“Great Meeting Place”

JW Marriott Orlando, Grande Lakes
Ranked #73 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If your planning a large group for a meeting. This is a great place!

Service and rooms are great. Along with the food service.

All meals were ready on time as well as a wonderfull staff that would greet you by name when the would see your name badge.

Room Tip: Request a room on the lake side. Unless you enjoy a parking lot view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,291)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've been to lots of beautiful hotels. My husband travels a lot for work and I sometimes accompany him. Currently staying here to celebrate birthdays/baby moon . It's a very large property shared with the Ritz Carlton . It's feels very resort like with beautiful swimming pool with lazy rivers and beautiful landscaping. It's has such a pleasant aromatherapy fragrance when entering. This hotel has several dining options . I'm used to metro area prices and its no worse than anywhere else. I'm pretty sure this will be our go to hotel while staying in Orlando. The level of service is excellent. The food is above average with a full service Starbucks. My hubby used the gym which is located at the RC. I did not use the spa services. My husband is a gold member and the wireless Internet fee was waived. We also was given the option of free parking and 500 points. We chose the parking since it saved us 18 dollars a day. We love it here. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Felicia W
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Great location away from the the Disney rush. The pool was excellent with lots of chairs. Staff over all was excellent except for the front desk. First time I have ever complained about checking into a Marriott. Front desk was not very friendly and non-accommodating with reservation that was booked. Manager refused to speak with me when requested ( standing 10 feet away talking about personal issues). All other staff were excellent. Food is very good and hotel was spotless. If not for front desk. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a large vacation/convention hotel located on the outskirts of Orlando, near SeaWorld.
Reservation: seemlessly made on line.
Check-in: a little understaffed for a conference but very fast and courteous.
Room: large, modern, well furnished and quiet, but quite a hike from the elevators. Great shower and bathroom. Nice flatscreen TV. Comfortable bed and high quality linens and towels. NO refrigerator however.
Pool: great for lounging. BUT the lap pool is only open free of charge from 5 am - 9am...not too good if you have breakfast meetings unless you want to get up before dawn. Otherwise, it is THIRTY dollars to use. That's right $30!~~~
Internet: fast enough, but once again $10 per night AND even if you pay for it it doesn't work in the conference center attached to the hotel. It is free in the lobby however.
Parking: for surface lots, expensive even if you self park.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the elevator banks unless you like to hike down LOONNNGGG corridors.
1  Thank Tackle
Reviewed May 2, 2013

As I was heading out from the JW Marriott to the airport at 5:30 AM in one of their 24/7 town cars always on site, I pondered this question. I suspect many millions of dollars in market research have been spent on the same topic. Does the size of a hotel and the reality of it belonging to a chain, no matter what the pretension make it impossible to be 5 star no matter what? I think it is a fair question.

I can find no specific fault with the JW Marriott yet I realized during the drive that I mentally started looking for them. Were those towels really fluffy enough? What about the amenities? How noisy was that noisy air conditioner? What about that furniture, all with the sameness of a chain? I found myself looking for things to be critical about, and I decided that in fact there was really nothing wrong with the JW Marriott at all. I could look in a microscope hard enough and come up with little things, but is this really the point? I don't think so, and I think that a truly 5 star hotel experience does not even have you looking for things to be critical about because the place is just so great that you feel special about it.

I don't think it is possible for a hotel of this type to have that special feeling. The scale is just too large, there are just too many people, and no matter how well trained the staff is, the feeling one gets is that the entire experience is just not special and memorable. It may be that one could have a memorable event in the JW Marriott, but I have a hard time believing that a stay in the hotel itself could be memorable, because really it isn't any more memorable then any of the giant hotels in Vegas is or could be memorable. In order to accommodate the many guests it just may not be possible. In many ways this hotel is moderate upscale Vegas without the gambling.

I could not find anything wrong with the JW Marriott unless I looked hard, and why bother. It is nice, it is very nice, it is probably as nice as a hotel of this sort can be. But I dont think that anyone will ever name it as one of the top hotels of the world because it simply can not be one. It is not 5 star and it never could be. It's location is in sort of a created park by the side of a parkway. There is nothing there other then the Ritz and the JW, if you want to stroll after dinner there is nothing there, there are no restaurants other then the hotel restaurants, doing anything really requires getting back in the car. It is just a nice chain hotel, nothing more or less - and that is fine.

I can recommend the JW Marriott as a very nice chain hotel. Hopefully their aspirations are not any higher then that and neither are yours.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed here for a conference, and I have to say I was not overjoyed. Yes, the staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and the pool was very nice, but I really don't get why everything was quite so expensive. We were in a 4 person room, but we really were just squeezed in a 2 person room, with 2 beds barely big enough for 2. Also, why would we have to pay extra ($10 a day) for wifi in the room?! My own Dutch provider was even cheaper than that. The complimentary wifi in the lobby was spotty, at best. The AC for some reason had to be turned to freezing everywhere, so even though it was 30°C outside I had to bring sweaters and scarves whenever I had to be indoors (like for the full week during the conference).
The food was nice though, but as this hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere there's not a lot of choice, if you don't have a car or don't want to take cabs everywhere.
So, I'm not saying this hotel was awful, it was nice enough, but certainly not worth all that money.

1  Thank Martine v
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stay at this JW every summer for 8 nights to visit friends, family, and just relax. The hotel just gets it right, every time. First class front desk (Alex Ortega in particular), incredible pool/grounds, immaculate rooms, etc..... If you can find a negative review, its usually some cheap **** that is whining about how much his beer cost by the pool. Give me a break! And just for the record, they have a good "bucket of beer" deal at the pool anyway. Expensive, or course! Worth it, yep! See you in July JW Grande Lakes! PS- If in Phoenix, stay at the JW Desert Ridge...NICE!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends