“Rest and relaxation, natural beauty, gourmet dining, and luxury accommodations”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #70 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My image of Orlando includes crowds, traffic, noise and madness to go along with the fun, magic and lots of stuff to do in the area. My recent visit to Grande Lakes Orlando showed me a different side I had never experienced in Central Florida. "Miles from the madness; minutes from the magic." But that's not all. Rest and relaxation, natural beauty, gourmet dining, and luxury accommodations are just some of the things I was treated to when I stayed there recently with a group of girlfriends. The highlight for sure was the guided kayak tour of Shingle Creek, the Headwaters to the Florida Everglades. I can't wait to come back for a future family vacation!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank annakoby

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a great hotel and offers convenience, activities, an amazing pool area with a lazy river and the staff is exceptional. Great for kids. The rooms are large, well appointed, and the property is clean, quiet, and very well maintained. The even have an organic garden that the restaurant uses for it's kitchen. The only downside is the cost of drinks and food. You are paying at the high end for cocktails, soft drinks and meals. We sat at the Lobby bar for a couple hours and had 2 rounds of 4 drinks and the tab was nearly $150. The Sushi at the lobby bar is amazing so we didn't mind paying up for that. We attended a function that week at the hotel and the costs for the cocktails and soft drinks were expensive. A bottle of water was $6, a can of beer was $8 and cocktails were anywhere from $12-17 and that's a little out of hand, even for a resort. Remember, this is Orlando, not Fiji.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I'M a platinum Marriott Rewards member. The Internet access in the room and lobby is abysmal. For a supposed top tier Marriott property, I am unbelievably disappointed. I have had much better connections at lower tier Marriott properties like Springhill Suites and Courtyards. At those properties, Internet access is complimentary for all. I get it for "free" as a platinum member at his hotel. When I called the front desk, they asked if I was connected to the correct wireless connection. I asked if there were more than one. The answer? No...just that one.

The AC is also not working.

#jwmarriottorlandofail

Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank triguydenver
JazzyVazquez, Administrative Assistant, Rooms Division at JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Our goal is to make sure our guests are always satisfied. I want you to know that your concerns regarding Internet connectivity are being looked into by our Management Team. Once again, thank you for letting us know how you feel as this is the only way we can improve our overall operation.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Grande Lakes Orlando for a girls weekend recently. It was an absolutely amazing trip!

We loved the pools and all of the activities available. Between the Greg Norman signature golf course, kayaking in the headwaters of the the Everglades (so much fun!), relaxing in the lazy river, cooking classes, fishing excursions and more -- there is truly something for everyone!

The resort has several delightful restaurants that offer a wide variety of farm to table meals. The food was the most amazing food I have ever experienced!

I can't wait to go back with my family!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stay at the JW Marriott at least once a year. The most recent stay was the past labor day weekend; the service was wonderful, great fireworks display and an awesome deal on the rate. Its always better to pay a bit more and walk away with an unfrogettable stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank frtrot03
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the fabulous JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes for a week in June. I picked this hotel for two reasons, I love the Marriott brand and the pool! My husband was here for a convention so I spend most of my days at the pool. I loved the pool area here! There are plenty of chairs with umbrellas, there are five pools connected by a lazy river, and the whole pool area is very clean. A little note, if you want to use inner tubes in the lazy river bring your own. You can buy an inner tube at the pool but they're not worth the money. I never felt the pool was crowded and there were always plenty of lounge chairs throughout the day to be found.

Check-in was very quick, there is a special line for Marriott Elite Members. Another note, I am a silver member and one of the perks offered to me was free self parking or an extra amount of points (I can't remember how many, maybe 500?). I took the free self parking! I wish we would have known about the free parking because we chose to valet park so we were charged for one day of valet parking and the rest of the days we did the free self parking. I have read several reviews complaining about the walk from the hotel to the parking lot. Really? It wasn't that far of a walk. Just a few minutes and you are there. Clearly none of the complainers have ever stayed in a casino hotel in Las Vegas because that is a long walk to the parking garage!

Our room overlooked the pool area and was very spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable, not too hard and not too soft. There was an iPod/iPhone dock so you could play music . The bathroom was huge! There were lots of free goodies in the bathroom, lotion, shampoo. body wash, shower cap, q-tips, cotton balls, and bar soap. Each night for turndown service we received chocolates on our pillow, although the last two nights we only had one chocolate. There was a refrigerator in our room but it was not turned on. I'm not sure if you have to pay for it to be turned on. There was a smalls safe to put your valuables in. I felt there could have been more drawer space for your clothes but we made do. The closet was a nice size and we were able to get our luggage in there with no problem. Like other reviewers have said, the decor of the hotel is a bit outdated and is not as modern as the JW Marriott in Miami I stayed in. However, that would not stop me from staying here again.

The hotel is not within walking distance to anything. You'll have to hop in the car and go out for food if you don't want to pay the high prices of the hotel eateries. There is a Starbucks in the hotel lobby but they do not sell breakfast or lunch sandwiches. They do sell oatmeal, pastries, and cookies. I went to the Cafe Bodega one morning for a breakfast sandwich. I felt for $8 it was not worth the money for a small croissant with bacon, egg and cheese. I went back the following day for lunch and had a buffalo chicken wrap, it wasn't bad, but again not worth the money. I found a fantastic breakfast spot about a mile up the road called Keke's Breakfast Cafe. It's amazing! We went there four times during our stay! I highly recommend going there!

I found out every Friday in the summer Sea World comes to visit the lobby right outside the entrance to the pool area. They bring two penguins with them and you can watch the penguins do what penguins do. The Sea World employees tell you all about the penguins and the exhibits at Sea World. I thought it was pretty neat.

Overall, another great stay at the Marriott brand and I would most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Grande Lakes Orlando, featuring the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels, is the perfect blend of fun, luxury, relaxation and surprise. While I have always enjoyed an Orlando vacation with the entire family in tow, I have never thought of Orlando as a couples’ destination or as a place I would visit with girlfriends. Grande Lakes Orlando changed all that for me. With a seemingly endless number of activities and spots to explore, Grande Lakes Orlando is a destination perfect for any type of Orlando vacation.
With some of the finest restaurants in Orlando on-property, Grande Lakes has much to offer for foodies. Most of the restaurants utilize the resort’s vegetable, fruit and herb gardens in their meals and purchase meat and fish from local farms and fisheries. There wasn’t a single dish I had during our stay that was anything less than superb. The resort also offers cooking classes for adults and children.

Activities abound at Grande Lakes. You don’t need to leave the property to feel like you have had a very full and fantastic vacation. Grande Lakes offers a Greg Norman designed golf course, The Ritz-Carlton Spa, adventure experiences including fly fishing, canoeing, kayaking and eco-tours on the headwaters of the Florida Everglades, 3 pools including a lap pool at the Spa, a quiet, serene pool at The Ritz-Carlton and a very fun lazy river pool at the JW Marriott.

If you are headed to Orlando for a family vacation, Grande Lakes offers free transportation to most of the major theme parks and an incredibly helpful and knowledgeable concierge team to help you make plans, find deals and make the most of your time in Orlando. The Ritz Kids program offers an abundance of activities to keep kids delighted while at the resort and a very fun Ritz Kids room full of games, toys, and media to keep kids occupied and happy for hours and hours. With the new addition of in-room camping, Grande Lakes brings fun to a whole new level for kids.

Off-season rates are incredibly reasonable given the plethora of amenities and activities at Grande Lakes Orlando, a resort stay is very budget-friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business