“Fantastic five star hotel”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #65 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh - Scotland
“Fantastic five star hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I stayed at the JW Marriott, along with my husband and 9 year old son for our 2 week summer holiday from 17 June to 1 July 2006 and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It truly is a first class hotel with excellent facilities and friendly /helpful stafff. This was our first visit to Orlando and the USA from Scotland (Edinburgh)and it has left us with a very good impression of both. This is without doubt the nicest hotel I have stayed in ANYWHERE

Let me clarify the points a bit. The location of the hotel is ideal. 5 mins to Seaworld and 15 mins for Universal and Disney. (by car)The setting is tranquil and the hotel grounds are gorgeous and well maintained. However for us it was also far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Interrnational Drive.

Upon arrival we were given an upgrade (upon request) and at no extra cost to a lake view room on a high floor so we could see the fireworks displays from the various parks. The room was very comfortable and clean and the bathroom with separate shower excellent. We requested extra coathangers and within 10 minutes we had been given another dozen.

The lazy river is relaxing and when we were there never overcrowded and the pool area has some lovely secluded areas for a bit of peace and quiet. My son had a whale of a time playing in and around the pool and the childrens club staff were great for organising smores evenings and poolside games.

We visited 6 of the various parks whilst there and felt the days spent at the JW were a relaxing break between them all. So much so, sometimes it was difficult to drag ourselves away!!

We ate in the Citron, Primo and Quench Pool Bar at the JW and the Vineyard Grill and lobby bar at the Ritz Carlton. Primo and the Grill were quite expensive, especially with wine but that's what you expect with a hotel of this calibre. All were of a very high standard of food and service with an excellent and very cheap children's menu in Citron and Vineyard Grill. Our particular favourite though, has to be the sushi bar in the lobby of the JW. Very reasonably priced and excellent sushi.

The gym at the Ritz is one of the best equipped I have seen in any hotel, with towels, headsets to the personal moniitors and complimentary bottles of water. I used it quite frequently during my stay and it was always clean cool and well staffed.

Lastly the staff in particular were a credit to the hotel. They really were polite, accomodating and a pleasure to meet. Ricardo the lobby barman is worth a mention for his excellent cocktails. Our turn down service was prompt with extra chocolates being left for my son!!! We did do the Marriott Vacations Club presentation organised through Bobbi. It was very professional and we didn't feel under any particular pressure to sign up. We didn't , but would certainly consider it in future if the JW is an example of other Marriott properties.

The only one negative point I have is the $9 per day parking charge. (which we were charged) Excessive I thought for a 2 week stay - $140.00 (including tax).

Would stay at the JW again in a minute, and in fact would find it difficult to stay anywhere else whilst in Orlando.

• Liked — Everything to be honest!!!!
  • Disliked — $9.00 per day (exc tax) car parking charge
  • Tips/Secrets — late June is a great time to go as the hotel is not very busy
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
18 Thank Linda/Bob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed July 20, 2006

My boyfriend and I booked the hotel and airfare on Jetblue for 5 nights at $1200. It was totally worth it!
We had the Sunday brunch which included all you can eat crab claws, shrimp, everything you can imagine. It was a little pricey but the food was excellent. The weekday breakfast was very pricey but still delicious.
The hotel grounds are beautiful. We spent every morning to midafternoon floating around the lazy river. The have a great golf course on the grounds. The concierge was very helpful and recommended great restaurants.
I was a little surprised of the extra charges. Parking is not included, self park $9/day and the internet is $12.95/day.
We had a great vacation and are looking forward to returning.

• Liked — Lazy River
  • Disliked — Internet Charges $12.95/day, Parking $9/day
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank asiribunrit
Reviewed July 20, 2006

On July 7th my husband, daughter and her boyfriend stayed 5 nights at this great hotel. I must say that our first night was a zinger as my husband had a medical emergency at 3:00 am Saturday. I called the front desk and the overnight desk manager, Michael, quickly arranged for transportation. We did not need an ambulance, however, I was very impressed by their offer to personally drive us to Sand Lakes Hospital in a company car if other transport was not quick enough. Fortunately, a town car came quickly and escorted us to the emergency room. A call to the front desk later that morning was all I had to do to get someone to pick us up and, to my surprise, the desk clerk had asked is all was OK with my husband.

Putting that first event behind us, we found the hotel to be first class all the way. Yes, there are major conventions going on but this place is so big everyone blends in.

We really enjoyed Citron for meals. Generous portions and reasonable prices. Quench by the pool also offered some great dining choices. Be aware that most drinks from the pool bar at about $10-$12. Soft drinks were about $3 and beers ranged from $3.50 and up. The Starbucks in the lobby is great for morning coffee and danish.

The best part of this resort is the lazy river and the grounds. There is plenty of room for guests to lounge by the pool and a walk of the grounds are a must. It is ajoined to the Ritz Carlton and the spa pool and the Ritz pool are beautiful.

Our room was very nice with a balcony overlooking the pool. In the evening you could see fireworks from the parks.

We were sad the leave but we will definately put this hotel on our "best list" for future vacations.

Stayed July 2006
7 Thank cascadesjn
Boca Raton
Reviewed July 17, 2006

JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes is five-star all the way.

From the expansive, manicured grounds as you enter, to the luxurious lobby, stunning room views and huge bathrooms, there is little lacking. Service is prompt and with a genuine smile throughout the hotel. (The lobby is done is a very ornate, baroque-style, which I wasn't crazy for, but that's not really a fault - just a matter of taste.)

ONE VERY IMPORTANT SUGGESTION: Splurge on a "lake front" room. It's not that much more than the regular rooms, and the view is magnificent over the pool area (more about that later) and golf course.

If I have to nit-pick, I would point out the following minor drawbacks:

1) Even most 3-star hotels today provide a free computer in the lobby or business center. At the JW, you have to pay by the minute.

2) The hotel has large convention facilities, so if you are here on vacation you will be rubbing shoulders with lots of men and women in business suits discussing business, which I found takes away a little from the "getting away from it" feeling.

3) While there is nothing wrong with the rooms, there's nothing outstanding about them, either. (Although the huge bathrooms make up for this mediocrity, in my opinion.)

4) Unless you have a room near the elevator, be aware that the walk from elevator to the room is long. Also, the walk over to the spa and salon is a long one.

NOW FOR SOME DETAILS:

We didn't eat in any of the restaurants, although based on my communication with their staffs, I would expect the service to be top-notch.

The concierge people also were very helpful.

The spa is first-class, with a huge, warm (not uncomfortably hot!) whirlpool in the ladies' section. (There may be one in the men's, as well, but I wouldn't know!) The decor in the ladies' lounge is kind of weird - very 30's art-deco. And I personally prefer relaxing "spa music" to the Mozart-Baroque stuff that they were playing. But all that is just a matter of taste.

Now about that lazy river: There is nothing like it in any hotel I've stayed in anywhere! First of all, it's heated year-round to a perfect, comfortable temperature! You can stay in for hours and not get chilled! It winds through lush, rock-lined areas, along waterfalls that make you feel like you are floating through the rainforest. And although there is music piped into the rocks, it's not too loud, and you can find quiet spaces along the route. At various points the lazy river widens into swimming pools, including a zero-entry baby pool.

You may want to bring a comfortable float for the lazy river. They sell inner-tubes ($5 a piece), but I didn't find them too comfortable! And if you do buy an inner-tube, make sure they put your name on it so it doesn't "walk off" while not in use. Everybody's looks the same.

Regarding the time-share element, you will get a phone call in your room inviting you to accept an offer of a free stay at their time-share property. But don't worry; this is not Cancun! The time-share lady sits at a desk way off to a corner of the lobby and will not approach you or initiate conversation with you at any time. If you want to speak to her, you can walk up to her desk and do so. If not, she leaves you alone.

We can't wait to get back to Orlando to float in that lazy river!!!

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank barbyb
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed July 15, 2006

This hotel lives up to what others are saying...it has an amazing pool. So much so that we came just for the pool! We didn't go to any theme parks but enjoyed the pool and the other amenities that the hotel offered.

The $9 a day self park was no problem for us and we usually got a fairly close parking spot. The one time cost of $5 for a beach tire tube to float in the pool wasn't an issue either since the hotel never did charge us for the tubes (4 in total) or the parking. Yeah!

