“Great anniversary stay”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #72 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the JW for a few nights in July. The wife and I had a great and relaxing stay, despite the occasional rain shower. I would have liked to stay on the side facing the pool and golf course, but otherwise had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed August 6, 2014

We had a great time at the JW Marriott in Orlando. The lazy river and pool were the draw for us, as our kids wanted a place to swim. It is close to Universal Studios park and close to the airport. The breakfast buffet is great, but eat off property for lunch and dinner. We had the same experience with eating at their San Antonio, TX property. There was a mix up with our reservation and the room type that I had booked, but they fixed it. This is a beautiful, convenient property to stay at - whether you are traveling with family or for business.

Room Tip: There is only one place with elevators (although there are plenty of them so you don't wait long...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I love JW Grande Lakes. To me this hotel is paradise. I don't get tired of retuning every year. It's beauty, amenities, service and elegance is the perfect combination for an amazing stay. The only negative comment I have is in reference to the service charge they implemented, well all Marriott Hotels did. It is a very pleasant Hotel and it provides outstanding service in all areas.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The golf range and shuttle transportation to disney was part of the resort fee. Buffet breakfast had everything you could want. The pools were clean with the lazy river and there were plenty of chairs. The ropes course ,however, is not complimentary and we wished that they had posted fees prior to us trecking out there. The room was nice, but not quite 5 star quality. Solid property.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The service at this hotel is truly amazing, every detail is taken care of, every chance to make a difference is taken by the staff to make you feel welcomed and at home. I've travel around the US and stayed in more hotels than I care to count, and the JW Marriott staff is one of the best. The hotel grounds are very nice, lots to do and see, well maintained, etc. There are lots of comments about the price of little things being added to the bill, but I guess I view that differently than most. I kind of expected to pay for a "Resort" which includes little extra charges here and there. There are tons of hotels in Orlando with free wifi, free breakfasts, etc., but they won't match the service and quality of the JW Marriott. I don't like eating at the hotel as a general rule, so I can't comment on the cost and quality of the food. My family and I explored local restaurants (as recommended by Tripadvisor) and had good experiences. I would stay here again and will recommend to friends and fellow business travels. The Hotel is within 5-10 minutes of Seaworld, 10-15 minutes to Disney World, and about 10-15 minutes to Universal. There are also lots of local and chain restaurants close by, close to shopping and other essentials.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Absolute luxury.....but you pay for it! We have stayed at the JW 3 times in the past 6 years. The biggest draw for us is the lazy river/pool area. The landscaping is stunning, very tropical with lots of shaded area in and out of the river which is a must in the summer. The surrounding lakes are lovely offering kayaking or pedal boats. We decided to go whole hog this trip and book the Executive Suite which was wonderfully spacious with a sep bedroom and living room and two small balconies. The beds and bedding are usual Marriott luxury, I didnt want to get out of bed.

Unfortunately, the cost of food and drinks is very high and I thought $15 min for a glass of wine was pretty outrageous! A resort fee of $25 per night is charged but that does include WiFi, tubes for river, kayaks etc so cant complain about that.

When planning our next JW stay, I asked my kids if the suite had made a better holiday rather than the basic room and they said No so I guess next time we'll spend the difference on wine instead!!!

Room Tip: View over pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The JW Marriott properties have always been exceptional and the Grand Lakes Property, located near the Villas and the Ritz Carlton in Orlando are moments away from the airport and the major parks. My second time to this hotel and even better than the first - this time enjoyed the Fitness Center, and the Spa. Service is perfect - from the complementary water bottles when you valet, to the citrus infused cooling towels in the fitness center, this is a place that encourages you to relax. The Lazy River/Pool area is lush, and with a inner tube from the store, a Bloody Mary from the Quench bar, you are transported to another world. I didn't travel with kids, but seems there are many activities for them plus the dining poolside. The rooms are comfortable - beds are fantastic. Only tough part was the Wifi in the room because of all the conference attendees, so used my laptop with wired Ethernet and frankly, who wants to work in your room anyway? Free Wifi in the lobby area and that worked well with tablets and laptops. Bathrooms have tubs, hot showers and complementary robes. On property Starbucks, and the Citroen restaurant has a full featured brunch. Can't wait to go back and would love to bring the family. Marriott Perfection.

Room Tip: Ask to have a view overlooking the bay or pooside area
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business