“Does almost everything right”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #73 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just returned from a long stay with family; I've stayed here and at the neighboring Ritz-Carlton for work several times in the past.

First, the considerable pluses: this is a beautiful resort, and it is well-maintained. The staff are exceptionally friendly - as solicitous as the Ritz-Carlton staff next door, but a little less stuffy. On the whole, our not-too-high-brow family felt really welcomed here. The restaurants are very good, featuring local food prepared inventively; even the pool bar had some different options that were very tasty. The lobby and conference areas were very nice, the rooms are comfortable (the executive suite even more so!), and the conference center is top-notch. The little conveniences, like enough elevators to get you up and down without a wait, are there. But the lazy river pool is the true differentiator here. It is spectacular, and where my family spent the entire trip (while I worked)!

Now the few downsides: Disney's Yacht and Beach Club is my point of comparison, and it's pool is legendary for being an attraction. The JW's is better, in my book, especially because the lazy river is so much more extensive and the landscaping is so lush. It is transporting. But at the Disney pool, a team of lifeguards watch every square inch of the pool, which allows parents to relax and give tween kids a little more freedom to roam. Here? Not so much. There are staff around who are lifeguards, but they primarily are picking up trash, refilling water jugs, etc. I recognize that the nature of the pool would require a big increase in lifeguards to fully staff, but it would be welcome. The JW also has activities for kids, similar to a Disney resort, but far fewer, more that you have to pay for, and generally not poolside with music. The other area resorts make the activities and music work together to give you the feeling of being at a pool party, and that isn't the case here. But the biggest beef is the inner tubes.

You can't go down a lazy river without somethimg to float on, right? Except here, you have to BUY the float, for $7 and up. Which means unless you want to buy a new one every day, you have to keep track of it and carry it up to the room. Which looks absolutely ridiculous in a nice hotel. There HAS to be a way to do this more easily - let people check out floaters (maybe even charge them, and maybe even give them the option to buy them to take home) without dragging them around the hotel all week. My daughter was bummed when her first floatie sprung a week, and devestated when someone walked off with her second one. The staff was great in both cases, but, really? A check-out system as with towels would have avoided a lot of hassle and heartache.

Others have noted the prices here. $18 to self-park, more to valet. Starbucks markup is about 20%. I had a yogurt parfait and fruit cup my first day that cost $12 (though to be fair, it was the best yogurt parfait I've ever had); the breakfast buffet in the restaurant ran almost $30.

Finally, a pro/con on location. You are isolated from the sprawl of I-Drive theme parkland, which is wonderful. The resort is in an area of town that feels almost residential as you drive in, but within the resort, all you see is green. The downside is, you are a captive audience. The closest place to go is the RaceTrac gas station, which is the Ritz-Carlton of RaceTracs, but you can't even walk THERE. One note, by the way; it's a lot easier to get here via 417 to John Young Parkway than to go I-4, and at the exit onto John Young there's a nice towncenter with a great breakfast place (Keke's) and a Publix.

But the other thing about the location that, even as a non-environmentalist, bothers me is that this beautiful golf course resort was built at the headwaters of the Florida Everglades, one of the nation's ecological treasures. Now, the Ritz plays up its eco-friendliness, and teh JW certainly does its part, too, but having read that the most devestating thing to Florida's ecology is a golf course, which pumps immense amounts of water out of the aquifer and dumps tons of algae-feeding phosphates back into the system, the eco-stuff all felt...hypocritical. Here's hoping the Grande Lakes folks discovered a "green" way to run a golf coursethat avoids these hazards. If so, that would be a super story to tell while plugging the kayak eco-tours.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing the resort have a great view of the fireworks at all the theme parks
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Drays7

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Simply put, this is a 5-star, over-the-top, luxury hotel. It is probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. This is not usually my type of luxury; I was just tagging along with a friend to a conference in Orlando. Just getting up to the hotel is a beautiful experience; the grounds are meticulously manicured and gorgeous. There is a golf course, lake, and just beautiful greenery all around you. I have never seen grounds this nice.

When you enter the lobby, you are taken aback by the beauty of it and the architectural details. It is magnificent. There’s a stairwell near the elevators that is really amazing! All the employees are SO nice and welcoming and pleasant; they all smile and greet you warmly. Check-in was a very nice experience. The self-parking lot is kind of far from the hotel, so a very nice kid gave us a ride with our luggage in a little cart – he was so nice and helpful. (The self-parking situation is atrocious but I’ll address that last.) There is also valet parking (my advice – USE IT!).

The room was normal-sized and nothing special; it wasn’t any bigger than a regular hotel. The furnishings were nice, but, again, nothing special. What made it stand out was the very, very comfortable beds and linens. I swear, I think those sheets were ironed!! It was so luxurious to get into that bed at night. There was no frig in the room, but there was a little coffee pot. There’s a nice closet and plenty of storage space. Pretty-much a standard hotel room. The windiws were big, so it had a lot of nice, natural light. The A/C worked good - you want that in Orlando, Florida, in the summer.

