no problems & was well priced especially considering its location on I Drive with wet & wild across the street & universal around the corner. So we booked for the following year & when we arrived it had changed hands now called Monumental MovieLand. I have never seen a hotel change so much in a year the place had fallen apart nothing seemed to work & no one seemed to care. Vending machines where empty all the time & the ice machines where always broken & when u told reception they would say it'll be fixed in half an hour never was in our 3 week stay. I did find 1 working at the other side of the hotel but within a few days it was broke & as they had no fridge in the rooms this was a big problem. So the next year we moved up to the Rosen Inn (formerly Rodeway Inn) big big difference great hotel so I wouldn't risk the Monumental again

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

After reading some bad reviews I was dubious about staying here, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. This was a relocation from our original hotel so didn't really know what to expect. We stayed here so that we could visit the main parks in Orlando and were thrilled when we arrived and saw Wet n Wild was directly opposite. Also, it was a 15 min walk to Universal/Island of Adventure which was very handy as we didn't have a car. There is a I-ride trolley that tales you up and down international drive for 2 dollars and the stop is directly outside the hotel, which was also really helpful for getting to Sea World and the other end of I drive. The hotel is basic but that is all you need if you are at the parks all day. The rooms were clean with fresh towels daily of you required them. The room was huge for two people with a king size bed, air conditioning and a flat screen plasma tv. The people on reception were very helpful and there was a steakhouse next door which we had breakfast in. The hotel is within walking distance to the main attractions on I drive, including crazy golf, go karts and a Bungay ride. All in all we were really happy with this hotel, yes it does need a bit of updating and of you're looking for luxury then it's not the right hotel for you. However, if you're looking for someone to simply sleep after a long day at the parks and be close to restaurants and parks then it is ideal. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Myself and 2 teenage daughters have just come back from a 14 night stay here. I agree with other travellers, it is a good basic hotel which does need updating. In our room we had 2 double beds (not King) but no fridge or microwave, that seemed to be only in the King rooms. Housekeeping was very efficient - clean towels every day and neatly presented beds. Had problems with a blocked toilet twice but maintenance were straight onto it when we reported it - even at 9pm at night. Swimming pool was a godsend after a day out at the theme parks. Unseasonally hot weather while we were there - 94F practically every day! Quite violent thunderstorms late afternoon which cooled things down a bit . Air conditioning coped really well considering and it wasn't too noisy at night - either that or we were too exhausted to notice.
Only downside was the cattle truck 'shuttle' to Disney Epcot. Two a day 07:30 and 11:30. Both were quite full when they arrived at the hotel and it called at another 5-6 after ours. Evening pick-ups at Epcot were a free for all - everyone trying to squeeze on (6pm, 9pm 10pm and 1120pm). On occasions the driver split the load and another bus came to take them, otherwise it was like sardines and I think he didn't switch the air con on on purpose! 'Universal' bus was so much more civilised and we used the I-trolley to get to Seaworld and Aquatica as stop was right outside hotel and we could choose when we came and went. Didn't have tickets for Wet n Wild but Aquatica was so much better.
All told a very good hotel experience if you were only using the room to sleep.

Room Tip: Try to go for the King rooms if you want fridge and microwave. Standard rooms don't have them...
2  Thank cmhare
Reviewed August 15, 2012

It was right across from WetNWild so couldnt ask for a closer location. A bit dated but no complaints on cleanliness. The carpets were clean, bathroom was better than most. Good price, paid $52 inc fees on Expedia. Free internet. $3.89 breakfast buffet in the ajoining building. Only thing I'd really recommend is to add some paint colors to the room and hallways. Plain white is boring and upgrade to flat panel tv's. Our room was 126
It is a great location for toursits. Walking distance to all kinds of shops and restaurants. 2 miles away is BB Kings. We always go there in the evening to watch good bands while we eat. Noisy but fun.
Better than trhe Motel 6 up the street I have stayed at several times. It always smells musty :(

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed (3 adults ) for 14 nights and had a fantastic time. The room was clean, two big beds, a new TV, fridge, microwave and a safe. The housekeeper came after lunch and AGAIN at around 9 pm to ask if you need anything. She would give you extra towels, coffee etc. I have stayed in many Hotels but I never had a housekeeper coming at night to check if you need anything. The staff was very nice at all times. The pool was basic, but warm and clean. We never run out of extra towels at the pool or seats. At night you could sit on the lovely bar watching the Olympics in our case, or they had different events on some nights. We had dinner there once. It was very good but as we are from England we wanted to try as many different restaurants as possible. The only thing they put a quite high tip on your bill, so watch it. You can asked to be taken off and give what you think. We walked to universal and it took us 20 minutes quietly. International drive is like our Blackpool, you love it our hate it. Lots to do, we enjoyed mini golf. Lots of good restaurants, watch the buffe restaurants and look at the food first. They are cheap, but sometimes the food is very 'cheap'. If we go again we would always take this hotel again. We had been worried as last minute our hotel had been changed by Thomascook. As the Moveland was a very cheap hotel, we expected the worst. We had stayed in the USA in lots of Hotels in the past and even more pricy Hotels are often dirty And smelly.

• Stayed: August 2012