“Upscale, luxury resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Valdosta, Georgia
“Upscale, luxury resort”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here during a work seminar the first week of July. The JW Mariott and the Ritz-Carlton are on the same property and are connected by a breezeway. This is definately a high end hotel. Even though we had 3000 people checking in on the same day, the staff handled the process profesionally and courteously. The room was immaculate! The bathroom was large with a tub and separate shower, marble floors, and upscale toiletries. The bed and bedding was amazing! But the best part was the view from my room. My room was on the 20th floor, pool side. The city lights at night were beautiful and I watched the fireworks at Disney from my balcony every night. The property had multiple pools, a hot tub, and a "lazy river" that flowed around the pools. The kids on the property loved floating in the lazy river. There were multiple restaurants on the property. All were pricy but in line with most hotels of this caliber. I enjoyed my stay very much. If you're looking for value, this is not your place. But if you are looking for a clean, safe, professional resort, this is it.

Room Tip: The views from the higher floors, pool side, are stunning, especially at night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sarasota, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was a very busy July 4th holiday weekend, the hotel was packed and poolside chairs were non existent by 11AM. We would like to commend Mr. Steve Lipshutz and Mr. Kelly Harris for their extra attention to us and our unfavorable situation. The service they provided in securing us with a place to spend the day went above and beyond our expectations. They truly made us feel special and we thank them both for their generosity, attention and commitment to personal service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here for a week while visiting the theme parks in the area while my wife attended a conference.

The hotel was amazing, visually elegant, outstanding service by the bell staff, valet, room service and guest services. David who works the front area (Valet?) was especially helpful with advice and recommendations, however all the valet staff were exceptional.

The pool area and lazy river were excellent, what a great amenity for the hotel. Pool was clean and water was nice and warm. The wait staff at the pool were wandering the area, taking drink orders, however not one approached me during my multiple visits to the pool, resulting my having to go to the bar area to get drinks.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was a bit expensive but the selection was large and varied, with a variety of freshly baked pastries, made to order eggs and lot's of types of breakfast meats and sides.

Room service was also good, however a few small details were overlooked, like bowls for ice cream, and the proper number of flatware for the number of meals ordered.

Housekeeping was hit or miss, some days the room was cleaned well, other days, it appeared a quick tidy up was done and that was about it. Coffee was not refilled after the first use and I had no in room coffee for the remainder of my stay, resulting in my having to order room service coffee or go to the starbucks in the lobby. The rug in front of the shower disappeared on our second day, only to reappear on the fifth day. In the mean time, we had to use a bath towel to step on when exiting the shower. We had to request extra towels every day, as the housekeeper did not realize that she needed to leave extra towels even though we asked her for more when we saw her in the hallway on our first day.

The hotel location was convenient to the theme parks but was also nice and secluded in its own little complex.

Room Tip: There are two banks of elevators, with about 4 elevators in each bank, so even if you are on a high...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CJGGSP
Ponca City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place is first class all the way. The pool and lazy river are wonderful. There are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas so no one has to get up and run outside at 6AM to reserve chairs like so many resort areas. There is a Starbucks, deli and a little shop for incidentals. There are plenty of grounds for a romantic stroll, and the exercise facility is awesome. The bad news is, it is going to cost you. I ordered a margarita by the pool and with mandatory tip, tax and resort fee it was nearly $18. If you don't drive to the hotel and have to rely on taxies, then that will cost big bucks as well b/c they don't allow taxies (only black town cars) to stay at the hotel, so you are a victim to the gouging drivers who set their own prices. The Florida Mall, which is 7 miles, cost $35 EACH WAY in a town car. When we got a van (for a large group) to go to a restaurant that was 4 miles away it was $90 round trip. You must also pay a daily fee for Wi-Fi in the rooms and a tube for the lazy river is $7. If our conference hadn't been at this hotel, I would not have stayed here. If you've got a money tree growing in your backyard, go for it. It's a VERY nice place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side balcony room. Bring your cocktails with you. Bring your own flotation device f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the JW four nights while I attended a conference. The first night I checked in (at 1:00 am) I was told there were no double beds left even though I booked a room with double beds more than two months prior. A second group arrived later that morning (about 1:30 am) and some of those people were able to get their room changed from a single bed to a double bed. When I approached the manager (2:00 am) and asked why he was able to make an exception for them he said it was because something became available. (Give me a break!!!! Something became available between 1:00 and 1:30 am?) My guess is that because I "look" young and was wearing jeans and a t-shirt was treated differently but to be honest I don't know. Needless to say the first night I slept on a roll-away. The second day I must have made enough noise to get a change of rooms.

My second gripe is about all the extra costs. First, I must admit I normally don't stay in hotels of this "caliber" so maybe this is normal. There is no breakfast included in the cost and basically any meal there will cost you around $20. Also they charge for WIFI. Give me a break, the Motel 6 would charge $60 and include both of these.

Now don't get me wrong the hotel building is very nice/fancy. So if you have several hundred dollars to drop and don't mind getting a different room than the one you requested, then this might be the place for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Luke R
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. The entrance lobby is gorgeous, very clean and comfortable. The front desk's persons were very professional and nice. Our check in was suppose to be at 3 pm but we arrived at 9 am and one of the room was ready.(we had two rooms)The hotel has a beautiful lazy river to enjoy all day and is connected with Ritz Hotel so you can enjoy both places.

The negative thing is the is an extremely expensive installation, Beside the lazy river and the beautiful garden of the hotel there are not another thing to do there.

Keep in mind these extra charges: refrigerator in a room, parking, internet, pool tube. You can see a lot of person in the pool with their own snack (chips and soda) because, for example, a glass of beer is 9 dollars plus tax.

Was a nice experience but I have been visit better places

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony. We pay the same rate for 2 rooms ($257) one had balcony and the other one...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our family stayed here last summer. The room was large, luxurious and very clean. We had a great time floating in the lazy river and enjoyed a great lunch at the pool restaurant. Drinks are a little pricey but worth it. We also dined at the Italian restaurant which was great as well. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We had a great time

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family