The bathroom was far superior to any other hotel I have seen. It was huge and on one side had a big tub, and on the other side was the toilet and a nice, glass-enclosed shower. I have never seen the tub / shower separate in hotel rooms. The sink was in between the two, and had beautiful marble countertops, and nice cubby holes to store your stuff. There were plenty of big, fluffy, white clean towels and high-end shampoos and soaps.

Now, let’s talk about the pool. OMG, what a beautiful pool. It is SO big that you can’t even photograph it. There is a shallow pool for kids, some little riverways to float on inter-tubes, waterfalls, a hot tub with a waterfall, and, no matter how many people were there, it would never fill up because it is so huge. There are a million lounge chairs, and there’s plenty of shaded areas, as well as sunny areas. The pool is really a masterpiece. Look at my photos; all the photos are of a different area of the pool. And, the pool overlooks a lake. Beautiful, really. The landscaping around the pool is just gorgeous!

There are restaurants (and a Starbucks) and shops inside the hotel. There is fine dining, as well as other places to eat. It is all very expensive.

The hotel is on a main road, so any way you drive about 10 minutes away from the hotel you will find shops, restaurants, etc. It is closer to Universal Studios than it is to Disney World; but, neither is really far. It’s very close to Sea World and International Drive where all the Orlando tourist night life is. It is only minutes away from 528, which takes you to I-4 or to the Florida Turnpike, and the airport. It’s only about a 15 minute drive to the big Florida Mall.

I am giving this hotel a top rating of 5 stars; it actually deserves more. But, it wasn’t without its issues, which I am going to address now.

The hotel is EXPENSIVE. Very expensive. I would never choose to spend this kind of money on a hotel room. That being said, I could get VERY used to the luxury; I would just never be the one paying for it. My friend got a decent rate for a conference she was attending, so that was good; I was happy to freeload.

There is a charge of $9.95 a day for the wi-fi. But, in the lobby you can get wi-fi free (I opted for that; I wasn’t paying for wi-fi!) Pay for wi-fi - really?!

Now, the parking. The parking situation is a nightmare. If you can afford to stay at this hotel, you can afford the valet parking – because the self-parking is where the hotel is totally lacking. First, the self-parking lot is FAR from the hotel entrance. Second, it’s 18-bucks a day to park (seriously, with the price of the hotel, self-parking can’t be free?). Third, I went out for a few hours and when I returned, the lot was FULL. There’s an overflow lot, which I had to park in, and it’s even a FARTHER hike to the hotel lobby. Oh, and I’m not done complaining about the parking. Your room key SUPPOSEDLY opens the gate to get you in and out. The 3 days I was there, it NEVER worked. And, not just for me, people were lined up every day trying to get out or in. One day, they left the gate in the up position, so that was good On the day I left, I had to scream into a squawk-box to get them to open the gate. The kid who rides around in the cart was VERY helpful, but he has a lot of chores and wasn’t always there. When I came back on the second day and there were no parking spots, he showed me where one was. But, there was only so much he could do. It is an INSANE parking situation that the Marriott should really address. Again, take my advice – if you stay here, opt for the valet! Save yourself the aggravation.

Normally, my disgust for the horrible parking situation would bring down the stars on my review. But, for this hotel, I really can’t do that. It is truly a 5-star resort hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had the best experience staying at JW and using their property as well as the Ritz-Carlton, which is a close walk next door. The restaurants have fresh, wonderful food. The staff always has a smile on their face and the rooms are spacious, pretty and well kept.

The grounds really are lush and beautiful. The lazy river at the JW is awesome, plenty of chairs for everyone. For a little more luxury the Ritz-Carlton has a comfier lounger chair (it's your choice which pool you visit). They also offer a kids club, called Ritz kids, so you can get a break - JW has crafts to do with your children as well.

Had the best massage at the Ritz-Carlton spa - then you get to use their beautiful spa pool as well!
You can't go wrong with either of these hotels. Can't wait to return next year.

Room Tip: My room was right by the elevator and it was still quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We usually stay at the JW the last couple of nights of our beach vacation so my husband and I can relax by the pool and be pampered before heading back to work and this year we decided to stay a week in an effort to also use up our Disney Passes. We had an amazing time. We stayed in a king suite and it connected to a double room that grandma stayed in with one of our daughters, while the other daughter opted for the comfortable pull out bed...so she could have her own room:) Rooms were as always beautiful and clean. The girls love the turn down service...or at least the chocolate and the way the maids include their stuffed animals on the beds after they are made. We stayed lakeside on the 11th floor with a great view of the Disney fireworks and finally saw the alligator in the pond, along with a turtle and many fish from our balcony up above.
The breakfast buffet was wonderful with delicious blueberries and mangos...a new favorite with the girls this year. We enjoy seeing Oscar making omelots, pancakes and French toast every year - always friendly and pleasant - glad he is there. We usually opt for a package deal that includes breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children.
The lazy river is amazing and the reason we go back here year after year. We have been to the San Antonio JW and prefer this one over that one. The girls enjoy the poolside activities every couple of hours...some you have to pay for and others are free. Sam became a good friend to them and greeted them every time she saw the girls. The pool service was good and there were always plenty of pool chairs - we would not make it to the pool until 11 and there was always plenty of towels and chairs. We do bring our own tubes...that we bought there several years ago. Sea World brought a couple penguins on Friday for a few hours that was really nice and interesting for everyone, plus had a free raffle in which they gave away passes to Sea World. Very nice (we did not win) but they also brought sunglasses, Frisbees and other promotional items that they gave away.
We did go to Disney a couple of days...which was miserable planning on our part...felt like over 110 degrees at the park and overcrowded at the park. We still have a couple of days left on our Disney pass because we preferred the JW over the park! The food is sooo much better at the Citron at JW. My daughter ordered a peanut butter sandwich at Disney and got an uncrustable, at the JW she got a huge double decker PB&J that she could not finish and the price was cheaper. Had the best Filet Mignon at the Citron as well - it melted in my mouth, after that we opted to eat at the hotel over tourist places. The service and food was so much better!
This was the first time we used the spa here and we loved the experience. So beautiful and we will go again.
We cannot imagine staying anywhere else in the Orlando area.
The only thing I would change...is that Marriott has Pepsi products and I prefer Coke and one that they can change is that they have the activity brochures for the month by the elevators and it would be nice if they included one in your room on the day of your arrival.

