“Great experience for the family! , amazing pool, good golf course”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #72 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed 7 nights in August for family vacation. Being a platinum member, I requested for an upgrade to a suite when checking in but they told me that one would be available after 2 nights so I was upgraded to a suite for the final five nights. Ask for the lake/swimming pool view instead of the city view.

Property. It's a very large property which they share with Ritz Carlton. It has a very tropical feel everywhere especially the pool areas. The lazy river is 3-4 ft deep which connects the various pools which is between 3-5 ft deep. No shortage of chairs even though the hotel was pretty packed. The pool bar/restaurant was great, the food was delicious and when we did have a problem with couple of items, they did correct the problem right away. The prices for the food was reasonable, however the alcohol drink prices were off the charts. This plus the 18% mandatory gratuity can add up quickly. I did not have issues with the gratuity since the service from the bar/staff was outstanding. The only complaint I had was the pool /restaurant restroom which was disgusting. We ended up coming back in to the hotel to use the restroom.

Golf: it's a course shared with Ritz right the property. It's a decent track designed by Greg Norman although I feel the course at Shingle Creek and Omni were better. You can save money by booking through golfnow.com instead of calling the course or the concierge. I payed $39 vs the $89.

Service. Overall this is where they shine from the bell hop , housekeeping, and front desk staff. They were all very friendly and my family did appreciate the friendly service. The only minor annoyance was the Marriott vacation club sales people who have a desk set up in the lobby and also near the exit to the pool who will keep asking you to go see their timeshare property when you walk by.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with the pool/lake view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,273)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Have now stayed in a few different JW's, this is by far up there. The pools are absolutely wonderful, lazy river is a MUST! We totally chilled out here away from the hustle and bustle of the theme parks. Staff are majorly helpful, breakfast is phenomenal, eggs Benedict here only surpassed at JW Grosvenor House in London... Wish we were returning again this year- not enough annual leave!

Car parking is quite expensive but valet is only minimally more expensive than non-valet... Make sure you are not next to the lifts, they are noisy!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stay at Marriott's 150 nights per year, for business. I know and appreciate their service. However, its when I travel for personal reasons, with the family, that I am appreciative with the experience is good. My experience at the JW orlando was fantastic. I stayed there with my wife and 3 young children, for 1 night, prior to heading to Port Canaveral for a cruise. Highlights:

- I used points for this stay. Instead of booking 2 rooms as I normally do, I decided to just save and put everyone in one.
- When checking in (which was instantaneous), they ended up giving me connecting rooms, the 2nd room complimentary. This is unheard of for me, and I was very impressed and grateful.
- The pool experience was great. Plenty of chairs. The lazy river is fun and relaxing. I appreciate how they sell tubes (reasonably price) vs. "rent" them.
- The lunch food at the pool restaurant was great, as were the drinks.
- There is a Starbucks in the lobby (didn't use), and another coffee / sandwich shop right next door. I found those choices interesting. The non-Starbucks concept was cool, had shorter lines, and fantastic pastries and sandwiches.
- The gym, which is shared by the connecting Ritz Carlton, was one of the best I have used in any resort

Each person I interacted with were true service professionals. Even the person attending to the fitness center.

What a great hotel to bring the family.

1  Thank Mainstream_Traveler
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was my first stay at this Marriott and I was very impressed. I was there for a conference and it was top notch at every level. The rooms were clean and nicely done. The restaurants on site was very good. The pool was really nice with a lazy river. It is a perfect hotel for business, couples and families. I will absolutely come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This resort does not disappoint! The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and the lazy river is relaxing and beautiful. The lobby of the hotel is amazing, and the beds are very comfy. We enjoyed this hotel very much.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my second stay at the JW Marriott, and nothing to say but it is the ultimate top. Role model service, top rooms (I had view on the swimming pool and green), excellent ameneties. A fabulous sense of luxury without ostentation and a affordable price. Although I was in Orlando for business, I had the chance to use the swimming pool: simply amazing, clean, and here also top service. Same for breakfast and restaurnat: perfect !
Thus, really a great venue, exceptionally well managed and where quality of service and customer experience are full part of the culture. Will go back again, for sure !

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank trip041
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent five nights at the JW in early August and had a wonderful stay. We had a lake view room on the 22nd floor with a king bed and a roll-way for our 12 year old daughter. The grounds were beautiful and lush with a fantastic pool and lazy river. Our daugher LOVED the pool area and managed to fit in time each day to float on the lazy river. We did not eat on the property since we had heard about the ridiculous prices. Our room had a mini-fridge so we purchased milk and cereal and had that for breakfast each day. Lunches were out at the various amusement parks as was dinner. We rented a car and since we were Marriot Silver level, we did not have to pay a daily parking fee. The hotel was centrally located -- close to Sea World and an easy 20 minute drive to all the Disney properties. All in all, it was a great visit and we would definitely stay there again if we head back to Orlando.