“Good hotel, exceptional golf”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #73 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few days before going to a conference at a nearby hotel. The hotel was clean and well appointed, exactly what you would expect of a JW. The lobby bar had good food and was open later, we also had room service (excellent burger but overpriced). Everyone we came in contact with was friendly and professional, again exactly what you would expect from a brand like JW. All the rooms had balconies, and couches, as well as a spacious bathroom. The pool was amazing with a lazy river and lots of seating. Then there was the golf... This is technically the ritz-carlton golf club, but its is attached to the hotel. The course is a greg norman design and is as challenging as they come, the course was perfectly maintained, and condition and service wise was the best I have ever played. The golf course concierge, Jonothan, was amazing attending to every need and providing pleasent surprises along the way, the gentlman I played with actually had played there the week before and Jonathan remembered that he had a long flight home, had a bad back, and that his wife had been under the weather, and gave them a back warmer for the flight home, now thats service!!!! What was even more amazing is that he had only worked there 2 months! If you get a chance stay at this great hotel, and get in a round of exceptional golf, you will be blow away.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
JazzyVazquez, Management Team at JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It will give me great pleasure to let Jonathan know how impressed you were with this service.

Thank you for visiting our resort!

Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,307)

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Traveling solo for business this
Marriott was what I'd hoped for.
My requested king room on high floor wasn't ready, but a double would suffice, as was granted a much needed early check in. Valet parking was pricey, but isn't it always? Room had small balcony overlooking lazy river and lovely grounds. For one or two people it's fine. For a family, it would be snug.
The bath was large with nice amenities, and seperate bath and shower. But the best was being able to use their sister property, The Ritz Carlton. My lunch of
ahi tuni served poolside was quite good. Service, Ritz standard. Pool, quiet and relaxing.
Before check out the next morning, I found a secluded spot near the crowded lazy river, and
enjoyed my cup of java.
I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two nights at this resort. Such a beautiful, well designed resort. One nice touch is that every staff member was eager to greet you and help you. Never had that before. I mean from the lobby to the cleaning crew. Everyone would greet you. The resort is huge and you can also use the Ritz Carlton property which is nice. One could just stay at the resort and never go anywhere else. They gave us a list of activities for the weekend and on top of that there were many other things to do. The pool is the best and biggest I've seen at a resort. It goes on forever. Room was well appointed and the bathroom was also quite large. We will definitely return to this resort! Well done Marriot!

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for posting such great review. We are thrilled to learn your time with us was splendid. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Management Team

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel is still very nice and great spa property. The pools and amenities are excellent. The rooms are a bit dated but still very comfortable and nice.

The restaurants were wonderful.
Ritz Carlton and Marriott share the gym and spa facilities. I really enjoyed the gym. I can say one of the best I have been to. I decided to get a massage and really enjoyed by day at the spa. The pool and the spa food were excellent. But my massage therapist was the worst. But the facility was clean and enjoyable.

I really recommend to spend a day at the lazy river and enjoy the GYM.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the JW over Memorial Day weekend 2013. It was my husband and I plus our 3 children, ages 4, 8, and 11. Our intent was for a one day visit to Legoland plus some pool time and that's what we got. We got a package that included two connecting rooms - one with double beds and one with a king. We also got a 2pm checkout on our departure day, breakfast for 4, unlimited ice cream for the kids, plus 4 free "pool toys" which was inflatable tubes to use on the lazy river. We also got self parking for free due to my husband's Elite status. There was still a charge for internet use, however. I felt like the service was great, the rooms were very nice - great showers (separate bathtubs). There was lots to do on the resort besides just swimming. Our family enjoyed the game room, some foosball, the sandbox, outdoor DJ, walking around the vegetable garden while eating our ice cream, and much more.
The breakfast buffet was very good. We had an 8am reservation the first day but the second morning we showed up at 9 and did have to wait for about 20 minutes. There were plenty of selections and I thought the food was good. We also ate at the poolside restaurant for a few snacks and thought it was very good and that the service was good considering the crowds.
We probably enjoyed the lazy river more on our arrival day because it was not very crowded. We tried it again on Sunday morning but it was very crowded and we had to put our towels and belongings on the ground due to all of the rude hotel guests reserving pool chairs at 7 a.m. with a mere magazine and not claiming these chairs until after we left the pool at noon. I guess they were at Disney World and were worried there would not be any chairs when they returned at 8pm???
Besides the general selfishness of humanity, we really enjoyed our trip to this JW Marriott and will consider it when returning to Orlando in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mara J
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just stayed at this beautiful hotel for the last three nights. We enjoyed the lazy river, the beautiful grounds, and the most amazing shower in our bathroom. It was very crowded the first day we were there since it was the last night of Memorial Day weekend. The hotel ended the weekend with a GRAND display of fireworks of the lake.

Room Tip: We had a parking lot view, BOO. Bring your own pillows, I hate feather pillows and the foam one the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Let me start by saying that my company paid for this stay. I am sure it was very expensive, but I didn't have to pay so I don't know if it was a good value or not. Also, I am not usually a resort traveller. I don't like to spend my money on my room. I like to spend it on activities, dining, etc. Just give me a clean bed in a safe place and I'm good to go.

Here's what I discovered......

The JW Marriot and the Ritz Carlton property share the resort. Guests from both hotels have access to the pools at the other. Don't bother with the Ritz pool. It's a very boring, no frills pool. It is less crowded, which actually may be a draw. The Marriot pool is several pools, connected by a lazy river, in a tropical setting. The one downside is that you have to buy the $7 intertubes, if you want to float the "river". To me it was a rip-off, but to the non-budget-minded usual clientele of this hotel, it probably wasn't an issue.

Both hotels share a fitness center that's midway between both. Great amount of equipment and never had to wait for anything. They do offer fitness classes, for $20. I opted to save the $20 and use the cardio equipment and weights.

There are a few restaurants on site that are reasonably priced. There's a Starbucks and a few convenience stores/delis inside the Marriot.

Elevators were fast and we never waited too long for one. The rooms were plush and very well maintained.

Downsides:
No free wifi in the rooms or pool area. But there was free wifi in the lobby.

This property is sooooooo far from the attractions/theme parks and the only thing in walking distance is Walgreens. You have to rent a car if you stay here, but then you have to pay probably $20 a day to park (guessing). I did notice a bus stop near the resort when I was leaving. I wish I had seen it earlier. The private cars at the hotel are $35 each way. A taxi to Universal Studios cost me $25.

The restaurant at the pool is ridiculously slow. 30 minutes for salsa and chips. 20 minutes for your drink to be delivered. 60 minutes to receive your sandwich. Skip this place entirely. Or, order as soon as you get to the pool and by the time you actually get your food you'll be nice and hungry.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the forest have a nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business