Room Tip: Always choose lakeside!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My daughter and I vacation every summer together and usually stay at the Waldorf Orlando. Well we decided to give JW a try after reading all the great reviews. I can tell you we were happy with the choice from arrival all the way to departure. It was a huge difference from the stuffy environment at the Waldorf.
As soon as we drove up our car door was opened and we were greeted with a fabulous smile and welcome from Brentley w/Valet. Then we encountered Bellman Jordon who was super nice,gave us bottled water and took our bags while waiting for us at check in. At check in we were greeted by a very sweet Emily who also was super nice and helpful. We event got upgraded.Then Jordan took us all the way to our room with luggage.

The Lazy river and pool area are the best!!! The grounds are beautiful. We actually only left the hotel a few times to shop and eat. Where is we usually leave several times to find things to do..

We ate and drank mostly around the pool. The pool servers we absolutely fabulous. We had Jeff, Maureen and Ercan. All equally friendly and accommodating. Super great at what they do.

Starbucks staff were super friendly everyday. We got room service once and the server Maria was so sweet.

My only complaint would be is that the food and drinks are over priced. You can spend 100's each day in no time. We didn't eat at the breakfast buffet, because I don't eat much and spending $25.00 a person didn't seem to make sense.

We did go to Bahama Breeze and a few other places to eat to save some money. I think they'd sell more food to people staying at the resort if it wasn't so expensive. We wouldn't have to leave.

All in all the 5 day mini vacation was super fun and we will most definitely be returning to JW! Waldorf not so much!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, in room fridge and be aware that you'll be spending tons on food and drinks.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked the Couples Getaway Package which included Champagne, and chocolate covered strawberries, breakfast for 2 and parking!

We were not disappointed, our room on the 11th floor overlooked the golf course and pool. The staff was very friendly and accomaditing. The buffet breakfast was outstanding, with a chef zavailable to cook pancakes and french toast and eggs to order. We used the pool afterwe checked out and showered at the Spa at Ritz which adjoins this property. Thanks for a great Getaway!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a very beautiful resort property. I have stayed at the JW Marriott properties in Florida, Texas and Arizona and all are very impressive properties. This one did not disappoint. The drive up was very impressive with views of the Marriott and the Ritz with a nice layout of the golf course, the valet staff was very friendly and attentive, and, unlike most hotels, the lobby to check in was immediately inside the door as opposed to some walk and search mission. The check in staff was well staffed and again very friendly and attentive. I was there for a seminar and they were sure to get me to where I was going quickly and to make sure I always knew where I was. There is a café on the main floor and a Starbucks along with two clothing shops and a little convenience shop, all of which are fair priced for a resort. There is also plenty of outdoor space if you bring kids in back of the hotel for them to run around without fear of them running into the golf course along with the pool area. This is a little bit of a drive, although not too bad, maybe 30 minutes I would guess, from the Disney parks, but worth it if you are a Marriott member to stay here. If you have an issue with walking or are older, I will tell you that walking from one side of the hotel to the conference center will be a challenge for you, as it is a pretty good walk. If you have an Amigo, you may want to bring it or leave plenty of time to get where you are going. This is a good sized property from one end to the other. You will always be inside in the air conditioning, but there are several conference areas that you may need to go past to get where you are going. Keep this in mind. One thing I will say, as well, is when you first come to the property, the signage on the outside of the property does not mention the hotels, it simply says "Grande Lakes". This means the hotel entry. Why it doesn't say Ritz or Marriott is beyond me. I had to turn around which is no big deal, but could be a little more notice. Also, once on the property, pay very close attention to the small road signs about where you are going as they can be difficult to spot. I opted for the $25 valet parking. There is free self parking available, but it is a pretty decent hike, especially if you have kids or luggage. This again, though, is a very, very well maintained, beautiful property. In reality, I would give it a 4.5 but that is not available. Not as nice as the one in Santa Fe, but very, very respectable place that I would come back to.

Room Tip: If there for a conference, make sure to ask for a room close to the conference centers because can b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business