“Awesome oasis!”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #72 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 25, 2008

This place is top of the line. I can't think of one bad thing to say. The service, the facilities, the rooms, the food, the pool, the fitness center, even the little gift shops were fantastic. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. My room was beautiful and quiet, with top of the line amenities. The bathroom was luxurious with separate bath/shower, deluxe robes, soft towels. The elevators were super speedy, never a wait, even though the hotel was full. The service was phenomenal. The internet access was fast. I ate at Citron and at Primo and both were exceptional. All I can say is, I hope I can come back soon!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TexasTravelerAustin

Reviewed September 15, 2008

We have just returned from a long weekend at the JW Marriott. The hotel is beautiful and the service is excellent. We wanted a hotel where we had enough to do poolside because we had no intent on going to Disney. This hotel exceeded our expectations! I was nervous about security and pool chairs given other reviews. We found none of those issues previously reported. There were plenty of chairs poolside. We could find seating everywhere. The pool was pretty empty despite the weather being above 90 degrees everyday! There were plenty of hotel staff available and the poolside service was excellent. Unlike other reviews, we didn't find "locals" hanging out at the pool. The pools were lovely and the lazy river was a great!

Our room was excellent and housekeeping visited three times a day; morning (newspaper and weather report were a nice touch), afternoon (to tidy the room again and they left chocolates which were a nice touch) and evening (bed turn-down service and again, chocolates were a nice touch). We stayed on the 10th floor facing the pool. It was perfect because Sea World has a fireworks show nightly that we could see from our patio.

Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in. It was a nice mix of a luxury stay with family activities that will bring us back again soon!

RECOMMENDATIONS: Get a room facing the pool so you can see the fireworks. If you're traveling with a child, there are rooms you can request that have a king and sleeper-sofa that sleeps 1-2 small children.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveling4Three
Reviewed September 7, 2008

This is a fabulous hotel. The rooms are tastefully decorated, the bathroom was huge with a separate tub and shower. The bed was incredibly comfortable. We ordered room service. The steak was medium rare, perfect, hot and delicious! Prompt service as well.

We only had time to stay one night, so we didn't have the opportunity to peruse the rest of the property. I can only say everything was beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We stayed here over the labor day weekend. Even though it was a holiday weekend it wasn't terribly busy. They had a lot of activities scheduled for the weekend, one of which is a luau, complete with hawaiian dancers and a pig!
The staff were helpful and friendly. When we checked in we asked to be put on the upper floors with a view of the fireworks at night and they did. We also had a great deal that included the buffet breakfast. I have never seen such an extensive choices of breakfast item in all of the hotels we've stayed before. If you can, try the buffet breakfast- it is great!
I have read in the past about problems with non-guests using the pool area. Because it was labor day weekend, security around the pool was pretty tight. ( it was'nt like this the day before). They stationed several security staff in different areas of the pool. Anyone who wanted to come in had to be checked in on their hotel roster and then given a band to wear. I thought that was a great idea. I think ,though, that having the pool gates wired so that guests can just swipe their card is a better idea.
Our favorite part about this hotel is the lazy river. The pool is heated and it was just lovely to just laze around and round and round again. Oh yes, we did notice that they had a sporadic supervison around the pool in different areas of the lazy river. I think they are trying to improve on problems that guests have brought to their attention.
Keep it up JW! You have such a great hotel and grounds, your service should be the same all the time. Thank you- we had a great time!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We booked our stay online with Marriott at a discounted rate which the hotel refused to honor upon our arrival, despite our presenting a written confirmation from the hotel showing the discounted rate. After arguing with management for the four days we were there, we were finally given a rate that was still $30/day over the reservation price. The management there is not concerned about customer service, unless you are a convention guest, of which there were literally hundreds while we were there. (One of the convention goers told me that several members of her party got food poisoning from the sushi.) This hotel is pretty, but definitely not the place to stay for a vacation.

2  Thank travelsalot38
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Hubby and I spent four nights here beginning Labor day. Wonderful room, absolutely spotless. The turndown service was great and the housekeeper always gave us a big pile of chocolates! Maybe it was due to our tip but I know my husband appreciated it. The fragrance in the lobby is very relaxing and immediately put me in a "vacation" state of mind, though other guests might find it too strong. The staff were quick, efficient and professional without being too pushy or "in your face". The prices at the restaurants are pretty outrageous, but it's a resort so I was prepared. For example, two wrap sandwiches, one margarita and two beers at the pool bar ran $75. It was the best grilled shrimp wrap I've ever had, though! Well worth it. The pina colada was wonderful and I made sure to indulge everyday! Primo was AWESOME. Dinner with a good bottle of wine ran $150 and I didn't regret a cent.

My husband and I LOVED the lazy river. The pool shop (where the innertubes can be purchased for $5) was closed when we first arrived, so we just hopped in and swam around. We discovered it was such good exercise to do it this way that we never even bought the floaties! Late in the week, I made a comment to my husband that I kind of felt like floating, but as we only had one day left I wouldn't bother purchasing one. My husband said, "They aren't free? So this whole time, everyone just thinks we're being cheap?" We got a good laugh about that.

It was a slow week so my husband and I never had any problem getting chairs or service. The only annoyance I had was when a got a cut at the pool and ran up to the front desk to see if they had a band-aid. They were a little too efficient and made a call to security to bring me a band-aid before I could say "don't worry about it". Unfortunately, since I had just trotted up from the pool, I didn't have a cent on me and the security person had his hand out for a tip. Awkward moment that I usually avoid by keeping tip money handy, but oh well!

We also loved loved loved the fitness center. We work out at a pretty nice club and let me tell you--it doesn't have anything on the Ritz fitness center. Absolutely first class, perfect temp, water bottles handy, immaculate equipment, you name it.

I read reviews on TA obsessively before choosing a hotel and I can't remember ever being too disappointed. I am pretty picky about things, but I also have the ability to have fun and just let things GO. You can find fault with any place, but I was hard pressed to find anything to complain about. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We stayed at the JW Marriott in Orlando over Labor Day weekend and absolutely loved it. The rooms and lobby were very nice. Our favorite part was the lazy river pool - it was so tropical! Also - the Marriott did have security at the pool entrance over the weekend verifying that everyone entering the pool area was a hotel guest. So we did not have any trouble with over crowding at the pool and there were plenty of pool chairs! Overall - a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple