“Great honeymoon hotel!”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #72 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon at the end of November. We had a fabulous experience. I should note, however, that our travel agent arranged for us to have free parking and free internet -- try to do this if you can, it totally helps with the cost. Otherwise it's $16/day for parking and another $16/day for the internet. Adds up!

<b>The Outside</b>
Beautiful grounds, very well maintained; great for walks. The pool/lazy river is pretty great. They keep the water heated to 84 degrees, so it's nice to swim in even when it gets a bit cold. It is a shallow pool though, never deeper than 5 feet.

<b>Service</b>
Lobby was beautiful. Check-in was quick with a friendly and informative staff member. Housekeeping was pretty spot-on every day, and the turn-down service at night was a really nice touch. They even gave us a complimentary wine and snack cart to help us kick off our honeymoon. Chocolate covered blueberries are my new favorite.

<b>Room</b>
We had a King Lake View room. The bed was PHENOMENAL. Tons of soft cushy pillows, and an amazing featherbed under you. I slept like a rock. Bathroom was huge, and the shower water pressure was nice.

<b>Restaurants</b>
Delicious food, but it definitely costs you. We ate at Citron a few times, but we never went to Primo because we couldn't justify the expense. I would probably recommend just going out for your meals.

Overall we had a really good experience and would go back again, provided we could still finagle the free parking and internet out of the hotel. Otherwise it would just be too pricey.

Reviewed December 2, 2010

Beautiful, upscale hotel - large, well manicured grounds and great pool area. We stayed in the suite, which was very roomy. Convenient location: 10 minute drive on the backroads to Universal and to SeaWorld. Had to get on the highway for Disney, which was about 15 minutes away. Delicious restaurants. The last time we visited Orlando, we stayed in the WorldCenter Marriott, which wasn't nearly as nice as this...We'll stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2010

WOW WHAT A PLACE! You can't beat the beauty and size of this property! But they had service issues. When we pulled up from a $32 cab ride from airport we were just blown away with the view but so was the help...........no one offered to take the luggage! First bad sign! So we saved the tip and checked in without porter. Next we went to Primo's, waited about 20 minutes on reservation, and the food was fantastic but the service was terrible! Did not want to waste another 30 minutes in here waiting on staff issues. Went out to hot tub, pool area which is fantastic! Went over to the Ritz where the bar had better service. Next morning we waited, waited, on room service but staff had failed to pick up our room service order off the door knob! Probably saved $50 here! Great Property with bad service......I guess their at the mercy of their help!

1  Thank chefeMark
Reviewed November 17, 2010

The hotel is very nice. Very clean, very up to date, very nice and also very, very big. However, having stayed at a number of Marriott and Hilton properties, I didn't see anything that blew me away considering this was a JW Marriott. It comes across as a very nice Marriott. Enjoyed my stay (business trip), but I guess I expected a little more.

Finally, having to pay for parking is a bit of a turn off. This seems to be pretty standard for Marriott properties in Orlando. But considering the JW is not around any of the big attractions, this seems a pretty crummy way of generating revenue.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel and probably the best hotel campus in the area. Check-in, valet and bell services were quick, courteous and professional and the lounge bar was a great place to unwind after the drive. Rooms were luxurious and well appointed and the area - JWM, Ritz, Convention Ctr and golf course were scenic and a great place to walk. I would make this a first choice for another Orlando trip.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

This time my husband was traveling for business and the kids and I went along for the quick vacation. We have done Disney Orlando many times and we were looking for something more relaxing and just different. This hotel was perfect. The grounds, especially the lazy river pool, were more than enough diversion and fun for the kids - and I was able to catch up on some back issues of magazines while relaxing poolside! From a putting green, to Frisbie on the thick green grassy areas, to simply walking the extensive grounds (which are shared w/Ritz Carlton) - my kids and I had more than enough to do without leaving the resort. The resort had a very adult, luxury feel while still appealing to the kids. We didn't even have to leave the pool area for lunch - great, convenient outdoor cafe type area with foods my kids really enjoyed. Gave a rating of 4 out of 5 for a few things, such as service, because it is so big that it does feel a little impersonal. While I loved the location, it is a bit of a drive into and out of the property if you are visiting Orlando tourist destinations. I will return when, inevitably, we return to Orlando.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sylvitilli
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Checkin
Our GPS sent us into the resort the long way so we had a view of the beautiful and extensive grounds before arriving at the impressive lobby. Checkin service was topnotch. I inquired about an upgrade to a suite as we were travelling with an infant and was offered one for $150 per night, after a moment's hesistation on our part, the checkin girl offered to speak with the manager to see if this could be reduced. And lo and behold we ended up in Suite 25007 for $100 extra per night beyond the $200ish original room price that was booked through my husband's conference. The bell hop immediately took our bags up, with me, not 30min after I arrived in the room like in some large hotels! Another employee brought up the crib and highchair and a cute little package for our little one with a big rubber duckie, washcloth, brush and baby shampoo. The only downside was the 2 packages I had sent to the hotel were not noted in the file on arrival (usually I forget I sent anything and the checkin is a pleasant surprise). It took a while to find them but they were located in the end (this has happened to me at other large hotels, they always seem to find them!)

The Room
As you enter the large suite, there is a lobby area with a huge walkin closet that leads into the living area which has its own balcony, pull-out sofabed, desk, flat-screen tv, minibar & safe. Through french doors with curtains you end up in the bedroom, which has another small balcony (no chairs as balcony is too small, balconies at the Ritz next door do all seem to have chairs). Master bedroom has deliciously comfy king bed, an empty bar size fridge, another flatscreen and a comfy chair. The blackout blinds allowed us (and baby) to nap during the day as if it was nightime. The view from the room over the beatiful pools and golf course beyond is very calming. Individual a/c units for BR and LR which is fantastic and they worked great! Service was always prompt, I lost my key and they brought one up within 5min. I called down to ask the room to be made up in a 1h window and it was. I don't think the hotel was full but my husband's conference had 900 delegates and it was not the only one so they place certainly wasn't empty. In room wifi is $15 per day + unlimited domestic long distance, the standard Marriott deal, and it worked VERY well the whole time we were there. The suite also had about 4 phones including a wireless which was very handy.

Grounds, pool etc.
The hotel inside is beautiful and huge. The lobby has complimentary lemon water, nice & refreshing. There is also a full service starbucks (not one of those inside another store that only has filtered coffee). There is also a bodega with pizza and sandwiches and what looked like chips, snacks, softdrinks. Prices at Starbucks were par for the course, $4 for a tall gingerbread latte (yum!). The grounds are kept immaculate and are quite lush. I saw 3 different herons on a walk by the lake at 10am and a cardinal in the bushes near the pool as well as lizards. There is a play area for kids with slides and a sandbox and a zero-entry pool for them as well. All pools are connected by a 3ft deep lazy river that will propel you around in a circuit if you purchase an inner tube. They also sell beachballs and floaties for kids & have free swim diapers. There is a poolside cafe and seems to be poolside drink service although didn't see any servers but I was only there in the mornings. The pool area is shaded in the AM and gets full sun in the afternoon. Towels are abundant.

Location
You really need a car if you are here as even the walk from the hotel out of the grounds would be pretty far and there is nothing much nearby. If you have a car, you are a short drive from the Florida Mall and also the Premium Outlets, as well as many fastfood chains. Bring your GPS! Yes, it is a bit of a walk to self-serve parking (maybe 3min?) but nothing worth complaining about.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business