You do need to have a car so you can go outside of the hotel to get a different choice of food and give yourselves a break from the same wonderful surroundings. Since International Drive is so close by, any and all food types are available. A Walgreen's pharmacy is fairly close by at the corner as is a number of shops just south of the hotel if you are in need of things from a grocery store called Publix. Since we're from Canada, we like to pick up a few things that we can't get back home.

We were fortunate enough to get a balcony with a pool view which enabled us to view the fireworks from various parks that go off around 10 in the evening during July. The room was large enough for two adults and two boy's 12 and 10. The bathrooms are quite large with lots of towels. The hotel gives lots of pillows but we did bring some of our clothes already on hangers since hotels are a bit stingy on offering hangers even after you've requested more. The special radio which can play CD's (bring some from home) also has sound effects such as a babbling brook, crickets chirping, waves on a shoreline, a tropical rainforrest and sounds of wind blowing. It was wonderful have these sounds playing all night while you sleep.

The service was always friendly and ready to accomodate you with whatever you required of them. We never did call back or go down to get our "free" gift from the people who are trying to sell time shares. The will call you the next morning after you arrive and the day before you leave if you don't contact them which we never did. They never even spoke to us when we passed by so I guess we were lucky or the others who've commented on them being push just didn't have the luck that we had with them.

We ate by the pool most of the time and the food and drinks were fantastic! We ate at Citron's for lunch and dinner once each and both times the food was extremely good and the service wonderful. It was great having a Starbuck's coffee shop in the lobby area and the kids enjoyed getting their hotchocolates their or the strawberries and cream drinks which they're now addicted too!

Overall this is a very nice hotel with lots of marble in the foyer area making it very grand looking but not cold. The offering of cold water with citrus pieces floating in it for a wee bit of flavour was a nice touch at the front desk.

It was my birthday and our 15th anniversary the week we went and they do ask you at the front desk if you're celebrating anything. I don't know why they ask this since nothing was done about both the things we were celebrating. Why ask if you're not going to do anything about it? I thought that funny is all.

I hope some of you found this review useful and have a wonderful time at this hotel like my family and I did.

• Stayed July 2006
13 Thank Foodiebird
Viera, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My family lives only an hour away - but we needed a little two day getaway. We found the JW Marriot just perfect for our need. The room was clean - the bed and pillows were most comfortable. The bathroom was almost bigger than the one at home..
We spent a day at Disney and came back to the hotel to escape the crowd. The Marriott is in a great location - away from the tourist crowd.
The pool was beautiful! The lazy river was just what we needed to relax after a day with Mickey.
We cannot recommend this hotel enough. From the moment we walked in we were impressed. The staff was so accomodating and friendly (you don't find that too much anymore).
We are already planning another visit in the Spring of 2007. Can't wait to go back to our oasis in the city.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank niffers65
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I am Winter Park,FL resident who needed a weekend get away with my pregnant wife. Orlando is awash with Tourist Trap Resorts that overpormise and underdeliver routinely. We needed an Oasis and the JW Marriott overdelivered.

The JW property shares a golf course and Spa with the Ritz-Carlton, as well as many other facilities and restaurants, and lives up to its neighbor's standards at every turn. From the lobby, to the rooms, restaurants, and amazing pool, you would think you were at a giant Ritz.

The Pool and surrounding lush green tropical lanscaping is truly awesome. There is a massive interconnected pool system that is connected by a "lazy river" meandering through lush landscape and waterfalls. There are many secluded lounging areas with pool chairs and hot tubs. It could be super crowded but you can find your own hideaway if you need one.

The Hotel itself is awash in marble and wood, very elegant, and feels ritzy. The rooms are upscale Marriott, nicely furnished with great open door balconies. The bathrooms are huge and well appointed.

If there was a downside it was the service, something that really sets the Ritz apart. The JW is a huge resort with lots of employees that sometimes seem to be on their own time, in thier own world.

Last year we stayed at the Ritz, scaled beck this year in cost, but had as wonderful a time. I would reccommend both hotels (each would be great with kids, JW's Pool though) to anyone locally that needs a close by, but so far away, vacation. Any visitors to Orlando will not get the typical touristy cheese here. Class all the way.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member